The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-12-2020, 10:45 AM

Default Factors that contribute to feel?

I have a Yamaha LS16 and an AC3 - the AC3 feels to me that it requires more physical force to strum and to finger notes (the difference in strumming seems more obvious) I've looked at them and looked them up and I think the neck length is the same. It feels like the AC3 has heavier strings but I use the same strings on both

What factors beside scale length (if that's right) would make these guitars feel different?

I understand my imagination / expectations may be a (the...) factor; the sound does seem, to my imagination, to match the feeling. Do you think the relative loudness of the LS16 (so I feel I have to push the AC3 harder) might account for it?

If there are physical factors, does anyone have any ideas - particularly about these two guitars but also generally - what contribute to feel - particularly with strumming / fingerpicking resistance - I figure string height could be a factor in pressing down the string but for strumming - I feel like I can go faster with greater ease on the LS16.

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2020, 10:50 AM
Get off my lawn kid

The setup of the guitar needs to be reviewed by a competent Luthier. It sounds like a neck relief and nut slot issue.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-12-2020, 10:53 AM

Did you look at action (string height) at first and twelfth fret ?

I did own a LS-16 and action was just perfect for me, while Martins generally have high action when going out of factory.

Action is the overlooked but so major factor, the one that makes you play or forget a guitar.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:06 AM

Thank you both. I've had the AC3 set up perhaps it needs a tweak - I'm able to play both fine, I was just wondering about the difference and didn't understand that set-up was a factor in strumming resistance - it sounds like that's the answer.

I do remember the AC3 being easier to play (in terms of pushing down strings / action) after it was set-up but it seemed the sound of the low notes - which sold the guitar to me - was less vibrant - so I'm wondering if there's a tradeoff?

Anyway, thanks - I think you've answered my question; I'd been wondering for a while.

Phil
Old 08-12-2020, 12:38 PM

I've owned both. I had the action so low on my AC3R, it played like an electric guitar, but the acoustic tone suffered greatly. There is a point where getting the best playability sacrifices acoustic tone. I find the A series necks to be super comfortable. If you are struggling with playability on an A series, it definitely needs a setup. I left the action on my LS16 higher than I would've liked to get the best possible acoustic tone from it. I find the neck profile of the LS16 to be less comfortable than the A series. The string spacing is different on the two guitars. That could be a contributing factor.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:56 PM

I can claim no expertise here but got the sense that a higher saddle would transmit more energy through the bridge - so more sound. With a higher saddle, you can still have low action if the neck angle is set correctly. Some guitars make that easy to achieve, others it requires resetting the neck. Maybe your LS just started out with a better neck angle?
Old 08-12-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
The setup of the guitar needs to be reviewed by a competent Luthier. It sounds like a neck relief and nut slot issue.
What he said. I picked up an Advanced Jumbo without playing beforehand. The sound was great, but I did not like the way it played at all. And I had troubles keeping it in tune. I have been playing classical music on an Alvarez Yairi so I felt like the two instruments were just so different that the difference was the issue. Bought some new tuners, but they were going to require some mods, so I ended up taking the AJ to a luthier. He looked at it and chuckled. He changed the nut and the saddle and...magic. Same tuners. Having the instrument properly set up may make all the difference in the world. It did for me.
Old 08-12-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Hey Barry - that was my initial thought when I read the OP's question.

psax (OP) - One thing to try to determine if your nut slots could be lower is to put a capo on the first fret. Is it easier to play?
Old 08-12-2020, 06:03 PM

Thanks again everyone for all of your help and suggestions.

Both guitars play fine (as far as I can tell, I'm a relative beginner on guitar).

I was wondering what might account for the difference I feel between the two in terms of the amount of force it takes to strum.

it sounds like what you all are telling me is that either could be set up to feel like the other - unless the string spacing / neck shape were what made them feel different to me.

I am going to put new strings on the AC3 if memory serves that generally makes them feel more responsive (and very bright - at least right away).

Thanks again to all of you for your help!

Phil
Old 08-13-2020, 07:44 AM

I think the strings are a little closer together on the AC3. That could be a factor.

There is really so much that can impact feel. Setup is a big part of it, but there can be variances in set up. String spacing... nut height, fret type, fingerboard material, neck shape, resonance... Feel can be a strange, wonderful cocktail of many different facets.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 08-13-2020, 08:43 AM

The advice to have a pro set it up is spot on. There are a whole host of factors involved. Typically on just about any guitar, even high quality factory guitars, the nut needs to be tuned. People are often times shocked at how much better their guitar plays after the nut is tuned up and the rest of the guitar as well.

But sometimes you still have this phenomenon for other reasons too that go beyond a set up. Things that include scale length, FB radius, fret size and wear, shape of the neck, and so on.
Old 08-13-2020, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

I's not all about the set up. Is the fret board edge rounded or a square angle? What is the radius of the fret board?

A large part of how a guitar feels to me has to do with the responsiveness of the guitar. A real responsive guitar always feels better in my mind. And easier to play. A guitar that's not very responsive will find the player pressing, pushing and picking harder.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion