The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-05-2018, 05:28 PM

Default Martin vs. Taylor? No, no ... PC vs Mac

I’m still constructing the hobby studio I mentioned here about a month ago (thanks to all who’ve chimed on my Noob questions) and I’m looking at its core - the computer. It’s clear that even Pro Tools First requires an upgrade from my 6-year-old Windows laptop. So I’m looking to this forum’s collective wisdom on what might be a hot topic ... is there a legitimate, performance-related reason most hobbyists and production pros prefer Mac over PC?
2015 Northwood R-80 MJ
Old 06-05-2018, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstroop View Post
I’m still constructing the hobby studio I mentioned ....
Do you get your lumber and supplies in a Chevy or Ford pickup truck?

hmmmm.......?

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 06-05-2018, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I’m still constructing the hobby studio I mentioned here about a month ago (thanks to all who’ve chimed on my Noob questions) and I’m looking at its core - the computer. It’s clear that even Pro Tools First requires an upgrade from my 6-year-old Windows laptop. So I’m looking to this forum’s collective wisdom on what might be a hot topic ... is there a legitimate, performance-related reason most hobbyists and production pros prefer Mac over PC?
The computer (Mac or PC) really does not matter, particularly for a hobby recording studio. Sure, certain software and some hardware only works on one or the other, but most software and nearly all hardware work with both.

Your main investment will be your time in learning how to use the equipment and software.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

Hi JS,

My only experience is with the PC and Windows, both at work and at home. So I have no idea what might be good about a Mac. My son runs a side business doing music for video, video games, podcasts, etc. and he uses a PC. He advised me on what kind of computer to get for my studio computer based on what Dell had available. It has worked out extremely well for me for both my music and video work at home and also my remote work for my old company where I still do part time work.

I am not an expert at this, just a user with a few years of experience. You might call the folks at a place like Sweetwater and ask to talk to one of their experts on this subject. From what I know, Sweetwater does not sell computers but they sell all kinds of recording software, so I think you will get a reasonably unbiased opinion about what would work best.

My own feeling about computers is that I know PCs after working with them from the beginning and I also know that you can get more computer for your money from a place like Dell than you can from Apple. So based on pure economics (and my own prejudices, of course), I saw no reason to move away from the PC.

You just need a fast enough PC, loaded with lots of RAM and fast hard drives plus a lot of hard drive capacity. I would think that the Sweetwater folks could advise you on what you need. They would probably ask you what recording software are you going to use first. For me, I decided to use Steinberg Cubase because that's what my son was using. My logic was, if I got stuck, he could help me out. That has been the case several times over the years.

Best of luck JS! I hope this has been a little helpful to you!

- Glenn
Old 06-05-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi JS,

My only experience is with the PC and Windows, both at work and at home. So I have no idea what might be good about a Mac. My son runs a side business doing music for video, video games, podcasts, etc. and he uses a PC. He advised me on what kind of computer to get for my studio computer based on what Dell had available. It has worked out extremely well for me for both my music and video work at home and also my remote work for my old company where I still do part time work.

I am not an expert at this, just a user with a few years of experience. You might call the folks at a place like Sweetwater and ask to talk to one of their experts on this subject. From what I know, Sweetwater does not sell computers but they sell all kinds of recording software, so I think you will get a reasonably unbiased opinion about what would work best.

My own feeling about computers is that I know PCs after working with them from the beginning and I also know that you can get more computer for your money from a place like Dell than you can from Apple. So based on pure economics (and my own prejudices, of course), I saw no reason to move away from the PC.

You just need a fast enough PC, loaded with lots of RAM and fast hard drives plus a lot of hard drive capacity. I would think that the Sweetwater folks could advise you on what you need. They would probably ask you what recording software are you going to use first. For me, I decided to use Steinberg Cubase because that's what my son was using. My logic was, if I got stuck, he could help me out. That has been the case several times over the years.

Best of luck JS! I hope this has been a little helpful to you!

- Glenn
Thanks, Glenn. I appreciate your thoughts and input. The fact that I can get a lot more performance for the money was bending me toward a PC, but I wanted to check some other opinions, too.
2015 Northwood R-80 MJ
Old 06-05-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Do you get your lumber and supplies in a Chevy or Ford pickup truck?

hmmmm.......?
Uuuhhm ... Hyundai SUV, actually.
2015 Northwood R-80 MJ
Old 06-05-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
The computer (Mac or PC) really does not matter, particularly for a hobby recording studio. Sure, certain software and some hardware only works on one or the other, but most software and nearly all hardware work with both.

Your main investment will be your time in learning how to use the equipment and software.
This makes sense, thanks.
2015 Northwood R-80 MJ
Old 06-05-2018, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

Smile PC vs Mac

Second the notion that you can get equal performance from both a PC and a Mac. I have used both. I opted for PC to save money and because I like building my own computers.

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut
Old 06-05-2018, 08:42 PM

Quote:
A long time ago Pro Tools only ran on a Mac. So everyone who wanted Pro Tools bought a Mac...and many of them continue to do so, even though Pro Tools now runs on Windows.

A lot of others want to use Logic & that will only run on a Mac.

My suggestion is to go with whatever you're most comfortable with.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 06-05-2018, 11:46 PM

Good info, Tnx.
2015 Northwood R-80 MJ
Old 06-06-2018, 12:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
From what I know, Sweetwater does not sell computers...
Sweetwater does, in fact, sell computers. I've bought two Mac desktops from them in the past. They also sell rackable pc workstations which, I believe, are custom Sweetwater products.

One of the upsides to ordering from Sweetwater when you're first getting started is that they will set up the computer and optimize it to work with the other products you're ordering. My first order from them back in the very early 2000s was for a Mac Pro, a Digi 001, Pro Tools and a bunch of other software. When I received my order, all I had to do is assemble it and make the connections. All the software was installed and running correctly. As I recall, at the time I could have saved $200-$300 by buying from other sources, but I felt the extra cost was a worthy investment for the extra service before shipment.

As for PC vs. Mac, clearly the OP can go in either direction. My own personal experience tells me that Macs are more stable, but there's also a learning curve. If you're used to working on PCs, you may not finds Macs very intuitive. That said, I still prefer a Mac for my studio for the stability but folks can go either way at this point.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 06-06-2018, 06:43 AM
Charter Member

Either platform OSX - Windows (Mac _PC) will work fine. And both are currently using Intel chips . The decision there is more about which platform workflow and or what specific software you want to run.

The notion that you can get "More performance for your money with a PC " is both true, and also not really true.
It is true that you can often order a PC with high performance CPU ,memory, Graphics card etc. and with only minimal software say Windows and a DAW then you will be at a lesser price point . Or if you are tech savvy and know what components you actually need for your specific needs, you can get the components and and assemble it yourself at significant savings
However once you start using adding in all of the software that is included with Mac ,
Video editor, DAW, Photo editor, various word processing etc. etc. and use all the same or equal components to a Mac
the price difference becomes less and less

In all out performance only per dollar yes, in overall features and performance per dollar not so much.

One thing I would definitely look at for the future is getting some other DAW than PT First, (even though I am a dyed in the wool PT user) because while it is a great tool for getting a feel for working in PT the 3 project limitation and cloud only storage, will quickly become problematic

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 06-06-2018 at 07:08 AM.
Old 06-06-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
... One thing I would definitely look at for the future is getting some other DAW than PT First, (even though I am a dyed in the wool PT user) because while it is a great tool for getting a feel for working in PT the 3 project limitation and cloud only storage, will quickly become problematic
I was not aware that PT First had a limit on the number of projects you could do. Thanks for the heads-up.
2015 Northwood R-80 MJ
Old 06-07-2018, 11:18 AM

For years I had worked on Windows only but about five years ago I got a great offer on a new(ish) iMac which I couldn't turn down.
I have experience with both platforms and I don't think that Macs are better in any way for audio production or even more stable. My next computer will be a Windows based as usually you get more value for the same money.

The only Mac I wish I could have is the new iMac Pro 18-core 128 GB Ram 27inch which costs as much a new car.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Sweetwater does, in fact, sell computers. I've bought two Mac desktops from them in the past. They also sell rackable pc workstations which, I believe, are custom Sweetwater products.

One of the upsides to ordering from Sweetwater when you're first getting started is that they will set up the computer and optimize it to work with the other products you're ordering. My first order from them back in the very early 2000s was for a Mac Pro, a Digi 001, Pro Tools and a bunch of other software. When I received my order, all I had to do is assemble it and make the connections. All the software was installed and running correctly. As I recall, at the time I could have saved $200-$300 by buying from other sources, but I felt the extra cost was a worthy investment for the extra service before shipment.

As for PC vs. Mac, clearly the OP can go in either direction. My own personal experience tells me that Macs are more stable, but there's also a learning curve. If you're used to working on PCs, you may not finds Macs very intuitive. That said, I still prefer a Mac for my studio for the stability but folks can go either way at this point.
I bought one of Sweetwater's "creation station" PCs and they installed everything on it for me before it arrived. I literally only had to put my components into my rack and connect the wires/cables to everything. All the software had been registered using the email address I provided as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD