The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-17-2017, 03:13 PM

Default Busking amp recommendation please

Hello, I was looking for a busking amp for a friend. Cost is a factor. He will be on public transportation. He will be using a takamine with a built in pickup.
Thanks for all your help.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:28 PM

Read this thread, watch Necrome's video
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=448174

First you hear more the ac-33 then more the ah4x4, there are more videos in this thread.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

Last edited by Cuki79; 05-17-2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:37 PM

I think the link to the thread isn't working.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:56 PM

Kustom has the PA40 battery powered with blue tooth , I've got the non battery PA50 and it's very good considering it's $99 the PA40 is $199 haven't tried it but if it sounds like the PA50 it's a winner. If you need more volume you could link two together
Harbinger and Alto has similar units

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2017, 04:11 PM

I guarantee you that a reasonably sized AC powered amp, like the Schertler, AER and or Fishman Loudboxes, even the mini, will simply destroy the sound I just heard in that video.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
I guarantee you that a reasonably sized AC powered amp, like the Schertler, AER and or Fishman Loudboxes, even the mini, will simply destroy the sound I just heard in that video.
Change the link
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=448174

We did not deny that Dannyg1, but then you have to carry an inverter and a battery.

The Schertler and Fishman will have more warmth: definitely.

My JAM150 weights 13Kg, if you had the weight of the inverter and a lead-acid battery... ouch. The AH4x4 is 6.5Kg.

Quality has a weight.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 05-17-2017, 04:20 PM

Been digging through some older threads. Will it be necessary to get a separate battery, pa, amp or some combination? Sorry zero knowledge on the subject.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:25 PM

Default AER

moreover The schertler and AER cost 2.5 times more.

He said he wanted something cheap.

Another problem with lead-acid battery is that it is better to maintain them under tension (float voltage). Li-ion are smaller, lighter, and require less work.

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 05-17-2017, 04:51 PM

Default Busking amp recommendation please

Quote:
Originally Posted by numb fingertips View Post
Been digging through some older threads. Will it be necessary to get a separate battery, pa, amp or some combination? Sorry zero knowledge on the subject.

Hi numb! Is he in Chicago like us? There are fewer options for buskers in our local stores. Plenty of high end stuff, but not much battery powered equipment. He'd probably have to order online and experiment. Sweetwater is good to order from. Most stuff comes overnight. What is his budget? How long a battery life does he need? For $200, CASD57's suggestion of the Kustom PA40 seems like an excellent solution. Otherwise the Roland street cubes seem to be the defacto choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Usually buskers like to travel light so they don't bring a PA but a simple combo amp. (However Maui 5 go and JBL eon one Pro going out this summer could change things)

You can either go the old fashion way.
1) Find a nice little amp that works with normal 210V AC and use an inverter and a motorcycle battery. So you need
-an amp (Fishman mini is nice as Dannyg1 suggested, 8" amps from Schertler, AER and Fishman are great but use quite a lot of power to run).
- a battery (and a bit of knowledge about how to keep them in good shape)
- a charger

2) Find an amp that is made to work on battery or already have one.
That includes the Roland AC-33, Crate Taxi... The AH4x4 that works also on lithium-ion 18650 cells (but needs a charger), the one Necrome and I use.
Or product like AER compact mobile2, Acus one for street. They are expansive and use usually a lead acid battery. Those don't need a charger. But still you should charge the battery once in a while to keep it in good shape.

Note that an AER compact mobile cost 1799$ at GC and weights 18.74 pounds.

As usual it is a compromise between $, sound, weight, ease of use.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 05-17-2017, 05:11 PM

There isn't much working difference in actual cost or weight between using a good AC powered amp with an inverter/battery/charger combo, especially if you buy a power station source with all of those attributes (provided that it's lithium based).

I need to say that I've never heard the Bugera AC60 but I trust jonfields45 when he says that it holds it own against more expensive opposition. Weighs 15.2lbs/6.9kg, is 11x13x11 so very small. Costs $250/212.5 with MF coupon.
A 15ah lithium, pure sine power bank can be had for around $300 and will power the amp for around 4 hours. 10-14lbs.

Total 25-29lbs, $512-550. Manageable, fairly small and not more money, but gets the power and sound right.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:30 PM

It seems odd to me Martinguitdave, that with the firepower you cart around, you could recommend either the Roland or this Kustom thing. There's a local open Mic I play where they us a kustom pa50 as a monitor and it can't even do that. I can't think of any possible use for it. It's woefully underpowered and barely makes sound at all. The Roland is louder I'd bet, even at 1.5w.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Hi numb! Is he in Chicago like us? There are fewer options for buskers in our local stores. Plenty of high end stuff, but not much battery powered equipment. He'd probably have to order online and experiment. Sweetwater is good to order from. Most stuff comes overnight. What is his budget? How long a battery life does he need? For $200, CASD57's suggestion of the Kustom PA40 seems like an excellent solution. Otherwise the Roland street cubes seem to be the defacto choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
To run an AC amp, you'll need a powerful enough inverter, a powerful enough battery and a big enough charger to quickly charge said battery. And a cart probably, to wheel it.

Inverters are rated for current draw, not amp output watts. You probably want a pure sine model, more expensive by far.

Batteries are heavy and aren't as durable as you might think, unless you buy lithium which are not only lighter but last longer through their charge curve. A 15ah lithium will give same run time as a 25ah lead acid.

Chargers can be bought to charge batteries quickly at not much of a premium over overnight chargers. Batteries like slow charging better.

Last edited by dannyg1; 05-17-2017 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:37 PM

I personally know the OP. My presumption is that his buddy is a novice busker and doesn't need a big rig yet. If his buddy was a pro, I suspect he wouldn't need to ask this forum. Those little speakers are fine for standing on the corner and being ignored by passers by. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-17-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
It seems odd to me Martinguitdave, that with the firepower you cart around, you could recommend either the Roland or this Kustom thing. There's a local open Mic I play where they us a kustom pa50 as a monitor and it can't even do that. I can't think of any possible use for it. It's woefully underpowered and barely makes sound at all. The Roland is louder I'd bet, even at 1.5w.

Depends on how loud you want to be, how loud your stage is. I used a modified Peavey solo 15 watter as a monitor and using a Twin Reverb as my amp, I could hear the solo just fine. I'm not a busker yet but I've read alot about it and the way I understand is you don't want to be too loud anyway,

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification