The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-02-2018, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Default Ever just hear one song have "the tone" and completly sells you on it

I thought about dabbling in nylon string guitars. I do not want a classical. I want a crossover. I've always just curious.

To me, and my ear and my values of tone, *THIS* is ever single thing I could ever imagine or want in a nylon guitar sound. This is so perfect - every time I hear this one specific clip I instantly become rabidly GAS-ed about getting one. But I am limiting myself to this exact guitar, as no other guitar I have heard, sounds exactly like this one.

P.S. sorry Chris for calling you out but you're a GAS enabler

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 07-02-2018, 01:44 PM

Very nice. I studied jazz arranging for the guitar for about seven years and recognize numerous standard "techniques" he has employed for harmonizing the melody. They made me smile.

I liked his arrangement very much. Less thrilled with the tone of the instrument.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:14 PM

Is the guitar plugged in, or no?
Old 07-02-2018, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Tone is pretty realistic - dry and clear. Many, many nylon recordings I prefer much more, even my own
rather hasty recording of Vals Criollo I did a few years ago.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-02-2018, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax Burgess View Post
Is the guitar plugged in, or no?
No, that is the natural acoustic tone. For me it sounds perfect. Simply perfect.

Old 07-02-2018, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
No, that is the natural acoustic tone. For me it sounds perfect. Simply perfect.
What playback gear are you listening to that youtube with?

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-07-2018, 06:19 AM
Charter Member

I just noticed someone put this clip up. The guitar is a 2005 Taylor NS52ce with D'Addario EJ-44s. I had the factory electronics (I think it was a Fishman pickup) pulled out and replaced with a Barbera Transducer. That is, of course, not really relevant for this clip since it is straight acoustic (unplugged); however, it sounds great amplified.

Since this was informally recorded on an iPhone, I agree that the tone is not all it could be. It sounds better live. However, remember this is a Taylor and a crossover. You are not going to get the ringing tones and sustain that you can get from a high quality classical guitar. I personally love this little guitar. I have much more expensive instruments (including custom made guitars), but I seem to pick this one up most often for just "around the house" playing. Very comfortable action and reasonable tone. This and the NS72ce model are pretty good "bang for the buck" guitars if they are priced right...Sorry about the GAS-enabler thing...Chris

YouTube Site

Last edited by CCFingerstyle; 07-07-2018 at 06:25 AM.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:10 AM

Fazool:

Yes, I understand the bind of 'that one guitarism'. I would question whether it is 'the guitar' or a combination of all the things that make up tone -- the guitar just being one of those things. Strings, nails, touch, style...we all know the list and yet, there sometimes one that speaks volumes!

I too am a Taylor nylon fan. My wife bought me a NS72CE in 2002 when they first came out. It was exactly what the 'doctor ordered'. I had a great steel string and a very good classical at the time, but...you know the rest. I have not bought a guitar since then and have no GAS. None.

I hope you find one to take home and work with. I favor rosewood/cedar over mahogany. But, certainly each one will have it's own voice. Bringing out the best of that is our challenge as an artist.

Here is a link to my Soundcloud. I have recently redone all of my recordings on this page. You should find them relatively consistent through out. All the recordings were made within a day or two of each other with only a Shure sm81 mic at about 14" from midway between the sound hole and bridge. They were modified in Audacity by adding just a little reverb.

They are the best tone I can produce from this guitar (although I would happily accept guidance for improvement).

regards to all,
David
Old 07-08-2018, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
What playback gear are you listening to that youtube with?

I use a Realtek high definition surround sound audio card and Audio Technica studio headphones

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical