The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-15-2013, 10:46 PM

Default Don't tell me your fingers are too short... Hand in a bag

Ledward Kaapana playing with his hand in a bag. Apparently his Uncle would do this so a young Led couldn't see what he was doing. Lots of chatter up front, but once he starts playing, watch out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWroL8aOAFQ
Old 06-17-2013, 06:06 AM

However, Ledward's hands look huge and powerful.

My hands are small AND my fingers are small. As such I cannot "cup" my hand to get reaches on certain chords such as 2nd position B chord (the A shape up the board) with with the index finger holding down the D-G-B strings and my ring finger on the Eflat note on the A string.

At least not yet anyway.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:12 AM

Default Don't tell me your fingers are too short... Hand in a bag

Work on holding and positioning of the guitar and your position as well. I have seen little Asian ladies play very well on classical guitar. Except for some extreme reaches(which I can't perform), I'll bet you can be successful with the instrument. It might have something to do with finger flexibility too... Which takes time and repeated practicing.

Bryan

Francisco Navarro Concert Classical
Francisco Navarro Student Flamenco
Eastman AC708 Sunburst
Seagull S6
Cordoba C-5
Fender Strat MIM
Old 06-17-2013, 04:03 PM

Muriel Anderson has relatively small hands and fingers, but she plays very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWEVKZYr8OA
Old 06-17-2013, 05:29 PM

Default Fingers too short

My teacher sent me this video after I told her my hands were too small and my fingers were too short to play the chords she was asking me to play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4tVgadI3Lc

I never complained about my hands or fingers ever again. This video taught me if there is a will, there is a way.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlK View Post
However, Ledward's hands look huge and powerful.

My hands are small AND my fingers are small. As such I cannot "cup" my hand to get reaches on certain chords such as 2nd position B chord (the A shape up the board) with with the index finger holding down the D-G-B strings and my ring finger on the Eflat note on the A string.

At least not yet anyway.
I do believe you can't fight destiny. Just make sure it is destiny before you give up on something! It may be that you have to change your mental approach like Django had to. It may be that you end up having to play in Open tuning to make your musical dreams come true. Most of my playing is in Open G. I can sight read in it. I'm just now working on sight reading in standard. I may give up on it too. My brain asplode!

As long as you maintain love for what you are doing, I have confidence you'll find a way to achieve your goals!

Personally my little finger nails grow in way beyond the tip of the finger pad.
Even if cut flush, they stick out farther than the pad. Over the years I've had to adapt, and there are some things that others may view as basic that I have developed work arounds for. It wasn't a big thing to begin with in my case. But I have a feeling everyone could lend a story about the thing they couldn't do that they've worked around.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:09 PM

Default My fingers are just fine..have both arms ....

..and all my limbs.

It's my brain that won't yield.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlK View Post
My hands are small AND my fingers are small. As such I cannot "cup" my hand to get reaches on certain chords such as 2nd position B chord (the A shape up the board) with with the index finger holding down the D-G-B strings and my ring finger on the Eflat note on the A string....
Karl,

The A-barre shape is a tough one for most people. I can tell you I had to play that chord shape in different positions at least 1,000 times to get to where I could hit it cleanly... most of the time.

The best way to practice is to find a few songs that use that shape of barre. I doesn't matter if it is B or C or C# or whatever... just play it and keep playing, you will get it.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write