The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-09-2024, 05:24 PM

Default Mitchel's Platemate

I have a very specific question about the Platemate. This is a minor annoyance, but: I had a cracked bridge replaced on my D-18S and found out that it had a bridge plate CAP, apparently put on at the last bridge change. Since I've had the new one, when I put on strings I find them slipping even after seating them and putting in the pins...pitch drop and redoing it. I had to redo three times for one string. Never had this with the previous bridge. The Platemate has notches in its holes. If it were installed backwards, with the notches facing the rear instead of the soundhole, would the ball ends maybe lock into place better and avoid this problem?
Old 01-09-2024, 07:13 PM

Default a thought

Use a lighted inspection mirror (or a borescope) to inspect the strings' seating against the bridgeplate next time you notice the instrument dropping in pitch.

Also....

In this weather in the colder parts of the world, any guitar left on a stand overnight WILL drop in pitch as it shrinks from drying out. Make sure you're hunting for the right snipe.

And don't try to outsmart the platemate's installation instructions. The bridge pin holes are slotted, right, to take advantage of the platemate's keyholes?
Old 01-09-2024, 09:01 PM

I could have explained a little better: the slip and pitch drop occur as I tighten the string to bring it up to pitch, after I thought I had it seated and the bridge pin all set. Also, the pin starts to pull out. But maybe you're right about going against the Platemate design.

Last edited by therbulus; 01-09-2024 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Fuller explanation
Old 01-09-2024, 10:20 PM

Default a thought

The string ball end should not be hooked to the bottom of the bridge pin.
Old 01-10-2024, 12:12 PM

If you need a new or repaired bridgeplate, it should have been done when the bridge was replaced. Without photos, it's hard to say what you have got or what would help.

IMO the Platemate should be used only as a temporary fix until the bridgeplate is repaired or replaced.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair