The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #46  
Old 10-02-2023, 10:11 AM
dbintegrity dbintegrity is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LI NY / Coastal NC
Posts: 940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Howdy, All. I have a question I've been meaning to ask...

How much of a factor do you think homecourt advantage is for the hosting team at the Ryder Cup?

sm
I think it is a big factor..... Unfortunately the crowd can be quite unruly, especially after a few cocktails...
Now that sports gambling is legal, the possibility of someone commenting during a back swing, or putting stroke is quite real too... we will see how that factors in.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 10-02-2023, 10:14 AM
dbintegrity dbintegrity is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LI NY / Coastal NC
Posts: 940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkristians View Post
Brave of you to play the Black! I only played the green and the blue and they were brutal....but I'm just a high handicapped hacker. Cantlay hat thing was pure click bait that he called an outright lie, and I believe him. Justin Thomas wasn't wearing a hat on Sunday as well. Much ado about nothing. Can't wait for the new season to start!

Happy off-season, folks!
Larry
Larry,
it is a long course, not to mention a 5-1/2 - 6 hour round.... We played it a few times, just to say we did it... The other courses there are wonderful too.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 10-02-2023, 10:22 AM
Lkristians's Avatar
Lkristians Lkristians is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Mostly Palm Beach, FL; sometimes CT, USA
Posts: 6,045
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbintegrity View Post
Larry,
it is a long course, not to mention a 5-1/2 - 6 hour round.... We played it a few times, just to say we did it... The other courses there are wonderful too.
I know that people practically camp out there just to get a tee time!
__________________
LarryK.
AGF Moderator
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 10-02-2023, 10:23 AM
Lkristians's Avatar
Lkristians Lkristians is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Mostly Palm Beach, FL; sometimes CT, USA
Posts: 6,045
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Howdy, All. I have a question I've been meaning to ask...

How much of a factor do you think homecourt advantage is for the hosting team at the Ryder Cup?

sm
Scott, I think it's huge.
__________________
LarryK.
AGF Moderator
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 10-03-2023, 01:53 PM
jseth jseth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Oregon... "Heart of the Valley"...
Posts: 10,794
Default

All congratulations to the European team... they definitely played their collective butts off! America just didn't have it, especially where it counted... some of our guys played wonderfully - Cantlay was magnificent! So many of our "great" players underperformed drastically... Schefler, Spieth, Morikawa, Clark... a few of our guys played fairly solid, but, Man! We could not pair up in those group events worth a hill of beans!

All in all, it was an enjoyable event; stayed somewhat of a match on that final day. The US Team did not have much of a chance on Sunday, but they gave it a good shot.

I felt we were outplayed and "out captained", but opinions are easy to come by when my tail is not on the line! Hard to figure what Zack's methodology was, most of the time.

Beth Page will be a different story, I'm sure! That is one tough bear of a golf course, without doubt!

The one time I played it was before they got the money to renovate and restore the course for that first U.S. Open... and believe me, it was "all that you can eat" in a golf course! One of the most difficult I've ever played... in many ways, FAR more difficult than it is after all the work was done...

We arrived at the venue at ~3 a.m.; put our golf ball "in the tube" and hung out, tried to get some sleep (which was futile!)... we got a 12:30 tee time. All of the guys in our group were low single-digit handicappers, so we marched straight to the Black tees on The Black! Had a few words with the starter about that! Ha!

All the wispy, knee high stuff you see on TV? When I played it, it was chest-high in many spots!!! Just silly to try to hit a ball out of it... full swing, sand wedge = 15 or 20 yards! Back then, the course was in terrible shape, but you could see what a terrific design it was. I have a good friend in Boston, and he wangled tee times to play The Black a month before that first Open held there... unfortunately, my back was trashed and I couldn't get out there from the West Coast... sigh...
__________________
"He's one of those who knows that life is just a leap of faith.
Spread your arms and hold your breath,
always trust your cape..."

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 10-03-2023, 05:11 PM
tinnitus's Avatar
tinnitus tinnitus is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Forest Groove, OR
Posts: 2,054
Default

Whew, what a relief!

For a moment, I thought someone had posted yet another thread telling me I should buy an absurdly expensive Ryder Cup Pick for my guitar. Yikes!

And now back to the topic - I'll just show myself out.

Last edited by tinnitus; 10-03-2023 at 05:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 10-03-2023, 06:46 PM
6L6 6L6 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 5,482
Default

USA lost the Ryder Cup on the first day of play.

Hats off to the Europeans who played sensational golf!

Have to say that I enjoy watching the DP Tour on TV more than the PGA Tour. The courses are more interesting and you get to see different shot making. Plus, the commentary is MUCH better!
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 10-03-2023, 09:10 PM
Charmed Life Picks's Avatar
Charmed Life Picks Charmed Life Picks is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 9,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkristians View Post
Scott, I think it's huge.
I think so too. I would say homecourt advantage in this kind of event cannot be overestimated. There was a run of about a decade where the Euros really put it to us, but last time it was in the U.S. it was a rout by our team.

Love this event, and it reminded me, Larry, how much I love match play. Completely different vibe than stroke play, and all the more enjoyable because of the difference.

Stay Well,
Scott
__________________
CHARMED LIFE PICKS
[email protected]
Celebrating Seven Years in Business!
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 10-03-2023, 09:14 PM
Charmed Life Picks's Avatar
Charmed Life Picks Charmed Life Picks is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 9,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
USA lost the Ryder Cup on the first day of play.

Hats off to the Europeans who played sensational golf!

Have to say that I enjoy watching the DP Tour on TV more than the PGA Tour. The courses are more interesting and you get to see different shot making. Plus, the commentary is MUCH better!
Oh my, I almost forgot to mention. I thought the graphics and scoring displays were HORRIBLE in the TV coverage. I mean, just lousy. What were these people thinking.

For example, if a match was tied they'd put "AS"? AS? How much more time would it be to spell out the words All Square? I realize this would be a Herculean task, but really? This is the best you can do?

It was one of the worst sports coverages I've ever seen.

sm
__________________
CHARMED LIFE PICKS
[email protected]
Celebrating Seven Years in Business!
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 10-04-2023, 06:23 AM
Gitfiddlemann Gitfiddlemann is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Oh my, I almost forgot to mention. I thought the graphics and scoring displays were HORRIBLE in the TV coverage. I mean, just lousy. What were these people thinking.

For example, if a match was tied they'd put "AS"? AS? How much more time would it be to spell out the words All Square? I realize this would be a Herculean task, but really? This is the best you can do?

It was one of the worst sports coverages I've ever seen.

sm
Hi Scott,
I would have to respectfully disagree. I think you're being overly harsh given the difficulty of covering a golf event, especially these Cup matches.
As opposed to other major sports, which have the action occurring over a relatively small space, and basically just following one ball around, golf at this level is spread out over nearly 200 acres of terrain. In these Cup matches, you have 16 players out there in each of the first two day sessions, 24 players on the last day.
The network can't miss a single shot, because it could be crucial to the overall match and entertainment factor. You need people following and describing the action on the ground as well as in booths to interpret it properly, all of it occurring simultaneously all over the course. With at least three times the amount of live coverage compared to other sports events. The co-ordination behind the scenes to show this all on TV, that is not apparent to viewers if it's well done, must be enormous. I'm probably leaving a lot of stuff out that contributes to a smooth execution from a broadcasting point of view.
Sure, the graphics may not always be optimal, but they rarely leave golf viewing fans at a loss for what's going on.
So overall, I think the broadcasts, primarily from NBC, CBS and the GC, are truly outstanding given the particular demands of the sport.
Obviously, we disagree, but that's my view for what it's worth. (which isn't much, granted. )
__________________
Best regards,
Andre

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 10-04-2023, 07:06 AM
Charmed Life Picks's Avatar
Charmed Life Picks Charmed Life Picks is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 9,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitfiddlemann View Post
Hi Scott,
I would have to respectfully disagree. I think you're being overly harsh given the difficulty of covering a golf event, especially these Cup matches.
As opposed to other major sports, which have the action occurring over a relatively small space, and basically just following one ball around, golf at this level is spread out over nearly 200 acres of terrain. In these Cup matches, you have 16 players out there in each of the first two day sessions, 24 players on the last day.
The network can't miss a single shot, because it could be crucial to the overall match and entertainment factor. You need people following and describing the action on the ground as well as in booths to interpret it properly, all of it occurring simultaneously all over the course. With at least three times the amount of live coverage compared to other sports events. The co-ordination behind the scenes to show this all on TV, that is not apparent to viewers if it's well done, must be enormous. I'm probably leaving a lot of stuff out that contributes to a smooth execution from a broadcasting point of view.
Sure, the graphics may not always be optimal, but they rarely leave golf viewing fans at a loss for what's going on.
So overall, I think the broadcasts, primarily from NBC, CBS and the GC, are truly outstanding given the particular demands of the sport.
Obviously, we disagree, but that's my view for what it's worth. (which isn't much, granted. )
Thanks, I respect your opinion. I don't play golf, but I've always admired the ability of these guys attempting to perfect an imperfectable sport. However, I've watched a great deal of golf for decades.

It might be that a match play event is much more difficult to display onscreen than a regular stroke-play event. I must say, though, that I've never been more confused by the graphics displayed onscreen than this broadcast. I wonder if anyone else agrees. Could be just me.

Thanks Again,
Scott
__________________
CHARMED LIFE PICKS
[email protected]
Celebrating Seven Years in Business!
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 10-04-2023, 08:47 AM
dbintegrity dbintegrity is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LI NY / Coastal NC
Posts: 940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitfiddlemann View Post
Hi Scott,
I would have to respectfully disagree. I think you're being overly harsh given the difficulty of covering a golf event, especially these Cup matches.
As opposed to other major sports, which have the action occurring over a relatively small space, and basically just following one ball around, golf at this level is spread out over nearly 200 acres of terrain. In these Cup matches, you have 16 players out there in each of the first two day sessions, 24 players on the last day.
The network can't miss a single shot, because it could be crucial to the overall match and entertainment factor. You need people following and describing the action on the ground as well as in booths to interpret it properly, all of it occurring simultaneously all over the course. With at least three times the amount of live coverage compared to other sports events. The co-ordination behind the scenes to show this all on TV, that is not apparent to viewers if it's well done, must be enormous. I'm probably leaving a lot of stuff out that contributes to a smooth execution from a broadcasting point of view.
Sure, the graphics may not always be optimal, but they rarely leave golf viewing fans at a loss for what's going on.
So overall, I think the broadcasts, primarily from NBC, CBS and the GC, are truly outstanding given the particular demands of the sport.
Obviously, we disagree, but that's my view for what it's worth. (which isn't much, granted. )
I have to agree with this too. It is like covering 16 events at once... They are all over the course trying to keep you up on each match. I feel they do a great job...
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 10-04-2023, 09:33 AM
Slothead56 Slothead56 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SE PA
Posts: 2,888
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
For example, if a match was tied they'd put "AS"? AS? How much more time would it be to spell out the words All Square? I realize this would be a Herculean task, but really? This is the best you can do?
sm
I just checked my recording. The graphic being displayed was “Tied” which I thought was strange as the proper term would have been All Square (or AS)??

I. Agree with everyone else. I thought the coverage was fantastic.

BTW-who was the old guy that jumped in the pond at 18 after the Cup was decided?
__________________
Please note: higher than average likelihood that any post by me is going to lean heavily on sarcasm. Just so we’re clear...
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 10-04-2023, 11:43 AM
Lkristians's Avatar
Lkristians Lkristians is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Mostly Palm Beach, FL; sometimes CT, USA
Posts: 6,045
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
I just checked my recording. The graphic being displayed was “Tied” which I thought was strange as the proper term would have been All Square (or AS)??

I. Agree with everyone else. I thought the coverage was fantastic.

BTW-who was the old guy that jumped in the pond at 18 after the Cup was decided?
I don't know who the lake jumper is. I do agree with the assessment that the coverage and graphics were very good. The AS could have been the European tv feed's graphics. I don't recall seeing anything but "Tied". Also, I did notice the yardage was shown in meters and yards interchanging.
__________________
LarryK.
AGF Moderator
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 10-04-2023, 12:59 PM
Charmed Life Picks's Avatar
Charmed Life Picks Charmed Life Picks is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 9,018
Default

I have no desire to start a food fight, so we'll just have to disagree. I thought the coverage was great EXCEPT for the confusing display of scores and status of different matches.

sm
__________________
CHARMED LIFE PICKS
[email protected]
Celebrating Seven Years in Business!
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=