The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 10:12 AM

I finally installed the latest OS update and decided to watch the latest HowTo videos. Glad I did. I’d not understood that the initial gain setting needed to tickle the yellow LEDs. Doing so has given my mappings a lot more top end.

Just for fun I recorded four of the positions that were shown on the HowTo video. I like the one where the mic is above the nut on the neck and pointed toward the body the best.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

When you say above the nut do you mean level with the nut? This position seems to remove some lower mid ‘mud’.

Is anyone using a feedback buster in their guitar while using the TD? Does it help (or hinder the tone)?
Old 12-20-2017, 11:25 AM

I mean that the mic is about 12" from the nut, nearly directly above it, inline with the fretboard but not quite parallel, pointed down toward the sound hole.

The sound is slightly more "stringy", but not quite as stringy as when the mic is more perpendicular to the strings.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

I guess it means that there will be less sound from the sound hole and body so it should be less boomy and possibly better for higher volumes.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:40 AM

Yes! And your observation is extremely important. When I play with my whole band in a loud situation, I VERY OFTEN don't really want my guitar to be "accurate". Upper mids is where it's at, and that "juicy" sound of the strings can be just the ticket.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

It seems it's good to have different Maps for different playing environments. Do you also use an external EQ after the Tone Dexter as well?
Old 12-20-2017, 02:17 PM

I don't use any further pedals past the ToneDexter and for the majority of we do now we don't have control over the EQ at the board.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

So you make all your EQ adjustments using only the Tone Dexter? You also don’t add reverb or anything?
Old 12-20-2017, 03:14 PM

Last year on a few gigs I tried using a multi-function box with reverb and compression past the ToneDexter and ended up believing it's simply not worth the effort.

Now, if there is EQ, reverb or anything else then it's the sound tech adding it in and I have no control.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
I finally installed the latest OS update and decided to watch the latest HowTo videos. Glad I did. I’d not understood that the initial gain setting needed to tickle the yellow LEDs. Doing so has given my mappings a lot more top end.

Just for fun I recorded four of the positions that were shown on the HowTo video. I like the one where the mic is above the nut on the neck and pointed toward the body the best.
Thanks for the reminder on the How To vid. I gave it a quick look before acquiring a ToneDexter, but a second viewing has improved my understanding of the over-the-nut training mic position and the editing functions.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Last year on a few gigs I tried using a multi-function box with reverb and compression past the ToneDexter and ended up believing it's simply not worth the effort.

Now, if there is EQ, reverb or anything else then it's the sound tech adding it in and I have no control.
This worrys me . Could you expound on this a bit.
TD has an effects insert. Are you saying it doesn't
Work well with the wave map??Or simply placing effects
after the td in the signal chain did not work?
Old 12-21-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
I was wondering about this as well. However, I took it as more of a knock on setting up effects in general than the Tonedexter not working well with effects in the chain. I think there is something to this though. I have reverb and delay on my board but often find that I hardly ever click them on and the little bit I do use could easily be applied at the mixing board.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
Perhaps I've miscommunicated. The unit works perfectly, including its effects loop. What "isn't worth it to me" are ANY effects.

I'd thought that adding some reverb and some compression before passing the signal off to a complete stranger who may or may not know anything about sound, would be a good thing. It wasn't. At least, not very often. Not in my opinion.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Perhaps I've miscommunicated. The unit works perfectly, including its effects loop. What "isn't worth it to me" are ANY effects.

I'd thought that adding some reverb and some compression before passing the signal off to a complete stranger who may or may not know anything about sound, would be a good thing. It wasn't. At least, not very often. Not in my opinion.
I have a td coming in the mail. I currently use
A bit of compression some reverb and a looper
Through the loop on my current preamp(Felix).
So it seems here that there was no issues with using
effects . Just that you don't prefer to use effects?
Old 12-22-2017, 07:45 AM

There was a time when I'd use a chorus/plate reverb combination to fill out the sound on slower picking tunes. That just doesn't seem as necessary or useful with a Dexterized signal.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification