The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-02-2019, 02:51 PM

Default New Microphone Coming This Week

I have been playing more than ever(almost always solo)these last two or three years and have decided to look for a musical partner. A harmony singer with some decent guitar skills will do. But any mandolin, violin, cello or even concertina ability would be great.

I tend to visualize the type of sound I want to portray in my brain and then look for gear that may very well lend itself to that end result.

I was listening to Pandora when “The Milk Carton Kids” came on and I said that was the sound I heard in my head for a coffee shop(or any small venue)duo.
I hunted the net and found this company out of Oregon. They specialize in large diaphragm mics with high feedback rejection geared to stage use for solo and small ensembles of vocal and acoustic instruments.

My “Delphina” will be arriving some time this coming week. Here’s a link to their site.
http://www.eartrumpetlabs.com/
Old 06-02-2019, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

I saw their mics in use a lot back in April at Old Settlers Music Festival (TX). Floored when I heard The Lone Bellow using just a single ETL mic on stage. Wood & Wire also used one, but it wasn't their only mic. Been GASing for one ever since .
Old 06-02-2019, 03:05 PM

I can’t wait to try it out Keith, and dial it in to the small PA I am using. I think it may work really well with two singing guitarists in small venues.
Old 06-02-2019, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
I have been playing more than ever(almost always solo)these last two or three years and have decided to look for a musical partner. A harmony singer with some decent guitar skills will do. But any mandolin, violin, cello or even concertina ability would be great.

I tend to visualize the type of sound I want to portray in my brain and then look for gear that may very well lend itself to that end result.

I was listening to Pandora when “The Milk Carton Kids” came on and I said that was the sound I heard in my head for a coffee shop(or any small venue)duo.
I hunted the net and found this company out of Oregon. They specialize in large diaphragm mics with high feedback rejection geared to stage use for solo and small ensembles of vocal and acoustic instruments.

My “Delphina” will be arriving some time this coming week. Here’s a link to their site.
http://www.eartrumpetlabs.com/
I have an Edwina Stereo Pair, and had a Myrtle, and your new Delphina will likely be the best attributes of both these models. Enjoy, and let us know how they work out for you!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 06-02-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I have an Edwina Stereo Pair, and had a Myrtle, and your new Delphina will likely be the best attributes of both these models. Enjoy, and let us know how they work out for you!
I was knocking around the idea of a stereo pair, but right now it would be too much for me. They are not inexpensive. Have you had success with feedback control, SpruceTop?
Old 06-02-2019, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
I was knocking around the idea of a stereo pair, but right now it would be too much for me. They are not inexpensive. Have you had success with feedback control, SpruceTop?
I've only used mine at home and they've performed well in the dimensions of my family room (20ft x 35ft), which is to say there's no feedback at moderate volume levels. Every live venue will present different challenges.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 06-02-2019, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Their website has some cautions about working too far from the mics in tight places, because then you'll likely have the gain up to pick up the performers, but that means it's going to start picking up everything else, including reflections off the back wall.

Where I saw them in use was on a fairly large stage, so reflections were not an issue. If I get one (somewhere on the list with a lot of other wishes), it would be for outdoor or tent-stage kind of venues, or maybe at home or other house concert situation, where there's a pretty decent open space.
Old 06-02-2019, 04:06 PM

Yes, I read that too, Keith.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:00 PM

I have an Edwina that I use all the time, though feedback requires much more care than it does with a dynamic mike. On the other hand, it sounds way, way better and looks astonishing. I think these are fabulous mikes.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 06-02-2019, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

I'm gassing for a Myrtle--for a one mic application to pick up guitar and vocals. Honestly it's a lot about the look of the mic, but ETL felt it would be a good choice regardless. Look forward to hearing your review when you get it.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:10 AM

I love my ETL Josephine. My inspiration for buying it was seeing the Milk Carton Kids using an ETL mic. Best live sound I've ever heard.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:41 AM

i’ve used their “Louise” and thought highly of it.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfa View Post
”My inspiration for buying it was seeing the Milk Carton Kids using an ETL mic. Best live sound I've ever heard.”
that’s what I said!😎

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification