The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 08-19-2019, 08:15 AM

Default Guild Stuart x700

I have been playing a blonde Guild X700 Stuart for the past 5 years which has been been great and has a wonderful warm sound but as a fingerstyle player, usually nylon strung, I have found another archtop better suited to my needs and style of playing.

I'm looking to sell the X700 but am struggling to date it. The serial number on the headstock is AK700276 however the listing for these only seems to run up until Ak700213!

Any ideas what year this instrument might be? I'm also at a loss as to how much to sell it for if I do. I know it's only worth what someone is willing to pay but a starting point would be helpful - any thoughts?
Old 08-19-2019, 02:06 PM

There is a 1995 in reportedly excellent condition listed on Gbase for $3,500. Of course, that is a retail price, generally more than a private seller would get. https://www.gbase.com/gear/guild-gui...0-natural-1995

The listing says production ended in 1997. Based on the serial number of yours, I'm guessing the model was re-introduced at some point. Have you contacted Guild for dating info?
Old 08-19-2019, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

OP,

Hans Moust is very likely the world authority on Guilds. I’m linking his website below.

I had a very similar question on exactly the same guitar a few years ago. I contacted Hans and had an extremely nice email exchange of photos and information. He is compiling Guild data, and I am certain he would enjoy hearing from you.

I eventually traded my exc + X700 Stuart for a mint Gibson LP R6, straight up. Both parties were happy. It has been 2-3 years. At that time we landed on approximately $2750 as a value for both, that being the midpoint of the 2500-3000$ range.

They are great guitars, and undervalued relative to comparable Gibsons. If you want to consign, I’d think about Archtops.com. They have mixed reviews, but they will get it done fairly quickly imo.

You could also check out Letstalkguild.com, if they’re still out there. Lots of closeted Guild archie fans.

Good luck. Here’s Hans Moust website:

http://www.guitarchives.nl/guitarsgalore/
Old 08-20-2019, 02:38 AM

Default It's a date!

Thanks for the responses guys

Hans Moust has dated the guitar as 1998, a very quick response from him - really helpful.

I'll now look at taking a few pics and selling it through some of the locations suggested.

Thanks for your input

Marcus

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops