The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #46  
Old 03-18-2023, 10:43 AM
nostatic's Avatar
nostatic nostatic is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: central coast
Posts: 562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
I'm not talking about what the audience experiences. I'm talking about what I experience. My '69 Princeton Reverb and my '72 Deluxe Reverb sound infinitely better than any amp sim and IR I have experienced.

Here we are on a forum where players argue about the thickness of a finish and its effect on tone, types of fret boards, sitka versus adi, and then happily process it through a gobbledygook of digital effects, cab sims and preamps.
As opposed to the purity of the Fender tone stack, dried out caps, crappy Chinese tubes, and a Jensen of questionable integrity?

I kid, I kid - I get it, some folks love tube amps until their last breath and they do have their charms. btdt.

Which modeling solutions have you tried, and through what cabs?
__________________
Beard Radio R Squareneck Hipshot | Eastman AR380CE - AR580CE - AR603CED - E10OM-TC | Comins GCS-1 Bigsby
Fodera and Nordstrand fretted, Rob Allen and Nordstrand fretless basses
new album | live album | nostatic site

ďSometimes science is more art than scienceÖĒ - Rick Sanchez

Last edited by nostatic; 03-18-2023 at 11:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 03-18-2023, 11:27 AM
Rudy4 Rudy4 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 7,120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddleglum View Post
I stay on the Brown setting on the Katana with a bit of reverb and delay - that's about it. I wouldn't need or want anything elaborate; I find that all that stuff distracts and detracts from actually playing music. I just want a good sound to jam on riffs with. I have some pretty good headphones too.
I'm in total agreement with that. I'd also add chorus to the list of wants, but that's me.

How about something as simple as the Zoom AC-3?
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 03-18-2023, 11:41 AM
Puddleglum Puddleglum is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I'm in total agreement with that. I'd also add chorus to the list of wants, but that's me.

How about something as simple as the Zoom AC-3?
Seems nice but it looks to be made for acoustic guitar. Also a bit expensive for my needs.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 03-18-2023, 04:42 PM
fpuhan fpuhan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Northern Virginia, USA
Posts: 748
Default

I'm surprised that no one in this thread has mentioned the Fender Mustang Micro. Or have I mis-read the original intent? Perhaps I'm focused in that direction because I've considered buying one for myself. But since I live alone, it doesn't really fit a need.

Still, the Mustang Micro gets rave reviews. Plug it in to your guitar, plug in a pair of earphones (1/8" or 3.5mm) and off you go. Here is a list of features straight from Fender:
  • All-in-one personal headphone amplifier with onboard DSP
  • 12 amp models for a wide range of clean and dirty tones
  • 12 effect combinations with parameter modify control
  • Adjustable EQ
  • Convenient volume control
  • Bluetooth audio streaming with audio/video sync for playing along in real time
  • Rechargeable lithium ion battery (charged via USB)
  • 4 hours of continuous play time
  • Rotating input plug for compatibility with most guitars and basses
  • USB interface for recording output and firmware updates
__________________
I own 40 guitars. Most are made of wood. Some are not.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 03-18-2023, 05:25 PM
Rudy4 Rudy4 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 7,120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddleglum View Post
Seems nice but it looks to be made for acoustic guitar. Also a bit expensive for my needs.
I thought you were asking about acoustic guitar use. Most folks here at "Acoustic Guitar Forum" are relating to that, unless a topic specifically targets electric guitar specific information.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 03-18-2023, 08:45 PM
Puddleglum Puddleglum is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I thought you were asking about acoustic guitar use. Most folks here at "Acoustic Guitar Forum" are relating to that, unless a topic specifically targets electric guitar specific information.
This is the electric guitar section of the forum.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 03-19-2023, 09:54 AM
Rudy4 Rudy4 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 7,120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddleglum View Post
This is the electric guitar section of the forum.
Ah, yes! I forget where I'm at at any given moment...
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 03-19-2023, 10:52 AM
CASD57 CASD57 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Meridian, Idaho
Posts: 2,972
Default

I think a lot of us play both..maybe even gig both like I'm going to do,
In fact acoustic's, I just really started playing 5-6 years ago, In the past, I mainly gigged Electric in a band setting..
The funny thing is that playing acoustic gives me all the dynamics...string-sound feel(harmonics).. that a good tube amp gives you and has almost stopped my search for the perfect tube amp.
Oh, I get the bug once in a while but after two recent fails I'm going to go IR's for my Electric and maybe my acoustic...We will see.
Got a pre-order in for the IK Tonex.......
__________________
Gear:
Taylor AD17e BlackTop
Epiphone 339Pro Limited P90
Custom Fender Affinty Strat P90's
EAE M2-6 Acoustic Amp

Last edited by CASD57; 03-20-2023 at 05:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 03-21-2023, 05:35 PM
redir redir is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mountains of Virginia
Posts: 7,138
Default

I'm not sure I buy the, the audience doesn't care, argument. I mean I agree the audience doesn't care, but I do. And If I am playing through a rig that I think sounds great then it makes me play better and the audience gets that part of it for sure. But if a modeler makes you happy then that's great. If you like your tone then the audience will even if they are not aware of it.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 03-21-2023, 05:57 PM
6L6 6L6 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 5,158
Default

I played in an Oldies R&R band for 27 years and went through just about every classic Fender tube amp other than those covered in tweed.

They've all been sold and replaced with this:



My ZT Lunchbox Reverb amp weighs under 10lbs, has bulletproof construction, and incredible TONE! With 100 watts RMS power, it's all you need for most playing situations.

If you haven't tried one of these, you are missing out!

Last edited by 6L6; 03-21-2023 at 10:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old Yesterday, 06:41 AM
T.Lime T.Lime is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I'm not sure I buy the, the audience doesn't care, argument. I mean I agree the audience doesn't care, but I do. And If I am playing through a rig that I think sounds great then it makes me play better and the audience gets that part of it for sure. But if a modeler makes you happy then that's great. If you like your tone then the audience will even if they are not aware of it.
Fully agree with this.... The current tech has improved so much that listening back to our sound there is no discernable difference live. Recording is another matter entirely,, but I suspect within a year even that will change, if it has not already. Having a fairly quiet stage means we are better able to communicate with each other.....and that delivers a better performance.
__________________
Jet JS-300 Sea Foam Modified Iron Gear Pig Iron and Texas Loco Pups and SD Vintage pup
2012 Gibson J-45 Custom Shop Pure voice

www.tupelolime.com
https://tupelolime.bandcamp.com/
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old Yesterday, 07:49 AM
redir redir is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mountains of Virginia
Posts: 7,138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
I played in an Oldies R&R band for 27 years and went through just about every classic Fender tube amp other than those covered in tweed.

They've all been sold and replaced with this:



My ZT Lunchbox Reverb amp weighs under 10lbs, has bulletproof construction, and incredible TONE! With 100 watts RMS power, it's all you need for most playing situations.

If you haven't tried one of these, you are missing out!
Wow neat little amp there.

You gonna have to change your username now though?
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old Yesterday, 08:03 AM
ghostnote ghostnote is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,259
Default

I donít question any of the technology, the tech is great. Iíve been on board with modelers since the original POD, and they just get better all the time. I use amp sims for recording all the time at home. But I do question the human factor. Are you running your own PA? If yes, and you can carry a PA, you can carry an amp. If youíre using the house PA, well, the house PA is always the problem, because youíre trusting the sound guy to make you sound good. Doesnít matter what youíre putting into it if thereís crap coming out of it. The venue is also a big factor: if youíre playing a place thatís polite, like a wine bar, the patrons are going to hear some of your nuances and you need to sound good. If youíre playing in a noisy sports bar, most of that room is going to sound like just what it is: a noisy bar with some music in the background. All your careful tweaking and pristine IRs wonít mean much in that scenario. Thereís no doubt that carrying your whole rig in one trip is a beautiful thing, but itís not the answer to everything. If I donít have control of the PA, Iíd much rather have my own amp, so I can control that, at least.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old Yesterday, 08:47 AM
T.Lime T.Lime is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostnote View Post
I donít question any of the technology, the tech is great. Iíve been on board with modelers since the original POD, and they just get better all the time. I use amp sims for recording all the time at home. But I do question the human factor. Are you running your own PA? If yes, and you can carry a PA, you can carry an amp. If youíre using the house PA, well, the house PA is always the problem, because youíre trusting the sound guy to make you sound good. Doesnít matter what youíre putting into it if thereís crap coming out of it. The venue is also a big factor: if youíre playing a place thatís polite, like a wine bar, the patrons are going to hear some of your nuances and you need to sound good. If youíre playing in a noisy sports bar, most of that room is going to sound like just what it is: a noisy bar with some music in the background. All your careful tweaking and pristine IRs wonít mean much in that scenario. Thereís no doubt that carrying your whole rig in one trip is a beautiful thing, but itís not the answer to everything. If I donít have control of the PA, Iíd much rather have my own amp, so I can control that, at least.
Yup.... (but you are using the house PA for vocals anyway?)...... for small quieter bars and wine bars etc some folks might prefer an amp..... luckily we are playing larger venues that have decent sound systems, but are also much noisier overall I also think if I was solo I would use a small micd amp... but in a 5 sometimes 6 piece rock band modellers work just fine... horses for courses
__________________
Jet JS-300 Sea Foam Modified Iron Gear Pig Iron and Texas Loco Pups and SD Vintage pup
2012 Gibson J-45 Custom Shop Pure voice

www.tupelolime.com
https://tupelolime.bandcamp.com/
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old Today, 08:35 AM
davidd davidd is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,283
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
I played in an Oldies R&R band for 27 years and went through just about every classic Fender tube amp other than those covered in tweed.

They've all been sold and replaced with this:



My ZT Lunchbox Reverb amp weighs under 10lbs, has bulletproof construction, and incredible TONE! With 100 watts RMS power, it's all you need for most playing situations.

If you haven't tried one of these, you are missing out!
Sorry but I'm not buying this. I had one of those ZT Lunchbox amps and they are a no replacement for any nice tube amp. I gave mine away it was so lame. By the way my 12 watt Princeton Reverb was many times louder than a 100 watt SS amp w/ a 6.5" speaker and it sounded plain awful. 100 watts...? that's a joke IMO.
__________________
2013 Martin D18, 1990 Martin D16-M
2017 Gibson J45, 2016 Gibson J45
2005 Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 Yamaha LP500
2011 Fender Telecaster
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
2012 Pono 0000-30DC
2014 Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG830
Yamaha FG800
Yamaha FSX700SC
etc.....
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=