The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-18-2021, 06:12 AM

Default My Last Guitar - A Martin?

Best Martin for all styles of music?

I am a lifer musician - still making a living at it at 59 years old. I have about 25 guitars and with few exceptions, these have all been cheap or midrange guitars. I love my '78 Gibson Gospel. It sounds wonderful in the recording studio, but the neck is a little small for my big hands to play live. I also don't like to gig with it because it's a little more delicate than other guitars I own. I am a singer songwriter, but I play a lot of cover gigs - strumming, finger style (a little) and soloing. I need a well-balanced instrument. I want to be the one who decides which notes of a chord or a run are stressed - I don't want to leave it up to the bracing pattern...

To solve the "big hands" problem, I searched for a guitar with a wider nut and came across the Seagull Mariner. This guitar is OK, but balanced/braced for strumming. The high notes disappear and solo runs go unheard. This pisses me off and led me to look for a new gigging guitar that will really pop out on the top strings. I recently bought a Yairi dy 38 that I love. I just had a K&K pickup put into it. Going to pick it up today and A/B with the Seagull (I believe that the Yairi will blow it's doors off), but we will see.

While I was buying the Yairi, I asked the seller (more of a collector than a player) WHY he was selling. He told me that he is going to collect only Martin Guitars. I asked if he had one I could try and he let me play it. Not sure what it was, but it was better than the Yairi. I left there happy about my purchase, but lusting for a Martin. After playing for 46 years, I finally found a guitar that I would be willing to part with a lot of money for. I'm tired of the "Sounds just like a ____" and the "Poor man's _____". I want the real deal.

I played a few martins at Gruhnn's guitars in Nashville, but I didn't find "the one that I couldn't leave the store without." I think the problem is that the guitars were all new and mostly unplayed. It takes awhile for the tops to "open."

What are the best reasonably priced Martins out there? I'm not opposed to buying a used one with battle scars if it's been previously owned by someone like me who plays for a living and has put hundreds or thousands of hours on it...

D-18? D-24? An older sustainable woods Martin?

Something about the sound of a good Martin is compelling. Not necessarily better than my Gibson, but different and in a very good way.

What to buy? Where to look? I live in Kalamazoo (probably why I have stuck with the Gibson so long - hometown pride), but there are surprisingly few guitars in the shops around here.... Thinking of just ordering from Sweetwater or American Musical and sending it back if it sucks...
Old 10-18-2021, 06:22 AM

Define 'reasonably priced'. Are you necessarily looking for a dread? Do you have preference for short scale over long scale?

Welcome to the buyer's assistance program. Let's get this thing going!
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 10-18-2021, 06:34 AM

Buying a new Martin without playing it first can be pretty disappointing. Many of the new ones can sound pretty bland at first. One that has been played hard for a few years is more apt to impress you. I have a 15 year old D16RGT that will blow the doors off new Martins costing thousands of dollars. You just have to play a bunch until you find “the one”.
Old 10-18-2021, 06:51 AM

For well-balanced and a neck built for big hands in the Martin line my recommendation is to look for a used D-18GE.

If the Martin doesn't do it for you, then I'd recommend a look at a used Collings. Generally, a little more evenly balanced than Martin with a neck profile that should be suitable for larger hands. Caveat: A Collings will be pricier than a Martin.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 10-18-2021, 07:16 AM

I second finding a used D-18GE. I would own one but that neck is just outside my reach. Amazing guitar though. BTW, there is no D-24, D-28 yes. The flagship guitar.
1968 Ovation 1111-4 RIP 1968-2021
Old 10-18-2021, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

If you're not opposed to a 00 or 000 size, I'd check out two different models:

1. The CEO-7. 00 size body. New retail is about $2700, but you can find them used for $2000 or so. Adirondack (not Sitka) spruce top, with mahogany back and sides. 1.75" nut and 2-5/16" string spacing at the bridge makes for a very comfortable finger style guitar. I think it has a very balanced tone with a beautiful low end. It has the Mod V neck, which some people love, some hate and some are just ok with. Shorter scale length at 24.9".

2. The 000-15SM. All mahogany. 1.75" nut width and 2.25" string spacing at the bridge. Has that warm all-hog sound. Regular scale length at 25.4". A new one is $1,600, but they show up used from time to time for $1,300 - $1,400.

IMO, both of these work well for bigger hands and both of them sound great. I have the CEO-7 and I'm in love with it. I've played the 000-15sm and really liked it a lot and would love to own one.

As suggested by someone above, try to find one you can try before you buy. I bought my CEO-7 off Reverb and feel like I got lucky that it was in perfect condition and sounds fantastic.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:56 AM

I would humbly suggest a 000-18. It's simple, not too big, not too small, not flashy at all, but don't be deceived. Just about everything about it seems like the epitome of "acoustic guitar." Get the right one and the feel and sound can be extraordinarily satisfying.

But I do urge you to play before you buy. Makes an enormous difference.

Several years back, a friend at work (now deceased) went through a year+ process of making the same decision you're making now. In his case, he already had an old beloved Guild dread acoustic and some carbon fiber guitar (brand eludes me) for travel. But he wanted a guitar that would work well for church/worship duty (unamplified or external-mike only) yet give him the tone, note clarity and projection he wanted for playing by himself (in private) or with one or two friends. Heaven knows he tried everything he could get his hands on...Gibsons big and small, Martin dreads, Larrivees, Collings, Taylors, and on and on. When some salesman finally put the right 000 in his hands, that was it. I can confirm that there was simple magic in it.

That said, I also like GoPappy's suggestion of a CEO-7...or (my suggestion) possibly a 00-18. Though again, it's the individual guitar you're buying, NOT the brand, size or wood combo alone...but hey, you already know that. I'll just say that I've heard and felt great things in both models (perhaps more consistently in CEO-7s than in 00-18s). You'll know it yourself when you hear it.

Good luck in your quest.

Dirk
Old 10-18-2021, 10:29 AM

Default D-18

Sounds like a D-18 would be a good last guitar for you.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:44 AM

The Martin custom D classic is my suggestion. You can get them from Musicians Friend. They are great guitars. You can get them from guitar center too. They run around 1380. Sometimes they will give you a 10 per cent discount if you ask.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:13 AM

First things first.
You mentioned that live in Kalamazoo which is 75 miles from Lansing, where Elderly Instruments is located. My son and I have both driven to Elderly from NW PA and I will do it again in 2022. If you cant find a guitar you like at Elderly, you may want to take up another activity. I always feel like a kid in a candy store when I go there or visit their website.

Second, enjoy the hunt. I have a D35 but if I played in a band, I would probably opt for a D28 or D18 or some variation of those two models. Don’t forget to consider a D16, D15 or another model like an older D21 or D21 Special if you can find one.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:36 AM

If you are looking for a Martin with a wider nut spacing I would suggest a used Martin D28 Marquis. You are going to have to dip into the wallet in todays market but they sure sound good.

Nut width is 1 3/4 vs 1 11/16
Old 10-18-2021, 12:24 PM

I’ve bought four new Martins sight unseen from Sweetwater and liked every one. But the only ones I think you’ll like from your preferred neck description are the 000-28ec, the CEO-7 and CEO-9. These have the modified V neck which is more substantial than their modified low ovals they’re using on most of their guitars. Don’t be put off by their body sizes. The two that I have have a big sound, even the 00.
Yamaha Pacifica 212VFM Flamed Maple
Old 10-18-2021, 07:18 PM

Go to Elderly Instruments in Lansing. Great shop
Old 10-18-2021, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmadonia View Post
Best Martin for all styles of music?

I am a lifer musician - still making a living at it at 59 years old. I have about 25 guitars and with few exceptions, these have all been cheap or midrange guitars. I love my '78 Gibson Gospel. It sounds wonderful in the recording studio, but the neck is a little small for my big hands to play live. I also don't like to gig with it because it's a little more delicate than other guitars I own. I am a singer songwriter, but I play a lot of cover gigs - strumming, finger style (a little) and soloing. I need a well-balanced instrument. I want to be the one who decides which notes of a chord or a run are stressed - I don't want to leave it up to the bracing pattern...

To solve the "big hands" problem, I searched for a guitar with a wider nut and came across the Seagull Mariner. This guitar is OK, but balanced/braced for strumming. The high notes disappear and solo runs go unheard. This pisses me off and led me to look for a new gigging guitar that will really pop out on the top strings. I recently bought a Yairi dy 38 that I love. I just had a K&K pickup put into it. Going to pick it up today and A/B with the Seagull (I believe that the Yairi will blow it's doors off), but we will see.

While I was buying the Yairi, I asked the seller (more of a collector than a player) WHY he was selling. He told me that he is going to collect only Martin Guitars. I asked if he had one I could try and he let me play it. Not sure what it was, but it was better than the Yairi. I left there happy about my purchase, but lusting for a Martin. After playing for 46 years, I finally found a guitar that I would be willing to part with a lot of money for. I'm tired of the "Sounds just like a ____" and the "Poor man's _____". I want the real deal.

I played a few martins at Gruhnn's guitars in Nashville, but I didn't find "the one that I couldn't leave the store without." I think the problem is that the guitars were all new and mostly unplayed. It takes awhile for the tops to "open."

What are the best reasonably priced Martins out there? I'm not opposed to buying a used one with battle scars if it's been previously owned by someone like me who plays for a living and has put hundreds or thousands of hours on it...

D-18? D-24? An older sustainable woods Martin?

Something about the sound of a good Martin is compelling. Not necessarily better than my Gibson, but different and in a very good way.

What to buy? Where to look? I live in Kalamazoo (probably why I have stuck with the Gibson so long - hometown pride), but there are surprisingly few guitars in the shops around here.... Thinking of just ordering from Sweetwater or American Musical and sending it back if it sucks...
Curious what kind of woods that Seagull Maritime has? I've owned rather a lot of Godin guitars, I think most of mine had spruce tops and just the laminate cherry backs, and I've never had trouble with solo's and runs disappearing. The highs are prominent, and while the bass notes arent strong like a Martin, its crisp and punchy and shows up plenty well.

I also have a Gibson G-45, its got more of a full, complex tone with alot more sustain than the Godin's. Mine sounds great strummed or fingerpicked, and any noodling I do on the high strings cuts through nicely. That said the the bass isnt as crisp and unless you've got pretty fresh strings on it, getting flatpicking runs in the lower register to "pop" takes more effort.

A guitar I dont own but have always been fond of is the 15 series Martins, both the dreads and the OM sizes. A warmer more bass heavy tone, but more dry and midrangy (do I dare say Gibson-esque) than the 18/28 series, which I rarely seem to like. I dont like the necks as much though.
Old 10-19-2021, 04:30 AM

Take a couple of road trips. Both Elderly and Sweetwater are just about an hour drive from you. Both are impressive places to visit and enjoyable places to spend an afternoon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
cannon, fingerpicking, martin, strum