The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-11-2021, 04:29 AM

As a prolific hayfever sufferer through the summer months, I’d not be able to rock a headset mic without subjecting my audience to all manner of amplified sniffles and sneezes 🤣

In all honesty though, I love the form factor and convenience. I’m all about travelling light. My favourite bit of kit is my AER Compact 60, and with my current setup I can get into and out of a gig in one trip either way. If a headset mic could enable me to ditch the mic stand, all the better. It’s a bit of an outlay but something I would consider.

Having said that, I like the barrier that a mic stand provides between the performer and audience. At smaller or more rowdy pub/bar gigs, I set up my stand and pedalboard to provide a sort of fence between the audience and myself and to act as demarcation of the stage area.

On the other hand, a headset mic would stop drunken sorts grabbing the vocal mic in breaks etc. Pros and cons.
‘97 Martin D18GE (Sunrise)
‘01 Takamine EAN46C (Palathetic and CT4B)
'02 Takamine EAN20C (Palathetic and CT4BII)
'15 Gibson SJ200 Standard (Sunrise)
‘19 Vintage Paul Brett Viator VC Classical
‘20 Sigma CF-100 copy (Sunrise)

Capos by G7th, amplification by AER.
Old 07-11-2021, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisls View Post
Maybe I'm just weird... but I've been using a headset mic quite successfully for a few years when I go busking, saves dragging a mic stand around.

It's an AKG c555l w' a little 9v beltpack for power. Can be used w' phantom but I've never bothered to get the bit to do so.

I run it left side, it can be shifted. Does not interfere with anything. If I wish to chat or cough or swear or..whatever.. hey I cover the mic with my left hand.

Personally I like it and it makes things on the street easier. Each to their own.

Kris
So is this wireless? I'm trying to avoid any battery packs or AC plugs if possible and with wireless you have the belt clip transmitter which is battery powered, then the receiver which is AC powered. I don't move around so the wired WH20XLR works fine for me with a XLR output.
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Timberline T60HGpc
Kolaloha KTM-000 with MiSi
SunnAudio MS-2
Digital Piano Yamaha P515
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 07-11-2021, 06:16 PM

Sorry I wasn't clear. No this is not wireless though it could be made to be if you buy the gizzos to go that way. Too much hassle for busking methinks.

The little belt pack is 9v and the mini xlr from the mic plugs in, then out via a regular xlr to the mixer amp whatever.

I run a JBL Eon One Compact and an old Boss 6 pedal board powered by the little green Volto. I can go for a few hours no problem.

Kris
Old 07-27-2021, 06:16 AM

i just bought sm35 and i find it is working fine, i love it!
Old 07-27-2021, 04:47 PM

There are pros and cons. I use one regularly but you really need to practice with it to get the same dynamics you can get from a mic on a stand. Once you get to that point, I even forget it is there. You also have to remember it is always on. So coughing or talking to a bandmate needs to be discreet.
The best inexpensive headset I have used is the Shure SM35. To my ears it sounds close to a Shure SM58, my usual vocal mic.
I picked up a Countryman (the rigid one ) that was on sale and I really like that mic. It was relatively inexpensive compared to other Countryman models. I use it with a Shure wireless system that sells for a little over 2 bills.
I tend to use the wireless headset more on solo gigs. I like the fact that no mic stand is in front of me. It seems more intimate with the audience.
When playing with my trio I usually just use an SM58, not sure why but it is just a no brainer.
Hope that helps.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification