The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-18-2020, 03:33 PM

Default Elixir Strings Are Too Bright, What's Warmer Sounding?

Hi Everyone. I have been using Elixir Nanoweb Phospher Bronze (Light) Strings on all my acoustics for 15 years. But recently, I've felt that they sound too bright - I guess my tastes and preferences are changing.

What do you recommend as being great acoustic guitar strings that last a long time (I hate changing strings!) and sound a bit warmer than Elixirs? Is there a different type of Elixir I should try (such as 80/20 Bronze?) or should I try a completely different brand?

I like that Elixirs last a long time and sound great even after being on a guitar for months.

To be more specific I have a Taylor 814ce, a Taylor 110, a Martin X1-DE, a Gibson G45 and a Washburn parlor guitar (Rosewood).

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
Gibson G-45 Studio
Martin X1-DE
Washburn WP21SNS
Taylor 110
Mitchell D120
Old 08-18-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeisen93 View Post
Hi Everyone. I have been using Elixir Nanoweb Phospher Bronze (Light) Strings on all my acoustics for 15 years. But recently, I've felt that they sound too bright - I guess my tastes and preferences are changing.

What do you recommend as being great acoustic guitar strings that last a long time (I hate changing strings!) and sound a bit warmer than Elixirs? Is there a different type of Elixir I should try (such as 80/20 Bronze?) or should I try a completely different brand?

I like that Elixirs last a long time and sound great even after being on a guitar for months.

To be more specific I have a Taylor 814ce, a Taylor 110, a Martin X1-DE, a Gibson G45 and a Washburn parlor guitar (Rosewood).

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
I’d try Monel (Martin Retros, Curt Mangan).

People either love them or hate them, they are warmer than Elixir and last a long time. They need to settle in though, sound their worst when first put on.
Old 08-18-2020, 04:15 PM

If you want to stay with Elixer's, try the polyweb's. They are darker than the nanowebs.
Old 08-18-2020, 04:19 PM

Monel, like Martin Retros, are a good way to tame brightness. However, you also lose some of that traditional sizzle that phosphor bronze gives you if you like that sound when strumming. In that case i would try D'addario XTAPB1253. Much warmer than the famous D'addario EJ16, and it indicates as much on D'addario's website.

https://www.daddario.com/products/gu...-light-12-532/
Old 08-18-2020, 04:24 PM

Are Monels and Martin Retros coated strings?

That's news to me, but I guess that's why I'm on this forum.

To Learn.

MGF
Old 08-18-2020, 04:51 PM

May I extrapolate that perhaps you have been using Elixirs for perhaps the same reason I have been using them, which is specifically that my hands sweat and go through uncoated strings too quickly for my liking?

I got along fine for many years with Elixir Nanowebs on my Lakewood M32 and until recently my Taylor 914ce v-class. I just thought that brightness was how it was supposed to sound.

Well as some here know, this Summer of the Pandemic I decided to enter the "World of the Small Builder". My audition trips which resulted in purchasing both my H&D and SCGC were a revelation. These guitars sounded so different to my Lakewood and Taylor (which sounded close to each other), so I decided to keep one (Lakewood) and trade in the other.

Both came strung with D'addario, the H&D with EXP17s and the SCGC with I'm going to guess EJ16s. The EXPs are still going strong, but the EJ16s rusted out within a couple of weeks, even with wiping down after each play. So I slapped some EXP16s and there was a slight tonal change but I was still very happy with the sound, and got about a 2 months out of those. Good, but still a but short of Elixirs which I normally get 3-4 months out of.

So I slapped them on this last string change...and I hate the sound of my SCGC with Nanowebs. Enough so that I'm considering pulling off what are essentially new strings to put some EXPs back on it.

So I guess my advice to you is: if you want to still get fairly decent life, try out the EXP line from D'addario.

If you want ultimate tone, my SCGC sounded awesome with EJ16s. Admittedly they're new guitars and the sample size is limited. I did try Martin SP+ on them (the new 540A I think?) and I only got like 2 weeks out of them and the sound was good, but not great.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 08-18-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinGibsonFan View Post
Are Monels and Martin Retros coated strings?

That's news to me, but I guess that's why I'm on this forum.

To Learn.

MGF
Uncoated, Nickel Copper alloy
Old 08-18-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale C View Post
Uncoated, Nickel Copper alloy
That's why I was confused with a recent response, recommending Monels and Martin Retros.

I guess.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

MGF
Old 08-18-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinGibsonFan View Post
That's why I was confused with a recent response, recommending Monels and Martin Retros.

I guess.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

MGF
Although they are uncoated the materials are completely different and last as long as Elixir. I have them on a Taylor GS Mini, about 5 months now. The sound is an acquired taste, very fundamental with little to no chime or over tones.

Two coated strings I have found to be warmer then Elixrs are D’Addario EXP or the new XT as well as Ernie Ball Phospor Bronze Everlast.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:13 PM

Well this maybe counter-intuitive, but I find the brighter 80/20 strings make everything tamer on a rosewood guitar. They balance the tone and add some more bass.

It's almost like negative multiplication, they cancel each other out.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
Although they are uncoated the materials are completely different and last as long as Elixir. I have them on a Taylor GS Mini, about 5 months now. The sound is an acquired taste, very fundamental with little to no chime or over tones.

Two coated strings I have found to be warmer then Elixrs are D’Addario EXP or the new XT as well as Ernie Ball Phospor Bronze Everlast.
That might be an entirely separate thread

Do Monels and Martin Retros last as long as coated strings?

And if so, why?

What sort of manufacturing process that causes this?

I've heard lots of negative responses for Monels (dull sounding)

If I want dull sounding strings, I leave my D'Addario strings on for 8 months.

In actuality, my D'Addario strings are on my guitar now for over 6 months, no intonation problems whatsoever.

That's my barometer, when intonation goes.

Not sure what other's thresholds are for changing strings.

MGF
Old 08-18-2020, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

Santa Cruz strings. Warm and long lasting, at least my experience.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:34 PM

I prefer clear tones over elixirs.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakewoodM32Fan View Post

So I guess my advice to you is: if you want to still get fairly decent life, try out the EXP line from D'addario.
EXPs are great. I've got them on three of my guitars, and have Retros on the other two. But I understand that D'Addario is replacing them with a new XT line.

I haven't tried them yet.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:36 PM

John Pearse Pure Nickels are excellent and if you want to go even warmer then GHS and John Pearse both make a Silk & Bronze string that play and sound like PB strings ... but warmer.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
guitar, strings