The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-18-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frances50 View Post
My guitar was restored by Gryphon Strings (Palo Alto, CA) in 2012. It was sold and ended up at the Music Emporium on consignment this past spring. I had posted my interest in purchasing a civil war era guitar on the UMGF and the fellow who had purchased the guitar from Gryphon contacted me via e-mail. I negotiated with him directly and through the Music Emporium and eventually got a good deal.

I did e-mail Richard Johnston at Gryphon after I got the guitar and he forwarded me the description of the guitar and what was done to it at their shop. I won't bore you with all the details but Johnston told me the guitar was not playable when they got it into their shop, the neck had been damaged from a capo and it needed a lot of work. It had a complete neck reset, with original bar stock frets by Michi Matsuda. It has its original tuners and buttons, original bridge with original bridge pins, original finish with touch-up done to the back of the neck (from the capo damage). Frank Ford added some French polish but the contours of the neck were not altered. Two hairline cracks were repaired and cleated (I can't even tell where they were). The ivory endpin was replaced with an ebony one. They dated the guitar to the 1870's but because Martin didn't start using serial numbers until 1898, they had to use their experience with dating old Martins. The tuner plates are "teddy bear" design associated with Martins made around the time the stamp on the center back strip was changed from "C.F. Martin" to "C.F. Martin & Co." in October 1867. There is no penciling on the underside of the top, it has a Cuban mahogany bridge, and the first back brace is close to the neck block. So, Johnston believes this guitar is dated between 1867 and early 1870's. This actual guitar is depicted (with photoshopping of some dings) on page 234 and 235 of "Inventing the American Guitar" which Johnston contributed to. This guitar was just at his shop at the right time when he was looking for a suitable guitar for the book.

Sorry I can't be of more help but you may want to check out the UMGF vintage forum. I know David LaPlante, a vintage Martin expert, frequents that forum and while your guitar may not be a Martin, it's still a very old guitar. There are plenty of experts out there who would love to help you.
You have been very helpful, thank you! I have never thought of this guitar as an old Martin. Too many differences, including the shape, which looked more European, at first glance. The measurements and shape line up closely with an old Schatz I found online, but then there were other things that were not quite right, and thus I doubt its one of those... At this point, though it would be fun to know, I'm not too hung up on pin-pointing the manufacturer. The guitar came with some history of ownership (and the 19th century home I found it in) which is good enough to keep my mind wandering for a while :-)

Ok, I'm interested to learn more about your guitar! Thanks for sharing - I'm off to do some reading...

Sean

Last edited by sunbgroove; 07-18-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameleye View Post
Save the tuners!
That's a deal! :-)
Old 07-19-2016, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbgroove View Post
You have been very helpful, thank you! I have never thought of this guitar as an old Martin. Too many differences, including the shape, which looked more European, at first glance. The measurements and shape line up closely with an old Schatz I found online, but then there were other things that were not quite right, and thus I doubt its one of those... At this point, though it would be fun to know, I'm not too hung up on pin-pointing the manufacturer. The guitar came with some history of ownership (and the 19th century home I found it in) which is good enough to keep my mind wandering for a while :-)

Ok, I'm interested to learn more about your guitar! Thanks for sharing - I'm off to do some reading...

Sean
It's wonderful that you have some history on your old guitar. I wish that was the case with mine. Gryphon didn't have any info on the ownership history. When I was searching for my very, very old Martin, I tried to locate one that had a bit of history but to no avail. At least I know exactly what I have though, it had been restored by a professional and the guitar is in great condition to be so old.

You will enjoy your journey. Be sure to take lots of pictures.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:02 PM

Default Progress!

Thought I'd check in to update on the progress of the parlor guitar.

The bracing top and bottom showed several cracks so we carefully removed them to make the repairs.

Things are moving along nicely. The goal is to preserve the play wear and as much of the original finish as possible and to bring the guitar back to playing condition. The top was cracked in several places so additional bracing on each side of the sound hole was used to sure up this area.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:23 PM

The guitar is nearly complete. It did receive a re-fret. It has been done at least once before. It plays beautifully! So happy with the way it has turned out. Thanks to all for your comments and advice.

Old 12-18-2016, 12:20 AM

Quote:
The guitar is nearly complete. It did receive a re-fret. It has been done at least once before. It plays beautifully! So happy with the way it has turned out. Thanks to all for your comments and advice.

Wow cool. What's it strung with? How did you treat the bridge fixes?

Post a sound clip?
Old 12-18-2016, 09:34 AM

Sunbgroove,
I can restore a GM muscle car, but there is no way I could do what you have done to that guitar.
You definitely have some talent and are surely gifted with you hands.

Thanks for updating this thread. One of the few that I've subscribed to.

Regards
Old 12-18-2016, 09:43 AM

Great restoration!!! Well worth your efforts.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:45 AM

Thanks guys!

I can't take all the credit here. My friend is a retired Porsche race engine builder and Luthier. Much of the delicate work, including the refret and neck reset was the result of his expertise! I strive to be a useful assistant :-) As a side note, the two other guitars in the picture are builds from his shop. We just finished my build, serial #10 (on the left).

Last edited by sunbgroove; 12-18-2016 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt60 View Post

Post a sound clip?

Hey there, the bridge itself was in good condition. We had to make a new bridge plate and drilled out (half way) the string holes on the top. Spruce plugs were made to fill the holes and then re-drilled once the bridge was glued back in place.

The original nut was removed and saved along with the old frets. The neck did look odd with shiny new brass frets, but they tarnished back to "normal" in a week! A neat thing we discovered about the nut is that it was not quite "square". It was designed with a slight wedge shape that matched the wedge slot on the neck. It pressed in, or out, from the side and creates an incredibly tight fit, without the need for glue.

I am still experimenting with strings as I have found that it makes a huge difference in tone. Right now I have it strung with a mixture of low to medium tension strings from LaBella, and Savarez. I'm not done fiddling with that yet!

I have played it at 440 tuning and 1/2 step down but have settled on a full step down... It sounds haunted at that tuning!

Old 12-18-2016, 02:31 PM

Default Sound clip

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt60 View Post

Post a sound clip?
Here goes! See attached sound clip recorded this afternoon.

Last edited by sunbgroove; 12-18-2016 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Here goes! See attached sound clip recorded this afternoon.

Well done. Now I want to take out my old Martin.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:12 PM

I would LOVE to hear it! Any chance you have sound clips of your Martin?
Old 12-18-2016, 07:17 PM

Nothing to add other than I very much enjoyed this thread and that little parlor looks great!
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 12-18-2016, 07:30 PM

Awesome awesome awesome restoration!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
antique, ashborn, civil war, martin, parlor guitar