The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-16-2014, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikravchik View Post
Wow, beautiful, congrats!
Ouch what a beauty. James really does pick nice Koa for his Royal's. I sold mine this year to fund gear purchases and miss it. I have only owner 2 and played 4 so far and each one was perfect to my touch and ear. The cost of admission is well worth the joy of ownership and in my experience the value holds up well in resale.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

I've owned a bunch of beautiful Goodall guitars and I've played a bunch more. They have all been amazing. This one is my WCJW and its the prettiest one I've had. Engelmann and Walnut made in FT Bragg. It sounds amazing for sure its in the top 5 guitars I've owned or played!!

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 11-16-2014, 09:42 AM

RH-12
by sage972003, on Flickr

RH-2
by sage972003, on Flickr
Old 11-16-2014, 10:32 AM

Old 11-16-2014, 11:04 AM

Hey there your private message box is full. I have a Goodall on consignment with a shop. If you are interested and want to make an offer, let me know and if we come to agreement, I will let the shop know and it would be processed through them.

http://www.picknparlor.com/acoustic-...1-goodall-kcjc

Goodalls are fantastic and I think you are wise to look used as the new ones are $$$ and you can find great deals on used. You may also want to look at the Aloha series (used especially) as the ones i have played have been every bit as good as their standard models.
Good luck and enjoy the search!
Old 11-16-2014, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

As wcap said earlier, when I lived in Fort Bragg (James and I moved there on nearly the same day!), I made it a point to search out the new shop...

Turned out it took James and Luke nearly 8 months to get the shop ready to build their luscious instruments, and in that time we became friends...

James brought 50 or so guitars with him from the Hawaiian shop when he moved back to the California coast, and I played a whole bunch of those; EVERY ONE was just stellar! Each different, certainly, but overall wonderfully consistent and a joy to play... I even brought my trusty old Mark Angus F-40 with me, so I would have a reference point with James' guitars - I have played that Angus since it was built for me in 1979, and I know and love the sound of it very, very well...

In the following 3 years, I played most of the guitars that first came out of the Fort Bragg shop... and honestly? I only played one of those guitars that didn't absolutely "blow my skirt up"! I have to temper that statement with my since-acquired knowledge of how radically a guitar's tone and volume changes in the first few weeks, after it comes off the bench... it's really unfair to attempt any sort of judgment with a guitar that's not at least a month "old"...

Because my Angus is pretty much the size/shape of James' Concert Jumbos, I decided to have him make me a Grand Concert, so as not to "double-up" on a similar guitar... he made me a delightful redwood topped mahogany guitar that I am still loving, and it still surprises me each time I pick it up. For some reason, I can't seem to get past my fascination for how that guitar sounds... it's actually distracting, in a sense (but in a very good way!).

I have said before that I feel that the Concert Jumbo is the most versatile guitar that James makes... no matter the woods used. They are big enough to develop really nice bass, small enough to feel very comfortable on your lap while playing... and I have NEVER played one that didn't "do it" for me!

Here are a few pictures of my little darlin'!!!

...to be continued...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 11-16-2014, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

...and some more photos of my Goodall Grand Concert...

I LOVE how Luke Goodall searched and found a neck that had a bit of "wavy" grain at the body end that sort of matches the figured mahogany that was used for the back and sides...

The "pink heart" abalone used for the rosette was James and Luke's birthday present for me, as this guitar was a gift to myself for my 60th birthday...

There you have it! When I had James make me this guitar, I was very specific about what I wanted, tone-wise. He had the opportunity to hear me play for 10 hours or so, over our time together, and had a very good idea of how I played, how I attacked the instrument, and the tones I coaxed from them... even without that "personalized" approach, every Goodall you play will delight and amaze you! If it doesn't? Then something is terribly wrong, either with the guitar structurally, dead strings or your own ability to hear/feel/play... I will say that my Goodall wants, no, DEMANDS that I play with my best technique and skillset; that guitar rewards me when I play well, and if I get sloppy? Well, it lets me know!

I would absolutely buy a Goodall acoustic, sight unseen or played. I don't know that there is another builder to whom I would extend such faith in their instruments... I imagine that martz911 will chime in soon enough... he has more Goodalls than I can even imagine owning! He has a Concert Jumbo that is the "big sister" to my GC, at
least in the figured mahogany on the back and sides! If martz911 is ever selling one of his Goodalls, I would suggest that you JUMP ON IT! You won't find anyone who cares for their guitars better than Larry...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

Last edited by jseth; 11-16-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
You might consider this Goodall that recently appeared in the AGF classifieds: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=364822 .

I have no association with the seller. But the grand concert size is one of my favorites. And the price seems pretty darn good.
Yeah, that one one looks pretty tasty, thanks!
Old 11-16-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
I would absolutely buy a Goodall acoustic, sight unseen or played. I don't know that there is another builder to whom I would extend such faith in their instruments...
Indeed, my only concern if buying a used Goodall would be with whether or not I trust the seller. If you are buying from a reputable dealer (e.g., I bought my Goodall 12 string off the web from Dave's Guitar Shop, which has a great reputation, and I talked to them about the guitar and its condition on the phone first) or from someone you otherwise have good reason to trust, then I really doubt you will be disappointed with a used Goodall, even if you have not had a chance to play it first (this is assuming, of course, that you have liked the Goodalls you have played). And if you buy from a reputable shop (vs. a private individual) you might also have the opportunity to return it if you don't like it (this was the case with Dave's Guitar Shop).

Last edited by wcap; 11-16-2014 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikravchik View Post
Yeah, I stop by the Podium/Guitar Rodeo a lot. I've had several discussions with Jim about his Goodalls. They are all great, but I would not consider buying a new Goodall, so I am looking at the used market.

I really wanted the AGF members to share their experience with these amazing guitars. Do any in particular stand out?
Boutique Guitar Sales, BGS, seems to have used Goodalls at very competitive pricing quite often.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 11-16-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
You might consider this Goodall that recently appeared in the AGF classifieds: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=364822 .

I have no association with the seller. But the grand concert size is one of my favorites. And the price seems pretty darn good.
I'd second this. As I posted in that thread a moment ago, I bought a Goodall from Larry a few weeks ago and would do so again in a heartbeat. And the price is indeed "pretty darn good."
Old 11-16-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstarr View Post
I'd second this. As I posted in that thread a moment ago, I bought a Goodall from Larry a few weeks ago and would do so again in a heartbeat. And the price is indeed "pretty darn good."
I'll third that. Larry has a ton of Goodalls that he keeps in pristine condition. I bought one from him a few years and it's phenomenal. The transaction was perfect and price was very reasonable.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 11-16-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger View Post

That's a spectacular guitar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post

RH-12
by sage972003, on Flickr

RH-2
by sage972003, on Flickr
This one too!

I've never played a koa Goodall (or any all koa guitar, for that matter), so I wonder how these sound. They certainly are pretty to look at!
Old 11-16-2014, 09:49 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions
Old 11-16-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrasserk View Post
Hey there your private message box is full. I have a Goodall on consignment with a shop. If you are interested and want to make an offer, let me know and if we come to agreement, I will let the shop know and it would be processed through them.

http://www.picknparlor.com/acoustic-...1-goodall-kcjc

Goodalls are fantastic and I think you are wise to look used as the new ones are $$$ and you can find great deals on used. You may also want to look at the Aloha series (used especially) as the ones i have played have been every bit as good as their standard models.
Good luck and enjoy the search!
Thanks, I just cleared my inbox. That's a nice looking Goodall. I will have to do more research though before I commit to buying one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
goodall