The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Which tonewood do you prefer for back & sides on a Martin?
East Indian Rosewood 8 61.54%
Madagascar Rosewood 5 38.46%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-11-2012, 11:11 AM

Default Your opinion on the Martin OM-42?

Played two of these recently and they surely got me hooked. The sound had a certain "sparkle" to it which I couldn't find in guitars like e.g. an OM-28V which, on paper, shares almost all the specs of the OM-42, but still sounds "woodier" or "drier".
Now I'm contemplating getting one of these built with the changes being swapping the East Indian Rosewood back and sides for Madagascar Rosewood.
Has anybody experienced what I'm talking about? And can anyone tell me what difference is to be expected by using Madagascar rosewood instead of East Indian Rosewood?
Old 09-11-2012, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

The Madgascar would sound a little bit brighter than EIR and have more overtones and more of a reverb quality to the tone. I haven't experienced this in a OM form but I have in Dreadnought form. I love the 42 style inlay package if you order it you are in for one beautiful guitar!!

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 09-11-2012, 01:17 PM

I've owned 3 Martin Madagascars, America's Guitar (Adi/Madi dread), 000-42MEC (Carpathain/Madi 42 series Clapton), and a custom shop OM-28 (Alpine/Madi), all in my opinion were wonderful.

I would think the Clapton pretty close to the OP's thoughts but short scale, otherwise pretty close, I do prefer OM's to 000's. To my ears Madagascar has two things slightly different than EIR, as Bobby mentioned a little more going on (harmonics/overtones) and absolutely IMO a cleaner low end, at least with the guitars I've owned.

A custom shop OM-42 with Madagascar is going to be 10K or more, adn while I've owned a few Martins in that range and above, you might want to try and play one of the GC custom shop OM-28's. I got the first one of the run (20 total) when the custom shop road tour was in Dallas, bought it on the spot, and my buddy has sold 3 more since then, they literally do not last more than a day when he gets one. Only the largest platinum/flagship GCs get them, and they are outstanding and under $5K MSRP.

40 series Martins to me have a bit more presence/chime than the 28's, which are slightly drier/woodier. A custom shop OM-42 Madi would be an amazing guitar, but I would at least consider the GC custom at half the price, unless you want the 42 appointments and the slightly brighter sound, which is certainly personal choice.

I own one of the last OM-45 runs, a 2005 OM-45 Tasmanian Blackwood, very rare and expensive, more lush than most Martins, my all time favorite, but more than a few of my playing buddies prefer the custom shop OM-28 Madi, and it's 10K less!!!

PM me if interested, not saying anything against an OM-42 Madi, just saying how great the GC custom shop run is.........they are spec'd as bursts!!

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
custom, madagascar rosewood, martin, om-42