The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-11-2023, 08:45 AM

Default Pickup for one time event on classic guitar

The guitar is a cheap student model, Yamaha G-55A, and I want a pickup for a one time event. I bought it used 8-10 years ago for $30 so my grandkids could mess with it without getting stabbed by the steel string ends. Now a good friend of mine is getting married and asked me to play a special song during the ceremony and some cocktail hour type background music. I play a lot of electric and steel string acoustic but haven't played classical in decades so at this time I'm just looking for something to amplify the Yamaha.

I want to brush up on my classical and play half the cocktail hour with it. I'm toying with the idea of just using a mic but if there is a low cost pickup that would be fine with this guitar I would like to go with that. Any suggestions? I'm not opposed to using an acoustic IR with a Piezo. It would probably sound better than this guitar's natural sound.
Old 09-11-2023, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

From my experience I would say that classical guitars tend to be very feedback prone when using any sort of stick-on piezo. You may be best simply using a mic'. You can always add a little reverb to the mic' and fatten the tone with the e/q.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 09-11-2023, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

The KNA pickups aren't too expensive and at least the steel string version sounded pretty good.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-guitar-pickup

Worth more than the guitar though, but that's another calculus.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 09-11-2023, 11:31 AM

"One time event" = mic to me. Lots of options there. At a typical wedding service:

1. you don't have to fill a large hall with sound

2. you don't have or need high stage volume

3. you're not trying to be heard over conversation, dishes clattering, other musicians, etc.

All this means that you can easily be heard without approaching feedback levels.

Will you be running your own sound? If there will be a sound person talk to them ahead of time to get everything dialed in. They may be able to set everything up so you don't have to buy anything.
Old 09-11-2023, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

Sounds like a job for a microphone to me too.

An inexpensive pickup will never sound as good as an inexpensive mic IMHO.

-Mike
Old 09-11-2023, 05:56 PM

KNA NG-1, slides under the strings at the bridge. (Used to be called Kremona.) About $70, but you can take it with you after. I leave this on my classical, but I’ve only tried it once and have no comparison. https://www.knapickups.com/en/guitar...guitar-pickups

Last edited by macuaig; 09-11-2023 at 06:01 PM.
Old 09-12-2023, 12:00 PM

I agree with the people that suggest just using an instrument mic for your one time show.
If you start to do more shows, be prepared to get a new guitar with built in pickup and some type of sound system.
That can of worms can get expensive though! LOL

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification