The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-18-2020, 10:36 AM

If you don't mind used - has to be used because they're no longer made - one to check out is the DOD Milk Box. It's one of those that only gathered mild acclaim when it was current, probably because it wasn't expensive, but in retrospect, people started to realize that it was actually really good. You should be able to get one these days close to your $50 target.
FYI - I bought one new years ago, and If I need compression on something, I still use it.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:44 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Egads. Your boards are so neat! Mine looks like an ape dipped the backs in peanut butter and threw them at a board. I need to get a hosting site so I can show you my shame!
Yeah, I do keep ‘em fairly neat, but I have to admit to “tidying” things up a little for those shots...
Old 05-19-2020, 12:40 PM

I've gone back and forth between the cheap non-brand name pedals, the name brands, oldies but goodies, and a few of the more modern options.

I have ignored those priced above $100, because that is well above what I want to spend. I've also decided I would favor a mini form factor, rather than full, because of pedal board space I am constrained with.

MXR DynaComp and Boss CS-3 are the standards in my cost range. They are on the high side when new ($90 - $100) and as low as $50 (rare) - $75 used. These are good choices, but full-sized (there is a DynaComp mini however.. again on the high side of my cost range).

The low priced no-named brands generally have a lot of praise on Amazon and most come in mini form factor. I'm talking about Joyo, Mooer, and Koko.. and a few others with even less name brand recognition. I feel like these are a little risky, with some quality issues.. and a few emphatic negative reviews. I know nothing will be perfect and that even brand name products have their detractors.

So.. now I'm kind of honing in on quality name brands, fairly low price (preferrably not much more than $50).. and that led me to click-down on the TC Electronics Forcefield. It's $50 new and TC Electronics usually has solid pedals, even if this isn't their high end tone-print enabled compressor (which is the HyperGravity).

It's almost perfect I think for me, but I'd prefer a mini form factor.

One last quick search.. and low and behold.. there is a TC Electronics HyperGravity mini, that costs $78 new. Hmm.. might be worth the additional cost. Seems to be out of stock at the big box places too.. need to do some more searching.

Any final tips?

Thank you all!

Last edited by fishwatcher; 05-19-2020 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-19-2020, 02:19 PM

I have a Behringer CS400 that I'm quite happy with.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ustainer-pedal

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 05-19-2020, 09:19 PM

HyperGravity Minis are our of stock at the usual suspect major retailers.

I found an Xotic SP pedal used on eBay and put my order in for roughly the same price as a new HyperGravity Mini.

It’s a bit more than I wanted to spend.. but the form factor and reviews are great.

Can’t wait to get it next!

Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-20-2020, 04:46 AM

this one gets stellar reviews. I am probably purchasing this as soon as the restrictions lift any the band starts jaming again. It will replace a TC Electronics Heavy Gravity which quite frankly I've been disappointed with.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...mpressor-pedal
Old 05-20-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
this one gets stellar reviews. I am probably purchasing this as soon as the restrictions lift any the band starts jaming again. It will replace a TC Electronics Heavy Gravity which quite frankly I've been disappointed with.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...mpressor-pedal
Boss rocks. Always. Even the almost universally maligned Metal Zone is just misunderstood and misused.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwatcher View Post
HyperGravity Minis are our of stock at the usual suspect major retailers.

I found an Xotic SP pedal used on eBay and put my order in for roughly the same price as a new HyperGravity Mini.

It’s a bit more than I wanted to spend.. but the form factor and reviews are great.

Can’t wait to get it next!

Thanks for the advice.
I've played both of their booster pedals. At least I think they only have two. Great stuff. I can't imagine they wouldn't kill it with a two knob compressor.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars