The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-21-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I've seen a couple of local-level Beatles tribute groups using these as their "George" guitar - and in that light, you might like one of these to keep it company:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...itar-combo-amp

Just a single Top-Boost channel with reverb, 1x12" Celestion, almost 20 pounds lighter than the classic 2x12" version with all the sonic impact you'd expect; I've tried one with a 5622, and it has "that" sound in spades - everything you need and nothing you don't, and at $100 less than the standard version well worth consideration...
On that note what do you guys think of the Vox Mini Super Beetle? I love mine!
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...YaAqSDEALw_wcB

Mine looks like this:

https://www.altomusic.com/vox-msb25b...AaAnHjEALw_wcB

If I didn't already own one buying at this price seems like a no brainer to me. Won't part with mine and it wouldn't hurt to have a back up!
Old 05-21-2020, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

I have this exact guitar and I've been using it as a platform for upgrades. The P90s are actually pretty good! I own several Gretsch Electromatics and I think in terms of overall fit and finish, it's on par. Like I said, I did upgrade some hardware, but nothing major. I added a squishy spring, new tuners (locking Gotoh), a roller bridge, and a Biggsfix tension bar. I also changed out the plastic knobs for gold Gretsch metal knobs. It's a great playing and sounding guitar now, but it wasn't bad at all as it was when new.
20200325_005120.jpg
Old 05-21-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
When you're ready to complete the package, this guy will make you a White Falcon-style pickguard and trussrod cover to order:

https://quickguards.com/collections/all/gretsch

White strap is a nice touch - only thing that really looks right on these guitars...

I've seen a couple of local-level Beatles tribute groups using these as their "George" guitar - and in that light, you might like one of these to keep it company:

Just a single Top-Boost channel with reverb, 1x12" Celestion, almost 20 pounds lighter than the classic 2x12" version with all the sonic impact you'd expect; I've tried one with a 5622, and it has "that" sound in spades - everything you need and nothing you don't, and at $100 less than the standard version well worth consideration...
yes good call!

My son has one of the standard models. Although I've wanted to, I've yet to try that one out with this.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:

That's the DRRI killer right there... No offense to Fender. Great price too. I remember back in the day running across my first AC-30 in the wild. The weight was stunning.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I have this exact guitar and I've been using it as a platform for upgrades. The P90s are actually pretty good! I own several Gretsch Electromatics and I think in terms of overall fit and finish, it's on par. Like I said, I did upgrade some hardware, but nothing major. I added a squishy spring, new tuners (locking Gotoh), a roller bridge, and a Biggsfix tension bar. I also changed out the plastic knobs for gold Gretsch metal knobs. It's a great playing and sounding guitar now, but it wasn't bad at all as it was when new.
Attachment 38111
Love the 5420 and I like that Candy Apple red. Thinking about finding one in that color or Orange.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GangstaPat View Post
Love the 5420 and I like that Candy Apple red. Thinking about finding one in that color or Orange.
With a few minor upgrades, it's a surprisingly good guitar! And the red looks quite nice. The orange and the lighter green color (Alpine?) Also look really nice!
Old 05-23-2020, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
...The orange and the lighter green color (Alpine?)...
That '65 Chevy Impala metallic finish on the semi is known as Georgia Green, and it was exclusive to the 5600-Series E-Matics at the time of their introduction; Aspen (not Alpine) Green - in fact a silvery finish with few if any verdant overtones - was (and still is) applied to 5400-Series hollowbodies. Although there have been others over the years the best-known Gretsch greens are Cadillac Green (usually associated with the Country Club and Viking, as well as some rare single-cut Duo-Jets and a couple FSR E-Matics) and the milky, two-tone Smoke Green (another of those automotive finishes - this one from a '50 Studebaker) that debuted on the '58 Anniversary models, both of which are still available on their current MIJ Professional Series namesakes...
Old 05-23-2020, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That '65 Chevy Impala metallic finish on the semi is known as Georgia Green, and it was exclusive to the 5600-Series E-Matics at the time of their introduction; Aspen (not Alpine) Green - in fact a silvery finish with few if any verdant overtones - was (and still is) applied to 5400-Series hollowbodies. Although there have been others over the years the best-known Gretsch greens are Cadillac Green (usually associated with the Country Club and Viking, as well as some rare single-cut Duo-Jets and a couple FSR E-Matics) and the milky, two-tone Smoke Green (another of those automotive finishes - this one from a '50 Studebaker) that debuted on the '58 Anniversary models, both of which are still available on their current MIJ Professional Series namesakes...
Yep, Aspen Green was the one I was thinking about. I really like that color!
Old 05-26-2020, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
lately this becomes a deal breaker for me

Country of Origin: China
Yeah I hear you on that!

Good Guys:
Howlin Bob,skiproberts,Dustinfurlow, jherr, sevenpalms, Methos1979, Flat Top, bgpicker, Luria, TobyWalker, JerryM,jonfields45,eljay,buddyhu,funky2x
Old 05-26-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaan View Post
Yeah I hear you on that!
Jaan,

With so many other things we buy as consumers, we rarely have a choice since just about EVERYTHING is made there. But with guitars, we do

Personal choice for sure, but for me? I'm done with that stuff.

OTOH, the MIK Gretsch Guitars, are excellent and not THAT much more $

Last edited by Acousticado; 05-26-2020 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Removed inappropriate comment. Really?!
Old 05-26-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
...the MIK Gretsch Guitars are excellent and not THAT much more $...
An understatement if there ever was one IME: I've played several hundred Brooklyn originals over the last six decades, own a MIJ Professional Series 6136DC White Falcon (as well as a '64 6117 Double Annie), and the Korean E-Matics equal (and in many cases exceed) the quality of the vintage stuff even when brand-new - fully-gigworthy, professional instruments at Working Joe/Jane prices (under - sometimes well under - $1K), and the cats'-eye 3-PU 5622 I picked up in 2016 has become my all-around working axe. Here's a pic:

Old 06-13-2020, 02:59 PM

I like the gunmetal version with tortoise PG. What a price but I wouldnt buy one unless it was used cause you know why.
Old 06-13-2020, 06:46 PM

Default MIK Gretsch G5622T Electromatic Double Cutaway

For those who missed out last time, another batch of NOS Korean 5622's has surfaced - and I wouldn't wait too long:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Gretsch...00000034958.gc
Old 06-13-2020, 08:22 PM

I've got a Korean G5120 and love it!

Old 06-13-2020, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachrunner View Post
I've got a Korean G5120 and love it!

That's one of the early MIK 5000-Series E-Matics, with the first-generation Broad'tron pickups as OEM (why Gretsch chose to revive them on their current MIC 5600's - albeit in quasi-Filter'tron livery - is beyond me); shame it's not the orange one - those Guitar Fetish Surf 90's give it a nice '57-58 transition-era 6120 vibe with the Neo-Classic fingerboard, and I'm sure the retrofit did wonders for your tone...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars