The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 09-10-2015, 10:19 AM

Default '88 or '89 Lowden S10P (Osize) SOLD

SOLD This guitar is an Irish built Lowden from one of the best era's for Lowden guitars and by far one of the best sounding acoustic guitars I've played in over 50 years of playing guitar.

The good: I've owned 4 Lowdens and have played hundreds at every price level and from each of the different eras. This guitar is easily among the top 5 sounding Lowdens that I have played. It has everything that you desire and hope for in a Lowden. It really is like an orchestra in your lap. Plus, it has the mojo that happens with a guitar that has been played a lot and has come alive. This guitar sings like the angels.

The neutral: This guitar comes from the era where the first letter indicated the wood choice for b/s so it is mahogany b/s with a cedar top in an O size and shape. The 10 designation at that time indicated simple purflings, a two piece neck, and a rosewood fingerboard. The P indicates that it originally had a pickup. There were no UST pups available then for split saddles so the folk at Lowden did a saddle that is about 2X the width of the other saddles, allowing a radical compensation equal to that found on the split saddles. Underneath, there is an ebony shim with a channel routed for the UST element which essentially embeds the element in wood, making for a better sounding pickup (IMHO). I have a fishman that was installed when I purchased the guitar that I can reinstall if desired. The Dimarzio Angel pickup in the photos is not included. It comes in the original green Hiscox case... in poor condition. The guitar has no cracks and in spite of the size, is as light as a feather. Did I mention this guitar sounds amazing?

The bad: The guitar was played hard and as one might expect, the cedar top is scarred. There are no cracks but it does look the worse for wear. It has a tortoise pickguard that I expect was installed to cover scratches. The P part included a shoulder mounted pre-amp with two small holes through the side for a tone and volume control. Think of tiny toneports. There is some wear on the fingerboard and a few small areas that were filled in with what looks like epoxy. And the worst bit is that the bridge must have raised at some point and rather than doing the correct repair, someone put two bolts into the bridge. They did a good job and while not invisible, the repair doesn't scream out, "look at me!" The bolts would make it impossible to mount an SBT like the K&K in the correct place. Finally, the case is in pretty bad shape. I don't know whether a new case is available as the geometry of the back is a little different than the current O guitars and it doesn't fit in their cases. I use a Mono M80 which is technically too small for it but works OK. I would include it for a separate low cost for the bag if desired.

The why: I have my other Lowden which I play pretty much exclusively plus I find myself playing bass more than guitar these days and could use some funds for a new bass cab.

Trades? I would consider a trade for a high end, light weight bass cab plus cash.

message me for more photos...
that's me on guitar

Last edited by royd; 10-09-2015 at 07:56 AM. Reason: sold
Old 09-12-2015, 04:03 PM

I've had a couple of questions regarding the size of this guitar. A Lowden O (letter for Original) is not the same as a Martin 0 (number). The Lowden O is a very large guitar - 16.5 lower bout and about 5 inches deep while a Martin style 0 is a very small guitar. Confusing...

It gets more confusing in that this guitar has a letter S as the model name which in newer Lowdens = small. The Lowden nomenclature changed in about 1990 from the first letter indicating s/b woods to the first letter indicating size. In the 80's, S=sweetenia (mahogany) and the small size had not yet been designed. So, this guitar is labeled S for sweetenia and is the large Original size/shape Lowden. It is most similar to the current O22.

that said...

bump to the top for an amazing guitar... drop it to DADGAD and you'll understand what inspired Pierre Bensusan.
that's me on guitar
Old 09-14-2015, 12:50 PM

bump a great guitar to the top
that's me on guitar
Old 09-16-2015, 11:03 AM

you'll never find a Lowden (or any other guitar IMHO) that sounds this good for anywhere near this price...
that's me on guitar
Old 09-17-2015, 02:53 PM

seems like there are a bunch of Lowdens for sale right now... so I dropped the price to $1600 plus shipping. I won't drop lower as the guitar is just too good... below that price, I'll keep it
that's me on guitar
Old 09-19-2015, 05:48 PM

bump to the top for an amazing guitar at a very reasonable price
that's me on guitar
Old 09-22-2015, 10:22 AM

bump de bump...
that's me on guitar
Old 09-23-2015, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

The early Irish lowdens are some of the best sounding and playing guitars I have come across. If I didn't have too many guitars I would consider this one myself.
Good luck with the sale
Old 09-23-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locust19 View Post
The early Irish lowdens are some of the best sounding and playing guitars I have come across. If I didn't have too many guitars I would consider this one myself.
Good luck with the sale
Thanks. These Bangor era Lowdens really are special. Light as feathers and just alive.
that's me on guitar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Tags
irish, lowden, lowden o