The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-23-2020, 09:33 AM

Default Emerald X30 owners please chime in... yet another string thread :)

Good morning Emerald brethren,

I am anxiously awaiting my X30 haha, but I have been doing tons of string research. I have pretty much always used 80/20 EB Earthwoods or 80/20 Martin Marquis in the past with some dabbling in nickel bronze and monel the last couple years. I am looking at trying a variety on the new X30 to see what fits best. They are shipping it with D'Addario EXP11, in the .012-.53 gauge. I don't like coated strings, but I honestly haven't tried them in many years so maybe there is a brand out there I would like now. (I am assuming they have done plenty of R&D and 12's sound the best for the X30?)

Just curious to see what you X30 owners have tried as far as type and gauge? And how were the results? I am used to 12's on 24 to 24.75 scales, so I might consider 11's on my x30 to stay closer to that tension, but only if it doesn't kill all the dynamics and volume. My J-185 needs 12's, 11's make it a pretty quiet guitar for a jumbo size.

Thanks
Old 01-23-2020, 01:20 PM

Default X30 Setup

Hi! If you reach out to us we can help accommodate your preferences in our setup! We have done a lot of trials and found that the standard setup with the d'addario's work best for an all round articulate and full-bodied tone, however we are always keen to advise, accommodate and assist.

We have also advised in the past if someone is particularly keen on a specific brand of string, have them sent to us and we can setup accordingly.

Thanks!
Simon
Old 01-23-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon@Emerald View Post
Hi! If you reach out to us we can help accommodate your preferences in our setup! We have done a lot of trials and found that the standard setup with the d'addario's work best for an all round articulate and full-bodied tone, however we are always keen to advise, accommodate and assist.

We have also advised in the past if someone is particularly keen on a specific brand of string, have them sent to us and we can setup accordingly.

Thanks!
Simon
No worries, Simon. The strings you are shipping it with (D'Addario EXP 11) will be fine. I am eager to hear the guitar and then the experimentation will begin! My main question is about string gauge with the X30. I am curious to see how it responds to some strings of various gauges. I have a jumbo now that loses A LOT of volume if I put 11's on it. Curious what current X30 owners have experienced. You guys are awesome, keep up the great work and beautiful instruments!
Old 01-23-2020, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Simon: Welcome to Acoustic Guitar Forum. There's a lot of love for Emeralds in the Carbon Fiber subforum, and your (and Alistair's) participation is a terrific addition...
Old 01-23-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Simon: Welcome to Acoustic Guitar Forum. There's a lot of love for Emeralds in the Carbon Fiber subforum, and your (and Alistair's) participation is a terrific addition...

Thanks! We have always been keeping tabs on the forum, and having seen the positive response recently i thought id just let you guys know I'm here!

Simon

Last edited by Simon@Emerald; 01-23-2020 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Emoji fixed!
Old 01-23-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by String_Theory View Post
Good morning Emerald brethren,

Just curious to see what you X30 owners have tried as far as type and gauge? And how were the results?
Thanks
For the last year or so I have really been on a string frenzy, not only for the X30 but for all my other guitars as well. It'll be hard for me to remember every single string type and brand that I tested as I tested lots and I will say straight away EB aluminum bronze were horrible on the X30. They killed the volume on that guitar. Other than those I found the X30 to take different string types and gauges very well. I've tried light, medium and bluegrass gauge and they all worked well. Ultimately, I'm going back to Elixir Phosphor bronze lights on all my guitars, including the X30. For me they last the longest, which is the most important factor, but they also sound great and don't leave any residue on my fingers after fingerpicking. I haven't tried the EB Earthwoods like you mentioned but if longevity is important, Elixirs are going to be hard to beat in that category.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber