The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-17-2020, 05:58 PM

Smile Not all cheap microphones are bad

Hi guys .
I'm the type of guy that loves experimenting with different mics. I have some of the best live microphones . The Shure beta 87a the Shure Beta 58a. Seinhessier etc.
On youtube I saw a review on an Amazon basic dynamic microphone. Basically a £20 dollar mic.
There are 2 Amazon basic dynamic microphones.
One is hypacardiod mic which is around £70 dollars and the other is a cardiod dynamic mic which is £20 dollars.
I actually brought it online for a laugh

It came a couple of days ago .
I have been using it the last couple of days .I must saying was pleasantly surprised how good it actually sounded. It has a nice rounded sound with a nice open top end and a airy crisp sound.
I thought my goodness I wasn't expecting that.
Just to let you know I do not work for Anazon.
This is a genuine find and I'm well pleased.
I'll put a link of me doing a cover song in Covent Garden with me using the mic.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:00 PM

Here is the link:

https://youtu.be/Oks_dAvZQ40

My equipment is an AER compact version 2 plus I'm using a TC Hellicon Mic Mechanic vocal pedal going into my AER.
The guitar is a Martin DX1 RAE with a Fishman Matrix infinity installed

Dave
Old 01-17-2020, 06:38 PM

There is an SM57 clone that seems popular in the US which, if memory serves, was about £35. I saw one for sale in the UK from someone who obviously was thinking along the same lines as me (and maybe you) and I bought one out of curiosity.

It sounded pretty good and I thought I could use it on leccy guitar cab. It couldn't take high SPL like the original so no snare drums and too susceptible to pop for vocals.

It lived in the substitutes bag for about 6 months until I found a use for it and when I finally plugged it in for it's debut - it didn't work.

I have had the same (3) '57s for about 20yrs, no issues.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:13 PM

Good point Shufflebeat
The thing is how long will this mic last. Lol.
I have the Shure Beta 57a which really suits my daughters voice.

Even if it doesn't last long . I've only spent just under £20.
Amazon do make electrical stuff. I have the Amazon Kindle Fire which is well built.

I never knew they made PA equipment . They certainly did a great job with this one so far. Its interesting as the guy who did the review actually rates the cheap £20 Amazon basics cardiod better then the 70 bucks supercardiod version.lol
Old 01-17-2020, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Blues View Post
Good point Shufflebeat

The thing is how long will this mic last. Lol.

I have the Shure Beta 57a which really suits my daughters voice.

Even if it doesn't last long . I've only spent just under £20.

Amazon do make electrical stuff. I have the Amazon Kindle Fire which is well built.

I never knew they made PA equipment . They certainly did a great job with this one so far. Its interesting as the guy who did the review actually rates the cheap £20 Amazon basics cardiod better then the 70 bucks supercardiod version.lol
I'm sure they don't build anything just sale rebrand stuff
Old 01-17-2020, 11:00 PM

The Behringer XM8500, around US$23, is a pretty decent substitute for an SM58. I have a couple I bought used for $10 ea. that I keep as backups.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 01-17-2020, 11:52 PM

The Mic-mechanic and this mic make an excellent job removing the boxiness of the AER compact. I am impressed. I always felt I was singing in a "box" with this amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Blues View Post
Here is the link:

My equipment is an AER compact version 2 plus I'm using a TC Hellicon Mic Mechanic vocal pedal going into my AER.
The guitar is a Martin DX1 RAE with a Fishman Matrix infinity installed

Dave
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 01-18-2020, 01:27 AM

That right Kuki
I've had ther mic mechanic for years and it took me a while to get the right settings.
I had difficulty at first so for years I left it on the shelf.
But started experimenting with it again.

I found when I use it with good quality XLR cables it does make a difference. I use either Klotz or Whirpool cables. They are a bit more expensive then your standard XLR or jack cables but they last long time. Plus they are great when using pedals or preamp.
With the mic mechanic I have recently disengaged the co.pression or tone button and just use the echo with a bit of delay option set to about 9 or 10 o'clock.
I keep the pitch correction to zero and the main gain to 9 o'clock.
On the AER I put the master on 10 o clock and the vocal volume between 9 and 10 o'clock..
I find this to be the best settings that work for me.

Isn't it exciting when you tweak and tweak and experiment with different things and then hit jackpot.
Mind you over the years I have wasted money on things that didn't quite work. Lol.
Plus with the AER I find the earlier version 2 works really well with pedals. This is just to my ears. Each of us may find different things that work for them.
I love this Acoustic Guitar Forum .its great we all share ideas and have a passion on guitars and amps and stuff.
Dave
Old 01-18-2020, 02:53 AM
Charter Member

The popular story about the SM58 is that you can hammer nails with it and then use it on a gig. That story exists for a reason - you almost can.

My SM58s, a couple of which are over thirty years old, have seen their fair share of bumps, dings and whacks in normal gigging use over the years and still function flawlessly. Your average twenty dollar mic is typically dead after one trip to the floor.

I’ll cheap out on guitars, but not mics.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:03 AM

Hi Nymuso.
Wow .30 years and still going strong.
Shure do have that reputation.
My shure beta 58a over the years as it's been through all sorts of weather's. I've occasionally replaced the grill but still going strong.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification