The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-06-2019, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmaster View Post
Your liable to get many different responses--I just went through the search process myself and read lots of threads, and everyone has their preferences. I chose to go with a Soundcraft EFX-8 and a powered QSC K10.2--I went that way as I liked the EQ section, preamp sound, and effects on the mixer, the ability to have phantom power for condenser mics or powering some preamps if needed, and the speaker provides a nice full range sound with more than enough power/headroom. I felt these features were important for getting the very best sound for vocals especially. I also liked the fact that it could be easily expanded to a band situation if needed. It's maybe a not the most portable and maybe a bit of overkill for a solo deal, but it's really only a couple of pieces to haul and it sounds great!
FWIW I also bought a Bose S1 and I love it too--I was going to demo both during my return period, but decided to keep it too. It doesn't offer the versatility of the aforementioned system, but it's super portable, battery operated, etc, and sounds good for a small system. It's also great for practicing at home. If I could only have one it would be the Soundcraft/QSC for the reasons I mentioned.
This is what i use solo. Basically an analog mixer ( mackie with fx small)
and qsc k10. I just like the sound of the qsc. The power is nice as well.
In the band we use either qsc or bose l2 and a touchmix . I prefer the qsc and analog mixr Im just an
analog kind of guy when it comes to sound. The digital mixers have come a long
way but they still have this sterile sound to my ear. The audience doesnt know
the difference.

Last edited by varmonter; 04-06-2019 at 06:19 AM.
Old 04-06-2019, 05:57 PM

I currently have the Boss Acoustic Singer Pro, and so far have not had any complaints(apart from being too loud on one occasion!), but I'm drawn towards the Fishman SA330X, and I'm looking to combine the two.

Using the ASP as a monitor, I can use the separate outputs post effects direct into the two inputs on the Fishman's front control panel and then project everything out to the audience through the Fishman as one combined signal.
That's how it works in my head, putting it into practice means I just have to purchase the SA330X to prove it!!
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 04-06-2019, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
I currently have the Boss Acoustic Singer Pro, and so far have not had any complaints(apart from being too loud on one occasion!), but I'm drawn towards the Fishman SA330X, and I'm looking to combine the two.

Using the ASP as a monitor, I can use the separate outputs post effects direct into the two inputs on the Fishman's front control panel and then project everything out to the audience through the Fishman as one combined signal.
That's how it works in my head, putting it into practice means I just have to purchase the SA330X to prove it!!
Should work fine. I've been doing that with a Fishman LBM, and more recently a Bose S1, into an L1C for years.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:32 AM

For a solo acoustic act, there are a few things to consider. It really depends on your budget, how much gear and how heavy a load you're willing to carry, and how loud and how much coverage you need for the venues you play.

For small to medium gigs, I find the best system for my needs is my Fishman SA 330. Why? It weighs less than 30 lbs. and with the Deluxe carry case with wheels its super easy to move. It has a pretty full featured mixer contained on the unit with a notch filter plus reverb, and 3 band eq. It's loud enough and disperses sound very well. and is bargain priced. I believe it can be had for $799. I use mine with a TC Helicon Play Acoustic, but it works fine by itself. Having a built in mixer is a real cost saving over most other towers.

For larger gigs I have two QSC K 10.2 powered speakers, USS stands, and a Yamaha MG10XU mixer. Of course I can use only one speaker if the situation occurs where that is the better option. Both of my systems sound great and are fairly light to carry. The Fishman gets used most as it's easier to carry , set up and tear down while being loud enough for most gig I play.

It's a great time to be a musician as far as gear goes. Your options are nearly unlimited. The quality and dependability are great these days and stuff is so much lighter than it was when I started playing. Just remember this stuff will only make what you do audible to your audience, it can't improve your performance!

For larger
Old 01-11-2020, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post

I'm wondering how this worked out? I am planning on doing the same.. (Boss acoustic singer, post effects through a Bose l1m2). Hoping to achieve the sound of the Boss with the dispersion of the BL1M2 B2 Bass.. I'm curious if anyone has done something similar through the Bose and if it was what they wanted it to be?
Old 01-11-2020, 09:46 AM

I think the OP is really seeking opinions regarding the relative merits of the tower system against a conventional acoustic amp.

You can't argue against the sound dispersion of the tower system, something that a single-cabinet acoustic amp can't get close to.

When I play a small house party in one room, I don't need that feature, so I just use a powered speaker slightly raised off the floor. I have tried a few acoustic amps, but a good mixer and powered speaker always comes out on top for me.

Regarding ease of set up, I don't suppose you can beat an amp..!

So, as usual, it just depends on your need for the gig.

If I had to choose just one system, it would have to be my Bose L1 as it will do any gig I'll likely ever do.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:19 AM

LOVE my Fishman Loudbox Performer! I've never needed anything more.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willymartin View Post
I'm wondering how this worked out? I am planning on doing the same.. (Boss acoustic singer, post effects through a Bose l1m2). Hoping to achieve the sound of the Boss with the dispersion of the BL1M2 B2 Bass.. I'm curious if anyone has done something similar through the Bose and if it was what they wanted it to be?
I used my Acoustic Singer Live a few times and used the mixed out to my
L1 Compact via an XLR/TRS converter. It was a very nice combo. All
of the EQ options on the ASL made it a great mixer as well as, monitor.

I never used it with my L1mod2 live, but see no reason why it wouldn't
be good also.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:23 PM

Default Fishman SA330

Ive been using the Fishman SA330 with the sub for a couple of years and it sounds amazing. For larger louder venues I also run a QSC K10 from the SA330. It’s really been an easy setup system
Old 01-12-2020, 08:34 AM

One of the things that bugs me about
a lot of these systems is the controls
are all on the boxes or towers.
Requiring you to walk back and forth
to make adjustments.
Or requiring a mixer so the controls
are next to you on a chair.
Thus defeating the all in one purposed feature.
I use a d68 a box designed to be all in
one guitar amp pa. You put it up on a pole and any height for me over 4.5ft (im 6 ft )and
you cant see the mixer. So again set it and forget it.

Last edited by varmonter; 01-12-2020 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:19 AM

I use short speaker stands for both my D6-8 and my Roy. I keep whichever one I am using at a height where they are raised several feet, but still low enough where I can access the top mounted control. I play standing up and the speaker is about the same height as my guitar.

How well does it work? It actually works quite well with any seated or listening audience. My general rule of thumb is that if you can see the grill of the speaker cabinet, you can also hear the highs from it.

So, if you come to hear me play and you can see me and my amp, you'll hear me well enough to understand what the lyrics.

If it is a crowded place where people are standing and you can't see me and the amp on stage, the bodies will absorb the highs, and the clarity of the lyrics will be lost unless I use a speaker (or two) with a high frequency driver mounted high over people's heads.

I try not to play places where people aren't actually listening to me though.

Last edited by lkingston; 01-12-2020 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
One of the things that bugs me about
a lot of these systems is the controls
are all on the boxes or towers.
Requiring you to walk back and forth
to make adjustments.
Or requiring a mixer so the controls
are next to you on a chair.
Thus defeating the all in one purposed feature.
I use a d68 a box designed to be all in
one guitar amp pa. You put it up on a pole and any height for me over 4.5ft (im 6 ft )and
you cant see the mixer. So again set it and forget it.
Whoever comes up with a Bluetooth driven EQ first will have the world by the you know what.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-13-2020, 08:43 AM

Having gone from a tower (fishstick) to a powered speaker, I can say that the powered speaker gives a "punchier" sound. The tower gives a more dispersed sound. I prefer the powered speaker. Also its smaller when off the stand. Doubles nicely as a practice amp, which was a pain to do with the fishstick.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willymartin View Post
Sorry, but the funds haven't presented themselves enough for that to happen just yet!!
I've moved on from the Fishman SA330X now, and seriously looking at the LD Systems Maui 28 G2 with a small mixing desk with effects built in.
https://www.worldofmusic.com.au/live...SABEgKTa_D_BwE
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 01-15-2020, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Whoever comes up with a Bluetooth driven EQ first will have the world by the you know what.
The HK Audio Lucas Nano 608i portable PA system offers exactly that feature. You control the eq, compression, reverb, etc. from an iPad via Bluetooth.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification