The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-18-2020, 05:09 PM

Default no comparisons between McPherson Sable vs. Emerald?

is it me or is it kind of stupefying that there are no comparison videos on youtube between the McPherson Sable vs. Emerald X20 (or X30)? to me, they compete in the same price category and being CF guitars with great reputations i can't believe not one person has one of each to compare in a sound/tone test. if i'm wrong and someone can direct me to a good comparison video (or audio soundcloud clip)...would greatly appreciate it.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpharm View Post
is it me or is it kind of stupefying that there are no comparison videos on youtube between the McPherson Sable vs. Emerald X20 (or X30)? to me, they compete in the same price category and being CF guitars with great reputations i can't believe not one person has one of each to compare in a sound/tone test. if i'm wrong and someone can direct me to a good comparison video (or audio soundcloud clip)...would greatly appreciate it.
Forum member byudzai has (or has had) both guitars. He is the one who has an X30 and released a great video review that has been gas inducing for so many since he sung it's praises. Maybe you can PM him direct and ask him for his thoughts? He isn't super active on here though....

here is that video of the X30 if you've not seen it (but who hasn't?)

Old 01-18-2020, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpharm View Post
I’ve not seen such a comparison either. It would represent a pretty substantial investment to own both a Sable and an X20, so that might be one reason. It’s hardly stupefying - not everyone who owns guitars from multiple makers feels compelled to rush to the internet to display their preferences. Most of us are content to enjoy them all in their own context, and not turn everything into a competition.

I’m in touch with another AGF member who is a McPherson owner. He and I have been trying to get together for a while now, so that he can try my X20, and I can try some of his collection. Trouble is, it keeps snowing here in Minnesota, and making the liaison has been challenging. When we do finally get together, maybe we can each offer our thoughts as to the comparison.

Or not
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 01-18-2020, 06:18 PM

I had an X20, and have a Sable, both fantastic guitars. I only have memories of the tone of the X20, but it was more towards what the Sable offers than what my Rainsongs sounded like, fwiw. I had finger pain during long term play with the X20 stock neck, so it moved to a new home with someone here on the forum.
IIRC, the X20 was slightly brighter, quite a bit more projection, or maybe volume? My Sable has an incredible range, very well balanced and very pleasing, though maybe without the projection? I am not sure how to qualify it.
Old 01-18-2020, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
I’ve not seen such a comparison either. It would represent a pretty substantial investment to own both a Sable and an X20, so that might be one reason. It’s hardly stupefying - not everyone who owns guitars from multiple makers feels compelled to rush to the internet to display their preferences. Most of us are content to enjoy them all in their own context, and not turn everything into a competition.

I’m in touch with another AGF member who is a McPherson owner. He and I have been trying to get together for a while now, so that he can try my X20, and I can try some of his collection. Trouble is, it keeps snowing here in Minnesota, and making the liaison has been challenging. When we do finally get together, maybe we can each offer our thoughts as to the comparison.

Or not
We can continue to stay in touch via PM. It is my hope that even the snow gets tired of snowing eventually, probably very eventually.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 01-18-2020, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
We can continue to stay in touch via PM. It is my hope that even the snow gets tired of snowing eventually, probably very eventually.

Tony
One can only hope, Tony, one can only hope...
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 01-18-2020, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Does Kramster still have an X30 and a Sable? Pretty sure he's at NAMM right now, but I'm guessing we might hear from him.

I have played a couple Sables and own an X20, so I don't have long-term use with the Sable. My impressions were: solidly built, less projection than the X20, and the sound was "darker"... not particularly bass-heavy, but not as much note separation as the X20. Both are fine guitars. I prefer the tone, feel, and aesthetics of the Emerald. Either should make the owner very happy.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:36 AM

Captain,

I think the more appropriate question is what CF guitars doesn't our CF ambassador Kramster have
Old 01-19-2020, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post

Tony
Maybe I'll try to set up another AGF get-together somewhere. It's been years and years.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:47 AM

I like them both if that helps... both are in my top 10.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-19-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Does Kramster still have an X30 and a Sable? Pretty sure he's at NAMM right now, but I'm guessing we might hear from him.

I have played a couple Sables and own an X20, so I don't have long-term use with the Sable. My impressions were: solidly built, less projection than the X20, and the sound was "darker"... not particularly bass-heavy, but not as much note separation as the X20. Both are fine guitars. I prefer the tone, feel, and aesthetics of the Emerald. Either should make the owner very happy.
Pretty much spot on!...just sayin’
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-19-2020, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
Maybe I'll try to set up another AGF get-together somewhere. It's been years and years.
Yes!! Thank you!

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 01-19-2020, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Pretty much spot on!...just sayin’
If I had to use one word to describe myself, it would be: pretty much spot on... except for when I'm not.

Just saying.

And, you heard it from the man himself: both are in his Top 10. Hard to argue with that logic.

When do we get to hear about NAMM? Inquiring minds want to know.

Last edited by Captain Jim; 01-19-2020 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
If

When do we get to hear about NAMM? Inquiring minds want to know.

Patience Grasshopper....I’ll be home 2 days after yesterday
Old 01-20-2020, 09:13 AM

thanks for all the responses. i definitely respect the opinions of the CF veterans in this forum and appreciate that many of you have even finer-tuned ears than i have. admittedly, there is some part of me that still wants to hear an A/B of the tone samples of each instrument even though listening over the internet is suboptimal - still at least i would hope to get a sense of the relative differences. if anyone ever is able to get the two instruments in a studio and play them side by side with the same performer doing the same music (much like Ian Meadows youtube channel), would greatly appreciate it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber