The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-19-2020, 11:44 AM

Default Acoustic Players & NAMM

I notice that most of the products announced year-on-year at NAMM have very little to do with acoustic players. In the last few I've followed, there's been the LR Baggs Align pedals, Fender Smolder Overdrive and less than 10 acoustic amps total (none of which offer anything much different from competition).

There's the occasional token acoustic guitar from big brands, maybe the Acoustasonic but most of the products that made the biggest splash in the acoustic amplification community for the last couple of years were from random individual releases.

Has it always been like this for the folks who've been around the scene longer?
Old 01-19-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrome View Post
I notice that most of the products announced year-on-year at NAMM have very little to do with acoustic players. In the last few I've followed, there's been the LR Baggs Align pedals, Fender Smolder Overdrive and less than 10 acoustic amps total (none of which offer anything much different from competition).

There's the occasional token acoustic guitar from big brands, maybe the Acoustasonic but most of the products that made the biggest splash in the acoustic amplification community for the last couple of years were from random individual releases.

Sure seems that way to me.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 01-19-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrome View Post
Pretty much. You have to remember, the show is aimed at music merchants. As such, all of these companies are trying to display their best selling items or those that feel might sell best. The acoustic guitar market is a pretty niche part of the entire music industry and so there's less merchandise that will end up selling.
It's really just a reflection of the numbers. IIRC it was even worse during the dark days for acoustics in the 80s and everyone was pushing the latest and greatest electrics and accessories. I'm impressed that acoustics even get as much space as they do at NAMM.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:31 PM

I guess it's all in what you look for. Yes, something like the Baggs align series gets a lot of press but that's just because they are a major company. Also, the align series is for acoustic players so not sure what you mean here? This year alone, Fishman introduced their body sensor as an aftermarket system, Blackstar (I believe it was them), released an acoustic amp, Lr Baggs has the Soundscape, Misi released a new air system etc. I find there are generally quite a few acoustic products, you just sometimes need to look past the major magazines/online websites that tend to just focus on the major companies.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:42 PM

Like Petty said - NAMM is not a guitar show it is an everything show. Tubas, flutes, drums, mics, amps, electronics, software, tonerites, clips, clamps, cables, mixers, pedals, drum sticks.......then there are some guitars. The bigger manufacturer's are upstairs with all the noise, din, crashing.....

There are thousands of new products and yes, some are for acoustic guitars. It's the place where merchants place their pre-orders for the year and you can see the new offerings from Lowden, Martin, Gibson, Taylor....... Annually, there is generally a big wow item from Martin, Taylor.....Taylor had theirs two years ago with the release of the V bracing. Martin has theirs this year. Gibson probably has more new than most this year. At the heart of it, we play acoustic guitar which changes very little over the past 100 years. Play and enjoy what you/we have.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification