The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-05-2018, 01:07 AM

Default New fretboard side markers on CF

Pics anyone? I agree that the stock side markers on the OF660 are hard to see, especially after I refinished the neck on mine to satin. I'm seriously considering not only the stickers for the side fret markers but for the rest of the guitar too- the Journey's look really nice with these. Nothing to fancy me thinks... might just do the blue dots to match the blue top on mine

Last edited by steelvibe; 12-05-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:37 AM

I ordered a set of the stickers that should arrive tomorrow. They'll be on my GX, not a Journey, but I'll try to take a few pics.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:50 AM

I got the Inlaystickers in the mail and tried them out. Easy to install. They do have some relief, but don't get in the way of playing--although if you do a lot of thumb-over it might be a different story. They are a bit larger than I'd like at a full 1/8" diameter. It does come with 24 of the 1/8" dots, so even if they wear off you could replace them several times with one pack.

I didn't take a full "before" shot, but here is one of the stickers on the 3rd fret with the original, dim 1/16" dot seen on the 5th fret:

And up to the 9th fret, with the original double-dot 12th fret visible:

The neck with 3, 5, 7 and 9th fret dots installed:

No question that the side marker visibility is improved! 1/8" seems a bit large especially on the thin neck of the GX; a 3/32" size would look nicer and still be plenty visible, I think. But the goal of better side markers is accomplished, for just $10 and 10 minutes of installation time. I'll leave them on and see how things go.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:43 PM

Nice... connect the dots and make a guitar neck
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-08-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Nice... connect the dots and make a guitar neck
So that's how those CF luthiers do it!
Old 12-08-2018, 02:28 PM

Cool! Thanks for the pics.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:04 PM

I used the ones from that Amazon link I posted previously and coated them with a little bit of clear nail polish to keep them in place. They still eventually came off. Here is a picture right after installation:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...2daaEV3N2xuR0E

I also think these work pretty well and my duo partner uses them on his bass:

https://www.amazon.com/Small-removab...w+mark-it+dots

He also coats with clear nail polish to get them to last longer. They are much weaker adhesive, but I think a bit thinner.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 12-08-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I used the ones from that Amazon link I posted previously
Those are what I just installed as well. Even if they come off after a bit, I'll at least know if better side markers are a solution to my problem. :-) They don't look too bad, but I may do luthier-installed inset markers as a permanent solution. You can see in my photos how small and dim the factory dots on the GX are; might as well not have them at all in some lighting situations. I can play a lot of pieces with my eyes closed, but occasionally visible markers come in mighty handy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber