The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-16-2010, 09:47 PM

I am hopelessly hooked on nylon. I the feel of the strings and the tone that they produce. After 30 years of playing steel stringers, it's like falling in love with the guitar all over again.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play2PraiseHim View Post
Some people will always laugh or think negatively for anything that does not fit the norm or is out of the box. But as I have said many times, yu should play what YOU like and LIKE what you play. If you are not pleased with your guitar, you will not play your best.

Do you have a particuliar maker in mind for your crossover?
It was kind of my plan to just play whatever I wanted, but I wasn't sure if that was something other folks do with nylon guitars. I mean, I knew the Beatles used nylons every so often, but they did a lot of crazy stuff...

I've been looking at making the NS24ce my first "real" Taylor, but that's partly because it's the only crossover I've found locally.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:18 AM

Sounds like a good plan. There are alot more options in a crossover than their used to be. They seem to be getting alot more attention lately and builders seemt o be responding to that. Did you have a particuliar budget in mind? I owned a Taylor NS64ce. It was a beautiful guitar with great build quality that smelled great and really shined when plugged in. It was just too quite unplugged and did not offer me many tonal colors.

You might want to check out Yamaha, Cervantes, LaPatrie, Cordoba, and Kenny Hill.

Do you play plugged in, unplugged, or both?
Old 09-17-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play2PraiseHim View Post
Sounds like a good plan. There are alot more options in a crossover than their used to be. They seem to be getting alot more attention lately and builders seemt o be responding to that. Did you have a particuliar budget in mind? I owned a Taylor NS64ce. It was a beautiful guitar with great build quality that smelled great and really shined when plugged in. It was just too quite unplugged and did not offer me many tonal colors.

You might want to check out Yamaha, Cervantes, LaPatrie, Cordoba, and Kenny Hill.

Do you play plugged in, unplugged, or both?
I play almost exclusively unplugged. My budget right now is not very high at this point. Around $K (if I can sell my Tacoma).
Old 09-17-2010, 10:54 AM

Susitna, PM sent.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:52 AM

In the 35+ years I've been playing, I've never owned a classical until yesterday. I kind of found out by accident that my wife has wanted me to get a classical for years, but I only became aware of it about a couple of weeks ago. I began a half-serious search for an inexpensive (under $300) nylon, which I thought would limit me to entry level Yamahas. I didn't know what to expect, but I found out there are quite a few good-sounding entry level classicals out there. I ended up getting a Cordoba C5. Getting used to it now...I'm finding there are a lot of songs that I've wanted to play for years on nylon. I'm going to drive my wife crazy re-learning Mood for a Day.

2003 Taylor 855ce (K&K 12)
2012 Taylor GS Mini hog (DiMarzio Black Angel)
2012 Taylor K26ce WW (Custom Shop)
2023 Taylor AD26e SE baritone
2019 Deering Goodtime II banjo
Epiphone SG Special (for noodling)
Old 09-17-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kottkenut View Post
In the 35+ years I've been playing, I've never owned a classical until yesterday. I kind of found out by accident that my wife has wanted me to get a classical for years, but I only became aware of it about a couple of weeks ago. I began a half-serious search for an inexpensive (under $300) nylon, which I thought would limit me to entry level Yamahas. I didn't know what to expect, but I found out there are quite a few good-sounding entry level classicals out there. I ended up getting a Cordoba C5. Getting used to it now...I'm finding there are a lot of songs that I've wanted to play for years on nylon. I'm going to drive my wife crazy re-learning Mood for a Day.
Welcome to the wonderful world of nylon. It is quite enchanting. I am sure your wife will enjoy listening to you serenade her. Not many guys can say that their wives wants them to buy another guitar.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:36 PM

Yep, she's pretty special. I won't buy a guitar unless she's there to hear it...won't let me get it unless it sounds good. I wasn't even in the market this time.

Had to change my signature, though...took the C5 back and got a C3M. The C5 had a little problem with a funny sound it was making with the A string at the 9th fret, so I exchanged it for the C3M that I was looking at along with the C5 yesterday.

2003 Taylor 855ce (K&K 12)
2012 Taylor GS Mini hog (DiMarzio Black Angel)
2012 Taylor K26ce WW (Custom Shop)
2023 Taylor AD26e SE baritone
2019 Deering Goodtime II banjo
Epiphone SG Special (for noodling)
Old 09-27-2010, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

I started studying flamenco about 3 months ago and it's all I want to play now - I'm under the spell in a big way. I have a beautiful old Lowden that isn't getting much attention these days!
Old 09-27-2010, 02:22 PM

I upgraded last year my old Alvarez Yairi to a Taylor NS74CE (I'm one of the oddballs who actually LOVES my Taylor), and have been working on reading charts and playing a mix of classical, latin, and other tunes with a classical violinist. I think it's made me a much better steel-string player in that I'm more aware of the notes I'm playing, and I'm thinking more like a piano player instead of a strummer. It also makes me more aware of dynamics and playing with someone else intimately,even delicately, instead of just banging it out. So, the benefit to a steel-string player is that it can sharpen your game musically.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:10 PM

I got a JMSM (NS72CE) as a graduation gift and I haven't touched my old steel string Yammy in quite a bit. After 3 years of playing steel string I felt like my fingers still hadn't adjusted to the strings, but once I switched to the nylon it was like everything fell into place for me. It's great how a lot of songs I used to play still sound great, if not better, when going from steel string -> nylon.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzice View Post
I got a JMSM (NS72CE) as a graduation gift and I haven't touched my old steel string Yammy in quite a bit. After 3 years of playing steel string I felt like my fingers still hadn't adjusted to the strings, but once I switched to the nylon it was like everything fell into place for me. It's great how a lot of songs I used to play still sound great, if not better, when going from steel string -> nylon.
I've also got a Yamaha FG720S (lefty) sitting idle since I've gotten my nylon-string. I only began learning to play in January when I bought my Yamaha. I gravitated toward fingerstyle and noticed that most of those whose music I enjoyed on Youtube were playing nylon. I happened upon a used La Patrie lefty on ebay in mid July and haven't touched the steel string since.

I'm already thinking of an upgrade and it's absolutely going to be a classical. I got it bad and that ain't good... for my yammi

Last edited by attaboypip; 09-28-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:14 AM

There is something so uniquely warm and inviting about the nylon string guitar. It has a sound that is all it's own to which nothing can compare. It can be very harp like in the right hands. On the flip side, it can be a very percussive powerhouse in another pair of right hands. Sweet and dynamic. Now that is true versatility.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:53 PM

I agree. The versatility is where the NS really shines
Old 09-29-2010, 03:02 PM

Thumbs up Nylon Hybrid

Checkout my instrument for sale in the for sale part of this forum, its the nylon hybrid by guitars by Lawrence, i think its worth the look

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical