The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-01-2009, 05:00 PM
Guest316

I love going back and forth between the steel and nylon stringed instruments, they are like two different worlds of sound. Also, I'm 6'5" tall and have big 'ol hands and I like the 2" nut width on the Yairi - -
Old 12-01-2009, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball Jones View Post
I also see many people get intimidated by the 2" wide fretboards, as was I before I picked one up to play. I have smallish hands also and thought I'd never be able to play one. But I don't know what it is, it's just not an issue at all. I had no problem fretting any chords or barre-chords or anything I "thought" I would encounter.

The wide fretboard is a non-issue, so don't let that intimidate anyone.
Goofball,

For my part, the 2" thread is not intimidating, it's irritating. When I'm using 1 11/16" and 1 3/4" nut widths on my steel strings, that 2" nylon nut width is enough of a difference that I seriously lose accuracy. If all I did was play a 2" nylon classical, then 2" is not a problem. But it's a problem when I'm going back and forth.

Regards, Glenn
Old 12-02-2009, 03:26 PM

I'm offering a nice Yamaha crossover on the AGF to any of you steel stringers who'd like to have a modestly priced nylon string guitar.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Wink

you need to buy and watch this:
http://elderly.com/videos/items/02-DVD21991.htm

you will be mesmorized and transformed, and you WILL go out and buy a classical.

daryl
Old 12-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Guest316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Goofball,

For my part, the 2" thread is not intimidating, it's irritating. When I'm using 1 11/16" and 1 3/4" nut widths on my steel strings, that 2" nylon nut width is enough of a difference that I seriously lose accuracy. If all I did was play a 2" nylon classical, then 2" is not a problem. But it's a problem when I'm going back and forth.

Regards, Glenn
For me it takes about a 60 second transition period to get my fingers used to the switch, then I'm fine. Maybe if you made the switch more often it would be easier. It's really cool to make the switch in a set, it's like you turn a mood on and off in an audience or group. When I switch from steel to the classical, I transition my fingers by pretending I'm tuning the guitar - after a minute, I'm ready. While I'm "tuning" I say "You know, they told me at the rental place not to touch these knobs up here, but I figured what the heck, it's my buck."
Old 12-02-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post

you will be mesmorized and transformed, and you WILL go out and buy a classical.

daryl
She is a wonderful player. (not hard on the eyes, either)

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
IBG Epiphone J-200 Aged Antique
Old 12-02-2009, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

My work takes me to Omaha every so often, and I always try to drop in to Russo's while I'm there (fine, fine store). On my last couple of visits, I've been drawn to a Taylor NS24e - must be the slot head and the body size/proportions, which I find very appealing. It has a very sweet sound (although I'd describe its volume as 'polite'), and is wonderfully playable. I gather that it has a 1 7/8" nut, but frankly, it's so well set up, I didn't give it a second thought.

Last time there, I plugged it into an Ultrasound AG30, and was truly smitten - even though it turns out it's 'only' the ES-T UST, not the full ES system.

Unfortunately, even for a "low-end" Taylor, it's too rich for my budget - but I'm convinced that it, or something like it, has a place in the lineup. I'm not a classical guitarist by any measure - but I love the way these things sound and feel.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 12-02-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post

Here is a clip from that concert. That guitar is a standard sized classical, yet it's almost as big as she is! She can't be no bigger than a minute.

Beautiful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4YngQ49dSw

Basses:
Ernie Ball/Music Man Stingray 4 HS
Old 12-03-2009, 12:17 AM

I switch around between my yamaha classical and my larrivee steel string. I find with the classical guitar it is easy to get the volume/projection and of course that mellow nylon string sound. I also play my classical pieces on my steel string just to get different sound flavor. Cavatina sounds real nice on the steel string. Gavotte en rondeau sounds suprisingly refreshing on the steel string, but there is no way that I can play Receurdos de Alhambra on the steel string, the tremolo just does not work on steel string. Some of the pieces that I picked up from youtube that were played on steel string, sound so much better on the classical guitar. Try your own mix and match, it is fun.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:18 AM

I switch around between my yamaha classical and my larrivee steel string. I find with the classical guitar it is easy to get the volume/projection and of course there is that mellow nylon string sound. I also play my classical pieces on my steel string just to get different sound flavor. Cavatina sounds real nice on the steel string. Gavotte en rondeau sounds suprisingly refreshing on the steel string, but there is no way that I can play Receurdos de Alhambra on the steel string, the tremolo just does not work on steel string. Some of the pieces that I picked up from youtube that were played on steel string, sound so much better on the classical guitar. Try your own mix and match, it is fun.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:07 AM

Default Buy back on a lauriente

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I'm addicted to the nylon sound for certain things.....and that's why I did a "buy back" on my Loriente Clarita over the weekend. I missed it dearly and have hardly put it down since.
Im not suprised you wanted to buy it back, i recently part exchanged a very lovely Loriente "Carmen" towards a Martin HD35...now i dont regret doing it, but i do miss my Lauriente as it was a nice easy guitar to play and i enjoyed playing both Classical and flamenco styles on it.

i also own a pure Flamenco guitar which is to staccato and crisp to really sound good playing classical on, them wooded pegs are a "real pain to get in tune properly as well" but i have to admit the Lauriente was great for many styles of music, whereas my pure flamenco really has the "flamenco Guitar sound Nailed" which is what i was looking for, one day when i can afford it i will buy another classical guitar
1967 Hand made Flamenco guitar
Old 12-03-2009, 05:15 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I still consider myself essentially a steel string player and I love my acoustics; however, I have found that of late my nylon string gets as much playing time as, if not more than, my steel strings. There's something kind of warm and initmate about the feel and sound of nylon string guitars. So far I've done the rounds of crossover guitars, and I think I'll have to think in terms of getting a genuine classical guitar next. Anyone else in danger of being converted?
I own this exact guitar, although mine only says "Hecho en Valencia" inside, while this particular one has the full label, which shows it to be made by Salvadore Ibanez: http://www.holylandprotectorate.org/instr/029-x.jpg

Also, someone connected the tuner holes with slots and put geared tuners on it, luckily for me:-)

Regards,
Howard
Old 12-03-2009, 06:03 AM
AGF Sponsor

I found a picture of me with my Ibanez flamenco:

http://www.piano-man.de/pics/archiv/emerson_5_neu.jpg

The original shot was taken at Columbia University with candle lighting only using a Hasselblad with really fast film...............The original looks great, but I just found this copy at a German site that had an interview with me a few years back.

HE
Old 12-18-2009, 11:12 PM

I've had the nylon string itch for quite awhile, ever since I took my 40 year-old Aria out of mothballs (first guitar I ever owned), replaced the broken tuning machines, had a new nut and saddle installed and put in a cast-off Fishman Matrix. I plugged it in and was hooked. For some things it just sounds right. I don't do classical (though I took lessons in my teens) but for some folk tunes it's just the ticket. I've been playing Stephen Bishop's "On and On" on and on the last few days enough to drive the wife crazy!

I began looking for a "better" nylon string guitar and like many long-time steel players was thinking of a crossover. I tried some and wasn't all that taken and also realized that the looser strings almost needed the extra distance. That, seeing Michael Johnson play his Kohno in concert, and being unhappy with what I found at GC stores, I pretty much decided that if I was to get something it would have to be really worth it, and that that would put me looking at the couple-thousand dollar range.

I just bought my first new steel string in years, a Hoffman SJ, and recently ordered a Pavan to try out based on a lot of great reviews. I received one last week and, although it was really beautiful, it just didn't jump out and say "this is it!", so I returned it. Although that old Aria does have some intonation issues, it really isn't all that bad. I'll keep looking for the "right" nylon but I'm now in a more patient mode. The sad thing is that , even here in Chicago, there don't seem to be stores that carry good classicals.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 12-19-2009, 11:57 PM

I`m back and forth...either my Larivee Lite steels or my Yamaha Dynamics...sometimes my old S. Yairis...or one of my other more obscure MIJ nylon strings...so many guitars so little time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical