The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 12-09-2018, 09:14 PM

Default Dead & Company 2019 Summer Tour

19 shows have been announced, tickets are on sale now!

Last year at Alpine Valley was fantastic, this year I'll be at Wrigley on Saturday night.

Anyone else going this year?

https://deadandcompany.com/

2005 Gibson J-45
1985 Guild D17
2012 Fender Am. Std. Stratocaster
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Old 06-15-2019, 07:32 AM

Heading out for Chicago in 30 minutes. Any one else going today?

2005 Gibson J-45
1985 Guild D17
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Old 07-14-2019, 05:24 PM

Missed the Dallas show which is the closest they came to me, was disappointed but work wouldn’t allow it on a Tuesday night the week of the 4th. Would love to see them as I think Mayer is doing a fantastic job, and I wasn’t a Mayer fan prior to Dead and Co. But I still think JRAD is the best Dead cover band touring right now and hope to catch them in Dallas in September.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:55 AM

To me, it sort of depends what you're looking for. JRAD is really great, and it feels to me like they take more chances, expanding the "boundaries" and taking the jams out for a walk more. They do their own thing with them a little more, while staying true to the core of the music. Also, their tempo is faster.

Dead & Company, on the other hand, feel closer (to me, anyway) to the original vibe of the music when the Grateful Dead was touring (except tempo). I.e., to me, they're not stepping outside of the old box as much as JRAD might be. That said, I feel like D&C plays REALLY tight once they get going, especially the younger guys. Feels like jams flow very organically. But, the tempos are not as fast. I don't know if that allows them to play tighter or not, but it's a slower, maybe slightly more precise, layered feel with D&C, to me.

I prefer Dead & Company, but I like them both. When John and Jeff start playing off of each other in a jam, boy is it fun to listen to and watch. Or if Oteil really gets in a groove (if you can find it, check out Eyes Of The World from 7/6/19...it is so syrupy and tasty you can almost drink it).

Ultimately, though, I'm just glad the music is still evolving and being played and enjoyed!
Old 07-15-2019, 07:46 PM

I'm hoping Dead & Co do a fall tour. I wish I had gotten tickets for both nights at Wrigley.

2005 Gibson J-45
1985 Guild D17
1997 Guild Bluesbird

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN