The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-02-2018, 10:33 AM

Default After a couple of days - X20 and HD28 sounds

When I posted my NGD for my new X20 I said I would not post any sounds because I thought byudzaiís review of his X30 had that covered. Now that Iíve had the X20 for a couple of days and played it side by side with my HD28, I went back to his review.

I gotta tell you Ė it is dead on for a sound comparison Ė at least through my just-pretty-good stereo system. Even though his is an X30 and mine is an X20, the differences in sound I hear there between the Emerald and the Martin are exactly what I am hearing unamplified here.

Itís hard to describe, but to me:

The Emerald is a bit lusher when notes are played together - either strummed or fingerpicked. I was surprised as the Martin I have is the lushest guitar I have played. I experience that as the sounds of the strings blending together in a nice rich way. Byudzai described it elsewhere as a fat/thick sound. Yep.

The Martin sounded just slightly thinner by comparison at first. Listening a while longer, I conclude it is that I am hearing the individual string sounds just a bit more distinctly than on the Emerald. Still lush sounds together, but I hear them individually as well.

Some days you want fat/smooth. Some days you want lush but distinct. Iím lucky to have them both available.

So, if you are thinking about an Emerald and wonder how it compares to things you might know, I recommend again looking at Byudzai's review. What you hear is what you're gonna get.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

If the Emerald X20 can compete in any way with a Martin HD-28 for great tone, then my next carbon guitar will be an Emerald X20 in Emerald Green. Thanks for your review!
Martin HD-28 (Trance M-VT)
Martin D-18 (Schatten HFN Artist Plus 2)
Martin D Jr (B-Band A1.2N)
Taylor 614ce ES2
Taylor 618e ES2
Taylor 356ce ES2
Taylor 322ce ES2
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa ES2
Epiphone DR-500MCE (Shadow eSonic2)
Ovation Elite Plus Contour (OpProStudio)
Ovation VXT Electric (Duncan '59s/Fishman Acoustic Bridge)
Old 12-02-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
If the Emerald X20 can compete in any way with a Martin HD-28 for great tone, then my next carbon guitar will be an Emerald X20 in Emerald Green. Thanks for your review!
I am looking forward to reading your review!

RainSong CH-PA1100NS, TKL 8975
RainSong CO-PA1100NS, TKL 8975
RainSong H-DR1100N2, TKL 8910
All 3 taped Schatten Passive HFN & Elixir PB11

Notepad-12FX, one QSC CP8 (21 lbs) high/behind
Duo gigging no mixer two SM58>Y>CP8, HFN>ZoomG1four>TRS>CP8 3.5mm

www.justsoduo.com
Old 12-02-2018, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

I find Byudzai's review and your observations really interesting confirmation. I had a 1968 Martin D28 for about 25 years - not an HD28, but a D28 from the Brazillian rosewood era. I sold that guitar about 15 years ago - I just wasn't playing anymore and it was worth a good bit. I remember the sound of that guitar as well as I could ever remember the sound of something I haven't played or heard in 15+ years.

I had since owned a relatively low end Taylor Grand Auditorium and a Martin 000-15M and liked them both but neither reminded me in the least of that old D28. But when I got an X20 a few months ago, I was immediately struck by how much it reminded me of the sound of that D28. Not an exact match, but a striking similarity. And given how old my memory of the Martin was, MAYBE an exact match - I couldn't say for sure. But it absolutely stirred memories of that incredible guitar.

But I didn't really trust this reaction! It had been so long since I'd had the D28, I figured I might just be me rationalizing / justifying having bought the X20. Did it REALLY sound much like that D28, or did I just want to believe it did?

Well, reading and hearing both of your observations, it confirms that I wasn't off-base. You're getting more into the subtle differences, but the differences wouldn't be so subtle if there wasn't a strong underlying similarity. Which is certainly the most that I'd ever be able to come up with based on a 15 year old memory rather than a direct A-B comparison. In any case, interesting stuff and a nice confirmation that I WASN'T just BS'ing myself.

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 12-02-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

I have been gassing for a D35 for years. But, my fan fret X30 IMHO sound better than the D35's I've tried.
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 12-02-2018, 07:26 PM

I'm spending time with my X20 and X30 and slowly working up to doing a sound comparison with those two and the Martin. I find the X20 closer to the Martin, a more vibrant and distinct singing voice that works well for fingerpicking. I'm curious, myself, to see how the X20 and Martin sound side-by-side. I can't seem to get the humidity in my apartment stable enough to leave the wood guitars out for the day-to-day experiment. (But working on it!)
1972 Martin D-28
McPherson Sable
Breedlove Oregon Myrtlewood
Breedlove Masterclass
Taylor PS16ce Macassar
Old 12-03-2018, 03:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by byudzai View Post
I can't seem to get the humidity in my apartment stable enough to leave the wood guitars out for the day-to-day experiment. (But working on it!)
That right there ...ahhhh Carbon Fiber guitars...
Blackbird: Savoy
RainSong: CH-OM, CH-WS
Journey: OF660
McPherson: Touring(Honeycomb and gold), Sable
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber