The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-26-2019, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonics View Post
It's the pickups. Raw, aggressive and clear with a beautiful chime. It sounds like a contradiction...but it's TRUE!

Not a Guns And Roses fan, but that guy is a player and he gets some killer tone out of his Gretsch's!
Old 08-26-2019, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Suggestions:
FWIW with a couple easy DIY mods - better-quality tubes, an optional speaker upgrade (the current Turbosound speaker is actually quite good - think Celestion without the sometimes-abrasive upper-mids) - you'll perk up some ears (and furrow some brows) among owners of higher-priced boutique gear. If you anticipate playing bigger houses/outdoor gigs, need more headroom for cleaner styles, or prefer the tone of the 50-watt Fender/Ampeg workhorse amps of the early/mid-60's (or the current Hot Rod DeVille), the V55 1x12" may be all the amp you'll ever need for only $50 more than its 22-watt stablemate; any one of these is an excellent match for a Gretsch, BTW - their natural response curve seems to complement the characteristic chime and twang - and I'd strongly recommend checking out one or more of them before making a final (and likely far more expensive) decision...[/LIST]
Given the choice between a new V55 Infinium and a used Fender Hot Rod Deville 60W 2x12 at about the same cost, which way would you go?

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 08-26-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
Given the choice between a new V55 Infinium and a used Fender Hot Rod Deville 60W 2x12 at about the same cost, which way would you go?
Tough choice - comparable power, similar features, and I've played both; I'd say it narrows down to whether you prefer the sonic "spread" of a 2x12" cab, need the compactness of a 1x12" for smaller stages, prefer vintage versus modern cosmetics (the Bugera draws heavily from both Egnater and Bad Cat), or find the tone stack of one or the other is a better match for your instrument/style (I'm also a Gretsch player and while there are definite differences, I don't consider one "better" than the other). There is, however, a real advantage in the Bugera's Infinium circuitry - tube changes are a plug-&-play proposition, whereas a bias job (around $100 in my neck of the woods) is required when you change tubes in the DeVille - so if you plan to do some experimenting with tubes (FYI there are tonal differences between different makes/vintages that knowledgeable players use to good advantage) or just want to save a few bucks in the long run, the V55 might be a good choice...
Old 08-26-2019, 01:02 PM

Thanks! (I have to add stuff because the message was to short!)

2012 Martin HD-28V
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 08-27-2019, 11:38 PM

Quote:
T...the V55 might be a good choice...
Steve,

One more question: How does the V55 do as a relatively quiet practice amp?

I may be asking the impossible, but I'd like to buy one amp for both practice and playing out.

Thanks again.

2012 Martin HD-28V
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 08-28-2019, 06:38 AM

Quote:
...How does the V55 do as a relatively quiet practice amp? I may be asking the impossible, but I'd like to buy one amp for both practice and playing out...
If you've never played a tube amp, be advised that 55 watts is a lot of power - we're talking 1000+ seat halls and outdoor gigs here - and while it's true that the late Les Paul used to play small clubs with a 100W silverface Twin (I've seen him do it) he was using low-impedance/low-power pickups to achieve a super-clean tone; considering he's the guy who arguably invented modern electric guitar I'd give him a pass here. For us lesser mortals, IME the V22 should be all you need in a dual-purpose amp - the multiple gain/volume control points allow you to achieve a full tone at virtually any level, and the pentode/triode switch not only shifts the amp into a different power range but provides a whole different set of sonic possibilities (loosely speaking, think mid-60's Fender/Ampeg "American" versus pre-Top Boost Vox "British"); as I said above I not only use mine for general at-home practice but also for halls up to 600-700 people with no problem, clean or dirty as you wish. FYI GC had it on the floor a couple days ago fir $349 brand-new - the street price when I bought mine back in 2010 - so if you're serious this might be a good time to do the deal...
Old 08-28-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
FYI GC had it on the floor a couple days ago fir $349 brand-new - the street price when I bought mine back in 2010 - so if you're serious this might be a good time to do the deal...
I'm ordering a V22. GC has them mis-priced on the web page, so as soon as that is fixed they're calling me back so I can order it for $399 less 15%.

2012 Martin HD-28V
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 08-28-2019, 12:10 PM

Looking forward to your NAD review when it arrives...
Old 08-30-2019, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Looking forward to your NAD review when it arrives...
I just ordered it today from GC. Their price is $50 too high, but their sister company, Musician's Friend has it priced at $398 with a 15% discount on top. I expect it on Oct. 5.

I plan to play with some tube changes fairly soon, and I've read good things about the JJ EL84s. Thoughts?

2012 Martin HD-28V
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 08-30-2019, 06:30 AM

Quote:
...I plan to play with some tube changes fairly soon, and I've read good things about the JJ EL84s. Thoughts?
Here's the setup I've been using for the last eight years - never needed to change them, probably never will, and they're everything (and more) the reviews say they are:

https://www.thetubestore.com/bugera-v22-premium-package
Old 08-31-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Here's the setup I've been using for the last eight years - never needed to change them, probably never will, and they're everything (and more) the reviews say they are:

https://www.thetubestore.com/bugera-v22-premium-package
A little rich for my pocket book, but I just ordered a matched pair of JJ EL84s and a matched trio of JJ 12AX7s.

2012 Martin HD-28V
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars