The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-24-2020, 04:59 PM

My 50 cent in-case humidifier:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...attach/jpg.gif
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0365.jpg (25.7 KB, 426 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0361.jpg (31.1 KB, 423 views)

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E: Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Bedell Angelica Bellissima Parlor: Sunken Cedar/EIR
Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin: Sitka/Maple
Old 05-24-2020, 05:09 PM

Clear pick guard installation with material cut to whatever pattern you need. I even put it above the sound hole as I aggressively strum and wear down wood in both directions.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c9XKuourJs4
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------
Old 05-24-2020, 07:41 PM

I recycle old leather from shoes and belts for any number of tasks, especially to make protective strap button washers.

You won't find a better or cheaper straplock than a fiber reinforced rubber toilet tank bolt washer.

Prescription tablet/pill container: drill a decent sized hole in the lid, one in the bottom, insert rolled standard kitchen sponge and voila!, case humidifier.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:37 AM

Standard rubber washers from hardware store as strap locks. Similar to commercial washer locks produced by large guitar manufacturer, but usually about $1 for a pair used between strap and end of button of course. Have these on quite a few guitars and so far no fails.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:48 AM

I use plastic traveling tooth brush holder as a humidifier for guitars. Drill holes in plastic, cut sponge into strips big enough to fit inside, fishing string to tie at end and q-tip to run through strings to hold inside sound hole. I realize its not fancy, but it does very well.
1817 Ovation vintage
Old 05-25-2020, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Hi all

Under 1$ case humidifier

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-25-2020, 09:48 AM

bread bag locks for strap locks
Old 05-25-2020, 09:58 AM

For guitar case humidifiers I took some of the old cassette cases that I had and drill some holes in them and bought a bag kitchen sponges trimmed them to fit, they have lasted for the longest time.

The only other thing I can add is my wife calls me a guitar hack everytime I talk about buying another guitar.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-ville Brent View Post
Standard rubber washers from hardware store as strap locks. Similar to commercial washer locks produced by large guitar manufacturer, but usually about $1 for a pair used between strap and end of button of course. Have these on quite a few guitars and so far no fails.
I bought a bag of Grosch beer washers and it works great with my Les Paul. Joe Bonamassa uses that for his vintage Les Paul(s).
Old 05-26-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey Mark - that's amazing that you're using a pickup stick as a saddle. I'm surprised that it sounds so good ... must have been a great fit.
The reason it sounds so good, of course, is that he used a vintage pre-war Brazilian plastic pickup stick!!

whm
Old 05-26-2020, 03:49 PM

My most useful guitar/mandolin hack was shown to me by my longtime guitar repairman Robert Howard when he showed me how he used the smallest crochet hooks to get in and grab hold of tightly wrapped strings that are proving difficult to get off of tuner posts. “This is probably one of the most useful tools I have,” he told me as he showed me a really tiny hook.

My wife and I have been talking about this as I’ve been writing this post, and she said that after I’d asked her about crochet hooks and why I wanted some she went to Walmart and bought the smallest set available, for around $10. Since I hadn’t used any of them myself yet, I wasn’t sure what size was going to prove useful. So it was easiest to get a full set.

Now that I’ve been using them for five years or so, I can tell you that the two smallest ones are the only ones that I ever use. So you could save a couple of bucks and just get the two smallest. But if you can envision other uses for them, getting the set makes sense. Robert told me that he also sometimes used one or two of the slightly bigger ones for other tasks.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 05-27-2020, 04:01 PM

Great thread! Thanks.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

I took my collapsible music stand down to the laurel
that was blooming in the woods and used a piece of
romex to hold my ipad onto it securely. I have a
usb microphone and a three foot usb extension
cord, I tied my microphone onto a tomato stake
with a piece of twine and had this outdoors recording
studio...

-Mike
Old 06-01-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
My most useful guitar/mandolin hack was shown to me by my longtime guitar repairman Robert Howard when he showed me how he used the smallest crochet hooks to get in and grab hold of tightly wrapped strings that are proving difficult to get off of tuner posts. “This is probably one of the most useful tools I have,” he told me as he showed me a really tiny hook.

My wife and I have been talking about this as I’ve been writing this post, and she said that after I’d asked her about crochet hooks and why I wanted some she went to Walmart and bought the smallest set available, for around $10. Since I hadn’t used any of them myself yet, I wasn’t sure what size was going to prove useful. So it was easiest to get a full set.

Now that I’ve been using them for five years or so, I can tell you that the two smallest ones are the only ones that I ever use. So you could save a couple of bucks and just get the two smallest. But if you can envision other uses for them, getting the set makes sense. Robert told me that he also sometimes used one or two of the slightly bigger ones for other tasks.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Hi Wade, that sounds like a great 'hack'. Nothing worse than trying to remove a string only to stick yourself trying to get that last part unraveled from the tuner. I've used needle nose pliers for that before but not with much success.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:51 PM

I'm gonna follow up on Wade's hack! Great useful idea! My simple hack is to put a rubber band around the headstock to hold my flatpick when not using it. Cheap, too.

“We are all bozos on this bus."

1967 D-28 (still on warranty) / 1969 homemade Mastertone / 1977 OME Juggernaught / 2003 D-42 / 2006 HD-28V burst / 2010 Little Martin / 2012 Custom Shop HD-28V / 2014 Taylor 356ce 12 / 2016 Martin D-28 Authentic

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion