The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-02-2020, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
My most useful guitar/mandolin hack was shown to me by my longtime guitar repairman Robert Howard when he showed me how he used the smallest crochet hooks to get in and grab hold of tightly wrapped strings that are proving difficult to get off of tuner posts. “This is probably one of the most useful tools I have,” he told me as he showed me a really tiny hook.

My wife and I have been talking about this as I’ve been writing this post, and she said that after I’d asked her about crochet hooks and why I wanted some she went to Walmart and bought the smallest set available, for around $10. Since I hadn’t used any of them myself yet, I wasn’t sure what size was going to prove useful. So it was easiest to get a full set.

Now that I’ve been using them for five years or so, I can tell you that the two smallest ones are the only ones that I ever use. So you could save a couple of bucks and just get the two smallest. But if you can envision other uses for them, getting the set makes sense. Robert told me that he also sometimes used one or two of the slightly bigger ones for other tasks.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller

Thanks Wade!

I am going to use them.....do you have a pic of the right size? While I love my luthier more than life, the catch is he uses the “Martin string lock” method with a weird 2 and a 1/2 hitch thing to lock the string.....I can’t even understand how he actually does it.....must be a jewellery tool. Removing the thick strings is a comedy while the skinnies are disaster waiting to happen. I will buy a crochet hook!

My hack is for guitars that slip off your knee when playing while seated. In the past, my Nationals have been a culprit and a metal Dobro - halfway through a tune and we are losing everything. It is the same with my Taylor 717e with the Silent Satin Finish......whoops, straight off the leg and heading for floor, mic stand, music stand. My solution also comes from the haberdashery - a small roll of Velcro tape with adhesive backing. I cut a small strip and stick it right where my thigh contacts the guitar. Works! Some might be wary of the adhesive removing finish but I figure that is better than dropping the guitar... Some would say to just use a strap but it isn’t as good.

BluesKing777.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:44 AM

Score the edges on a $5-$8 set of feeler gauges with a file to make some nut files.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:50 AM

Quote:
My most useful guitar/mandolin hack was shown to me by my longtime guitar repairman Robert Howard when he showed me how he used the smallest crochet hooks to get in and grab hold of tightly wrapped strings that are proving difficult to get off of tuner posts. “This is probably one of the most useful tools I have,” he told me as he showed me a really tiny hook.

Now that I’ve been using them for five years or so, I can tell you that the two smallest ones are the only ones that I ever use. So you could save a couple of bucks and just get the two smallest. But if you can envision other uses for them, getting the set makes sense. Robert told me that he also sometimes used one or two of the slightly bigger ones for other tasks.

Wade Hampton Miller
I used these in my repair kit for clarinet and flute springs. If you file a slot in the end of one you can use it to push as well as pull.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 06-02-2020, 10:12 AM

Take a playing card (or I suppose a business card would work) and loosely weave it in and out of your strings. Makes for an instant sort of steel-drum like sound effect.

I used to do this to get the audience attention. They wonder what I'm about to do with the Ace of Clubs that I just dramatically produced and then use it to play "Lime and Coconut" - good for laughs.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Use a piece of .010" guitar string as a feeler gauge when checking relief.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
Take a playing card (or I suppose a business card would work) and loosely weave it in and out of your strings. Makes for an instant sort of steel-drum like sound effect.

I used to do this to get the audience attention. They wonder what I'm about to do with the Ace of Clubs that I just dramatically produced and then use it to play "Lime and Coconut" - good for laughs.
I believe Johnny Cash used to do that with a dollar bill.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 06-02-2020, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
bread bag locks for strap locks
I have a friend who uses them as flat picks. (they don't work very well, but he's not fussy). I have seen credit cars cut up and used as well. They work somewhat better - if you like them floppy.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:51 PM

jpg2 spoon.jpg

I use and old sliver spoon to gently pry up stubborn pins that won't come out even when pushed from the bottom by a hand inside the guitar.

Because of sliver's high value, spoons of real sterling silver are often very thin, and a thin tip will fit into tighter spaces ... as in the above pic.

My every day stainless steel spoons don't work on all my guitars because those spoons are too thick.

Some antique stores sell real sterling silver spoons for around 12 bucks.
The spoon in this pic weighs 1 ounce, and pure silver is now about $15 an ounce ... but sterling silver is only 92.5% silver.
Many silver spoons are very tiny, 3 or 4 inches long and much lighter, like those spoons with tourists destinations on them sold as souvenirs.

Last edited by Tico; 06-02-2020 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
bread bag locks for strap locks
I started using them recently. I snip the ends a little so that they clip on easier. Works great!
Old 06-02-2020, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
I have a friend who uses them as flat picks. (they don't work very well, but he's not fussy). I have seen credit cars cut up and used as well. They work somewhat better - if you like them floppy.
I paid cash for my cheapo car.
Can I still cut it up for picks?

Last edited by Tico; 06-02-2020 at 11:28 PM.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
I am going to use them.....do you have a pic of the right size? While I love my luthier more than life, the catch is he uses the “Martin string lock” method with a weird 2 and a 1/2 hitch thing to lock the string.....I can’t even understand how he actually does it.....must be a jewellery tool. Removing the thick strings is a comedy while the skinnies are disaster waiting to happen. I will buy a crochet hook!
BK, I don't have any photos of my own, and don't know for certain what size they are, but just look for an inexpensive set of the smallest ones you can find.

I did find this photo online, and it's actually more helpful than what I've written so far:

˙˙˙

Unlike my set, this one has the sizes labeled. Which is a nice touch.

Even so, I'd suggest you go look and see what your Walmart/local fabric or knit shops have on hand. Get the smallest.

Hope this helps a bit more.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-03-2020, 03:10 AM

Quote:
BK, I don't have any photos of my own, and don't know for certain what size they are, but just look for an inexpensive set of the smallest ones you can find.

I did find this photo online, and it's actually more helpful than what I've written so far:

˙˙˙

Unlike my set, this one has the sizes labeled. Which is a nice touch.

Even so, I'd suggest you go look and see what your Walmart/local fabric or knit shops have on hand. Get the smallest.

Hope this helps a bit more.

Wade Hampton Miller

Thanks Wade!

If it helps the deadly string impale, I will get a gold plated one!

BluesKing777.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion