The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-02-2020, 07:06 AM

I agree with the OP. A quarter-turn of the rod can be transformative, not only to the feel but also to the sound of the instrument.
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 06-02-2020, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
A twist of the truss rod is not a good substitute for a professional setup that gets a guitar to the place where it works best for the player.
True, thanks.

In over 45 years I’ve never adjusted a truss rod. It’s done far too much IMO.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 06-02-2020, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

I had a D-18 that I'd adjust the truss rod every spring and fall after the seasonal humidity changed. I adjusted it a touch one way and then back. It was pretty consistent.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 06-02-2020, 07:21 AM

I suppose I should have said in the OP that folks should know how to do it PROPERLY, not just go and start turning blindly. I figured that was implied, but I guess not. IMHO, this requires a straight edge of some sort and feeler gauges.

We all know a truss rod adjustment is not a substitute for a setup. But on my guitars, often times a quarter to half a turn gets me where I need to be. My general rule of thumb is if it takes more than that, it's time for a setup.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:30 AM

I think every guitar player should allow for the price of a setup when they shop for a guitar. Play the guitar for the person doing the setup (I'm lucky enough to live 30 minutes from a luthier) and discuss what you'd like to feel and hear.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 06-02-2020, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

My dad was a mechanic (who had a pretty lucrative day job) who spent almost every weekend helping people who thought they knew what they were doing, undoing their DIY car and truck "adjustments". Sometimes he would spend several hours fixing and readjusting timing or carburetor issues, only to have the car's owner readjust them later. When the owner realized they'd put their foot in it- again, they'd return the next weekend. While he was very patient, there were people he would no longer answer the door to after a while.

There's a reason why people train years in various trades.

That said, I have bought instruments that had had amateur set ups, pickup installations, and I have to say, it's frustrating to have to deal with jammed truss rods, chipped finishes on the butt of guitars where someone thought they were skilled enough to ream the endpin hole to install a jack plug, and a variety of finish issues due to someone using a hair dryer to remove a pickguard. I have seen some real travesties.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:33 AM

I think everyone should know how to adjust a truss rod. However, I think it should come as a part of basic knowledge, including making a new saddle, cutting a new nut, and proper measurements down the fretboard. I leave fret leveling out since it is so infrequently needed as a maintenance item.

I will say that this is NOT rocket science, however. Go slow, learn to use the tools, and get a good book on guitar repair and setup. We all ask questions on here and get help when we need it, but anyone can learn to do it if they want to learn.

(Disclaimer: Your mileage may vary. It is your choice on what you do to your guitar. If there is any doubt, consult an expert.)
Old 06-02-2020, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
It's a skill easily mastered and will save you a boatload over the years on unnecessary setups.
Every once in a while someone will come into my shop saying they need a set up when really all they have is too much relief in the neck. So I tweak the truss rod and send them on thier way, no charge. So I don't think it's going to safe ya too much money in the end

99% of the time they do need more then just a tweak though.

A more important thing than, everyone would know how to adjust a truss rod, might be instead, everyone whould know why they need to adjust the truss rod.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Every once in a while someone will come into my shop saying they need a set up when really all they have is too much relief in the neck. So I tweak the truss rod and send them on thier way, no charge. So I don't think it's going to safe ya too much money in the end

99% of the time they do need more then just a tweak though.

A more important thing than, everyone would know how to adjust a truss rod, might be instead, everyone whould know why they need to adjust the truss rod.
That's might cool of you sir and I'm sure your customers appreciate it. The shop I interned at didn't do that. I can't tell you how many guitars came through where folks paid for a setup and got a string change and a truss rod adjustment. Of course everything else was checked, sometimes little things, polishing the nut slots, etc, were done. They weren't trying to cheat anybody, it was just what was necessary to get the guitar to play to the shop specs. Granted some would come in and require some surgery - filing and reseating frets, etc, and the charge would be the same.

I agree with you, however, that adjusting a truss rod requires one to know why it needs to be adjusted.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:41 AM

Back when I regularly went to guitar camps, I would see many guitars there with way too much relief and people complained about how hard they were to play by day two or three. So I often offered to adjust the truss rod for a fellow camper. That often made them happy, but I always made it clear that it was not a substitute for a proper setup (which I only do on my guitars).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
I agree with you, however, that adjusting a truss rod requires one to know why it needs to be adjusted.
Well said.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:27 AM

tie your own shoes?
Old 06-02-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I thought you were going to say, "change your own strings". I have been in stores several times where people come in and pay to have their strings changed??

My first thought
I know many players that would never change their own strings

Weird Man
Seagull s 12
Ovation 1517 s
Old 06-02-2020, 10:23 AM

I think it is important to understand the total care and maintenance that is associated with an acoustic guitar. I can't tell you how many people I have encountered that don't understand the effects of relative humidity can have on a acoustic guitar.

Now, there are some folks who live in areas where this is not so much of an issue, but others do not, the more lighter built instruments are more susceptible to these changes in R/H and understanding what these changes are will help you in preserving the life and health of your instrument.

Attempting to make adjustments to a guitar that is not at the proper humidity is just asking for trouble down the road IMO I am a firm believer in having a good setup done but step one in this process is making sure the guitar is at proper humidity.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
True, thanks.

In over 45 years I’ve never adjusted a truss rod. It’s done far too much IMO.
I have found that some of my guitars change with the seasons. I tend to do a 1/8th adjustment in late spring early summer, and another (opposite way) in Late autumn.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
Anyone have any good books to recommend on the topic that wouldn’t get one into too much trouble?
"The Guitar Player Repair Guide" is a good place to start. Also, "The Acoustic Guitar: Adjustment, Care, Maintenance, and Repair" is another good choice. New and used copies are available through Amazon.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion