The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-02-2020, 04:52 AM

Default Violinist now picking up Guitar - Question

I've played violin for the last 30 years and have always wanted to learn guitar. Finally decided to and I'm looking at some acoustics. I'm really leaning towards a Taylor GS Mini-E Koa at this point and wanted to get some opinions. I'm planning on mainly learning folk with some classical (might get a classical guitar before too long).

Would the Taylor GS Mii-E Koa be a good versatile guitar for learning a wider range of music styles? Is there a better recommended one in this same price range? Think anything from CCR, Allison Krauss, Billy Joel to Bach and anywhere in between. Recommended strings for this particular instrument and would I be better off with light or medium tension strings? So far, I love the darker tones to this particular guitar and definitely want to keep that while preserving a beautiful bright, crisp tone on the uppers.

Thank you!!
Old 06-02-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilHobbit View Post
Think anything from CCR, Allison Krauss, Billy Joel to Bach and anywhere in between.
Interesting. Alison Krauss plays the violin, Billy Joel plays the piano, and Bach played the violin, cello and oboe. Those aspirations don't point to a GS Mini.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:04 AM

Welcome,

Unless there is a specific reason you are looking at a travel sized, is look for Taylor academy full size, Martin MX series, or even a used Taylor 100-300 if you look around.

Best of luck. It’s a fun journey, just get one that seems to play well for you.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:13 AM

If your thinking rhythm to those songs Id go with a Taylor 000 Academy. The model # is A12. Im not a Taylor fan but the one I bought for the specs turned out to have a very nice, non Taylor sound. The arm bevel makes for a comfortable experience. The Mini's get a lot of love but I didnt love em sound wise. The xtra short scale makes fretting easy though. A short term solution IMO. If you like em get one cause having something a person likes is 1/2 the battle of learning.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:38 AM

I was in the opposite situation as you - I had played the guitar for years, then decided to learn the violin as an adult. You should have a leg up since you can read music, are familiar with concepts like tuning, shifting, etc.

I echo the other folks who recommend a "full size" guitar over the GS Mini. I happen to own a Mini, and while I like it for throwing in the car or casual strumming on the couch, it has some limitations. Taylors in general are known for their playability which can really help a beginner, so some of the models people are recommending are worth a look. I will say that if you plan to play mostly sitting down, you may want to stay away from the Dreadnaught style guitars, as they are a bit bigger around the middle that some of the other styles. You can start out on light gauge strings to make it easier to learn and can always switch to mediums later on. If you stick with one of the major brands like Taylor or Martin that will make it easier to sell down the road if you decide you would like a different guitar. If you do move toward Classical I would think you almost certainly would want to get an actual classical instrument since they are quite different (wider flatter fingerboard, wider string spacing, nylon strings, etc.)
Old 06-02-2020, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

I went from violin to guitar. One thing you should be aware of is that the fingertip calluses you get from a steel-string guitar are not optimal for violin playing. I end up playing guitar for a while and then violin for a while. Nylon strings as on a classical guitar do make it easier to go back and forth. In my case I simply prefer a steel-string guitar so that path is closed by choice.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

If you like the Taylor GS Mii-E Koa because of the looks, that's a good place to begin. They come set up w/ medium strings which I wouldn't recommend for a beginner, I would suggest changing the strings to a light gauge to help w/ playability. A good set up goes a long way.

And sure, the music and style you mention would work fine on the Taylor GS Mii-E Koa.

Quote:
I've played violin for the last 30 years and have always wanted to learn guitar. Finally decided to and I'm looking at some acoustics. I'm really leaning towards a Taylor GS Mini-E Koa at this point and wanted to get some opinions. I'm planning on mainly learning folk with some classical (might get a classical guitar before too long).

Would the Taylor GS Mii-E Koa be a good versatile guitar for learning a wider range of music styles? Is there a better recommended one in this same price range? Think anything from CCR, Allison Krauss, Billy Joel to Bach and anywhere in between. Recommended strings for this particular instrument and would I be better off with light or medium tension strings? So far, I love the darker tones to this particular guitar and definitely want to keep that while preserving a beautiful bright, crisp tone on the uppers.

Thank you!!
Old 06-02-2020, 10:15 AM

I think you might get frustrated with the nut width and scale on that gs mini. Itd be awful tight to try to play Bach on. Look for something with a 1 3/4" nut.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:15 PM

Taylor Academy 12, as good as most guitars, easy to play, good resale. They also make a 12n which has nylon strings. Rick
Old 06-02-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:

Thank you!!
The GS Mini is a small scale travel toy. If this is going to be your daily driver get a real guitar with a common scale. The last thing you want is to learn on a short scale instrument. You are going to miss out on gobs of tone, sustain and muscle conditioning that you are never going to get on a travel guitar.

GS Mini ships with Elixr p/b 13s(mediums) coated strings.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

Going by a couple clues, first the OP's handle, "LilHobbit" and the fact that the OP is a violinist,...

.. I'd submit that a short scale guitar wouldn't be an issue and maybe a benefit as a starter guitar. Someone who's use to fingering a violin shouldn't have an issue w/ a Mini GS w/ it's slightly narrower nut than some of us prefer.

And the OP talks about a classical at some point w/ a wider nut.

My preference in that price range is a Martin D Jr,.. but if the OP is drawn to the Mini GS for the price, looks (I assume) and sound,... and maybe size.

BTW the Mini GS is a real guitar, not a toy. But it is an entry level instrument. Lot's of advanced players own one, so it's a well enjoyed guitar for players at various levels.

Last edited by stephenT; 06-02-2020 at 05:08 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion