The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-01-2020, 11:45 AM

Default Contacting Stew Mac?

Hoping someone might be able to help me out with a little info.

I placed an order with Stew Mac, and while doing so, I had to correct my order in the cart...which led to the conclusion of the order not being placed, but the billing going thru immediately.

Since the phones are not manned during the pandemic, the only way to contact them is email. I don't expect an immediate response, and their site says due to the Covid situation, things are taking longer...

Has anyone here had email experience with them lately, and could give me some idea of what to expect?

I think the combination of having a problem that could be remedied with a 2 minute phone call, and being billed immediately while their site shows that I haven't placed an order in over 30 days, may be making me a bit irritable...

Any advice is appreciated...
Old 06-01-2020, 11:54 AM

Send them an email to document the situation, and give them some time to respond. Maybe leave a message in parallel t cover all your bases, even if they are not returning calls in a timely manner right now. Hiccups happen with on-line buying, but Stew-Mac is a good company. Worst case you can always dispute the charge with your credit card. Be patient....
Old 06-01-2020, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
Hoping someone might be able to help me out with a little info.

I placed an order with Stew Mac, and while doing so, I had to correct my order in the cart...which led to the conclusion of the order not being placed, but the billing going thru immediately.

Since the phones are not manned during the pandemic, the only way to contact them is email. I don't expect an immediate response, and their site says due to the Covid situation, things are taking longer...

Has anyone here had email experience with them lately, and could give me some idea of what to expect?

I think the combination of having a problem that could be remedied with a 2 minute phone call, and being billed immediately while their site shows that I haven't placed an order in over 30 days, may be making me a bit irritable...

Any advice is appreciated...
Sorry that happened. Sounds frustrating. Yes I have had an email contact with them recently. I complained to them about a 15% discount that wasn't given on an order I was about to make. I had gotten an email from them saying the discount would be "automatic" but it wasn't. I didn't go through with my order but I sent an email. They responded in a few days.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
Sorry that happened. Sounds frustrating. Yes I have had an email contact with them recently. I complained to them about a 15% discount that wasn't given on an order I was about to make. I had gotten an email from them saying the discount would be "automatic" but it wasn't. I didn't go through with my order but I sent an email. They responded in a few days.
Thanks, Blueser..that's was what I wondering, whether I should expect a prompt reply, or if it would take a few days...

I've done business with them a long time, and I'm not worried about getting stiffed...it's just frustrating when business communication is at a snail's pace..

That, and I'm just not a fan of the bill going out when the order is still sitting in the cart...

We'll see...
Old 06-01-2020, 01:01 PM

I dont see any reason that Covid should have changed anything. I mean they arent a walk in store. It seems more like any EXCUSE to cut down on expenses by cutting down on staff.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
I dont see any reason that Covid should have changed anything. I mean they arent a walk in store. It seems more like any EXCUSE to cut down on expenses by cutting down on staff.
That's a little harsh.

Ever think that they might have local restrictions on how many people can be on their premises right now? Or that people on their staff might actually be directly affected by the pandemic?
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 06-01-2020, 01:41 PM

I actually tried to contact them last Thursday about a specific electric guitar bridge and they have yet to get back to me. I've been doing business with SM for at least 25 years now and they are probably the best customer service business of anything I've ever had to deal with. I have no doubt they are having difficult times right now. Typically they get back by the end of the day.

So anyway yeah, things are slow going right now. I'm just trying to be patient which I find easier to do given what I just stated..
Old 06-01-2020, 01:48 PM

Contact your credit card company and contest/overturn the charge. Let Stewmac call you. If they do ship the order eventually, send it back.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:11 PM

How big of an order are we talking about here? $10? $100? $1000?

If it's a small amount, give them some time. If it's a lot of money, then yeah, you wouldn't be unreasonable to chase it more aggressively.

I posted a similar Why-haven't-they-responded thread about a string company, and got roasted alive in the replies with about 40 different varieties of "Don't you know there's a pandemic?" Having learned from that experience, I'd say cut them some slack.

Chargebacks, as I saw someone suggest, are a nuclear option, to be used as a last resort, but you have at least 60 days before the clock runs out on that.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

stewmac is one of the great places that has customer service in the top rung.
email them, I think they suggest that on the site. I needed some info and got a return in 2 days, I'm fine with that, everything has slowed due to everything that is happening. they will take care of you in the end no matter what. stewmac rocks

d
Old 06-01-2020, 10:09 PM
Charter Member

About two weeks ago, I got an email replay from them to my order question in about a day.

I kinda had the same thing with my cart, I tried to add something to it and messed it up. The order went thru but I couldn't see the order right afterwards when I went to my 'Account' page. It did show up on my 'Account' page the next day so. This was only my second or third order with them and I could be missing something but I didn't see the ability to cancel an order that has been placed, even for something that is on backorder.

Rob
Old 06-01-2020, 11:08 PM

I asked them a non urgent question via email a few weeks ago, and it took over a week to get a response.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:52 AM

I live in the county just north of Stew Mac. We have had some restrictions in Ohio, but things are opening up. I'm not aware of any additional restrictions in that county. Lived a few blocks away from them during some of the 80's, it is all mail order - seems I dropped off an order in person once - pre internet days, but it was delivered as was the usual practice.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

I asked them a question about locking tuners and they got back to me in a couple of days.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 06-02-2020, 08:23 PM

I sent them an email two weeks ago about a shipment made on April 20 of a purchase that I have not yet received. I never got an answer from them. No luck either on a second email last week. Radio silence from them. I want to be patient and understanding, but not answering emails is not a sign of very good customer service, Covid-19 or not. I am rather disappointed by them.
The Loar LH-700 VS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion