The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-19-2020, 10:55 AM

Dont forget to look at both Furch, Boucher, and Larrivee.. Excellent guitar for the money.
Old 11-19-2020, 10:59 AM

Another vote for the J-45. Just do it.
Old 11-19-2020, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillis View Post
I would go with quality gently used guitar until you figure out what will ultimately be the right combo of size,shape,nut width?etc.
Yes.

Also because if you find yourself wanting something different, you won't take a financial hit - as you'll often resell a used guitar for about what you paid for it.
Old 11-19-2020, 11:51 AM

If you can swing the J45, and you like how it plays and sounds, just do it and be done with it.

Chasing a starter guitar and then upgrading is just too tedious. Do it once. sounds like your committed to playing, and it will hold it's value if you decide it aint for you later.
Old 11-19-2020, 11:54 AM

As one who plays acoustic and electric frequently and interchangeably I'll buck the AGF party line and recommend going with the Taylor AD27 (I'm a hog-top guy myself) - IME if you intend to stay with both instruments and develop the requisite (and very different) skill sets simultaneously, it'll make the transition that much easier...
Old 11-19-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameOver View Post
.....do I pull the reins and take a seat back with a more intro guitar?
Man, that's a good question. Problem is, at this point, you do not know what you like! It is likely you will be quite pleased with the Gibson J-45. When I started playing acoustics, that was always my dream guitar, but at my playing level I couldn't really justify the expense. I did eventually get a J-45, but the one I got wasn't really that great, and I sold it pretty quickly.

I started with a used non-cutaway Epiphone Masterbilt from their 2003-2010 production run. Excellent condition, $450. I was quite happy with that, to the point where I picked up three more, lol, but that's a different story.

After a few years, I started selling the Masterbilts to fund a more expensive guitar. (The remaining Epiphones I've got aren't really worth much and aren't worth selling.) Even though the Epiphones were really well built, there is a difference in tone and overall quality. (And I got into 12-strings, where Guild is pretty much top of the line.) As for 6-strings, I lucked into a great deal on my Guild jumbo F50R. Spectacular guitar. I'm no longer looking for a 'better' 6-string, and that's the only one I need.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 11-19-2020, 12:21 PM

Ultimately it doesn't matter much as long as you have the spare coin, so don't stress too much as you have all good choices in front of you.

For myself I would recommend a really nice looking used guitar that feels good to play. I went through a few guitars before I figured out what made me happy. As long as you start with a nice used guitar of any price you can't lose too much money if you decide to trade it down the road.

For my playing a J-45 is not a great choice, but obviously a lot of people like them. A brand name guitar is easier to trade down the road.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 11-19-2020, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

Whoa! Lets cool things down a bit. The OP has been learning guitar (electric) for 10 months and wants to buy an acoustic. They have had a look around and like some very expensive guitars but is not sure if they should be spending that sort of money at this stage (i.e. for a very first acoustic guitar having had very limited playing experience or general music experience). And folks are jumping in saying “buy the Gibson J-45”. Come on, what’s going on here? Are you saying that everybody should go out and buy a new Gibson J45 as there's no point in buying anything else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
I think the best advice to OP will be from someone we haven't heard from: OP's instructor. Lots of comment here from folks who don't know OP and OP doesn't know them. We're all strangers to each other.
GameOver - ask your instructor what acoustic guitar they think will suit you. I could put money on the fact that "Buy a Gibson J45" will not be the first thing that they will say!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 11-19-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Whoa! Lets cool things down a bit. The OP has been learning guitar (electric) for 10 months and wants to buy an acoustic. They have had a look around and like some very expensive guitars but is not sure if they should be spending that sort of money at this stage (i.e. for a very first acoustic guitar having had very limited playing experience or general music experience). And folks are jumping in saying “buy the Gibson J-45”. Come on, what’s going on here? Are you saying that everybody should go out and buy a new Gibson J45 as there's no point in buying anything else?

GameOver - ask your instructor what acoustic guitar they think will suit you. I could put money on the fact that "Buy a Gibson J45" will not be the first thing that they will say!
it's used j45!
Old 11-19-2020, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

There is no good reason not to buy a very good guitar. Once you have put some time in with something like a J 45, then played some other equally good guitars, you can have a reference point as to your own taste. It could be you like a J 45, or it could be a D 28 that is more your thing. The more you like your guitar, the more you'll play it.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 11-19-2020, 02:02 PM

If you can afford a really nice guitar (like a J-45), and you have some confidence that you will continue playing for a while, buy a nice guitar. If you can’t afford a really nice one, or are really unsure about your commitment to learning and playing, buy an entry level guitar...it will be good enough.

If you make a wrong guess, and buy a really nice guitar and 4 months from now you give up guitar forever, if you buy used, you can probably sell your really nice guitar for a small loss in 6-12 months....the price of some really fine restaurant meals, or a couple of weekends of skiiing, or few concert tickets. If you guess correctly, you have a guitar that will give you greater pleasure and will encourage more playing and growth as a musician, and you can enjoy it for many years.
Old 11-19-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Come on, what’s going on here? Are you saying that everybody should go out and buy a new Gibson J45 as there's no point in buying anything else?
No, Robin. You don't have to buy a J-45. Just the OP.
Old 11-19-2020, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

I don't understand this myth that one does not "deserve' an expensive guitar being an entry player.

Go for the best guitar you can comfortably afford.

Enjoy the hobby!
Old 11-19-2020, 07:29 PM

As much as you can, try to focus on the quality of the sound, and the overall feel of the instrument. Only you can decide how much of your money that experience is worth.
Old 11-20-2020, 12:02 AM

Buy the J-45. If your instructor disagrees, tell him you aren’t buying it for him.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion