The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-17-2020, 12:43 PM

I picked up 2 small and 2 larger. How do you program the guitar model names to the app? I'm not very tech saavy maybe need grand daughters help.
Old 11-17-2020, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilusaco View Post
I picked up 2 small and 2 larger. How do you program the guitar model names to the app? I'm not very tech saavy maybe need grand daughters help.
When you pair the units with Bluetooth on your phone (or tablet if that’s what you’re using), it will recognise and display the device type and serial no. You can over-type that with whatever name you want to give it - the guitar’s name, whatever.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 11-17-2020, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
When you pair the units with Bluetooth on your phone (or tablet if that’s what you’re using), it will recognise and display the device type and serial no. You can over-type that with whatever name you want to give it - the guitar’s name, whatever.
And if you already paired them and didn't do it then, you can change the name of any sensor at any point by clicking on the sensor in the app, then once it's data comes up, clicking on the little "wheel" icon in the upper right. That brings up the device settings for that sensor and the first line is the name, which you can then edit. You can also set upper and lower limits for both temp and humidity (or either) and calibrate the sensor on this screen.

I'm glad everyone is having good luck with these. I added a couple of larger sensors with displays (2.5" x 3") and now have two of those larger ones, two smaller square ones (2" x 2"), one larger oval style display in my guitar cabinet, and the little sensor with no display in my guitar case. I'm good with these.

-Ray
Old 11-17-2020, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Default Question

What are everyone's feelings on leaving guitars in their cases vs hanging them in a proper display case and using good hygrometers to monitor.

Thanks.

daniel
Old 11-17-2020, 03:35 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstring View Post
What are everyone's feelings on leaving guitars in their cases vs hanging them in a proper display case and using good hygrometers to monitor.

Thanks.

daniel
As long as your guitars are safe from sudden changes in temp and RH (and you know that because you monitor the environment with a hygrometer) it doesn’t matter where you keep them.

FOR SALE: 2023 Martin 000-15SM 12 fret w/ K&K mini

Old 11-17-2020, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstring View Post

Thanks.

daniel
It's more or less the same thing if both are reasonably able to maintain a steady humidity level. I have one nice acoustic and I keep it in a display case at home about 8-9 months per year. It's right at my playing area, so it's almost as handy as just hanging it on a wall hook - I have to open and close and latch the cabinet when I take it out / put it back, but it's considerably quicker than getting a case out, opening it, getting the guitar out and putting it back in, arranging the humidipaks each time, closing and latching it, and putting it away. With the display case, the humidipaks just sit at the bottom of the case and keep the case humidified, but I don't have to move them except to change them very occasionally.

We spend 3-4 months each winter down south near our daughter and stay in a place we rent. No display cabinet there, obviously, so when the humidity dictates, I leave the acoustic in the case with humidipaks. But I generally leave the case laying on a bed or table, so it saves time relative to getting the case in and our of a rack or closet each time I want to play. And when humidity allows, I just keep the guitar on a rack during the day, where it's that much easier to just grab.

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 11-18-2020 at 08:40 AM.
Old 11-17-2020, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

Default Govee and guitar locations

I have 5 hanging on the wall in my office/practice room. I like to keep them out to make it easier to grab and practice. I recently upgraded my furnace, A/C and whole house humidifier. I can keep about 35% RH during the winter with the whole house unit and have a room humidifier which I use to keep the room around 45% +/-. The A/C helps get the house in the 40-50% range in the summer. I have a dehumidifier in the room for summer months if the RH gets too high. When I travel for business they go back in their cases with the Govees and 49% humidipaks.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:23 AM

Thanks raysaches I had already paired. Got them set now. As far as where to keep your guitars I've always told my grand daughter a nice guitar is like a new born baby it belongs in 1 of 2 places. In it's crib or in your arms. With these new blue tooth hygrometers I'll know my babies are comfortable with out looking.
Old 11-20-2020, 02:21 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Mine arrived today. Two for the cases. One for the room. Setup was a breeze. So far very impressed. The units’ readings are all perfectly in sync with each other. Also virtually an exact match of the readings from my old Oasis hygrometers (which I know are accurate). Love the convenience of checking case conditions on my phone. Seems to be a great, relatively inexpensive product. Thanks again for the heads up, Ray!

Last edited by Rev Roy; 11-21-2020 at 07:31 AM.
Old 11-20-2020, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Great info. I purchased a Govee wifi water alarm system after some recent water in my basement. I'll have to look at this as something to use with their app.
Old 11-20-2020, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

I recently got a Govee bluetooth sensor to compare to my Sensorpush. It doesn't seem like the Govee is quite so sensitive. Here they are compared to one another. They're in the same case pocket.

Old 11-20-2020, 06:29 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Thanks for the comparison. Looks like there’s a bit of a variance. But given the substantial price difference, the Govees are close enough for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I recently got a Govee bluetooth sensor to compare to my Sensorpush. It doesn't seem like the Govee is quite so sensitive. Here they are compared to one another. They're in the same case pocket.

Old 11-21-2020, 05:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Mine arrived today. Two for the cases. One for the room. Setup was a breeze. So far very impressed. The units’ readings are all perfectly in sync with each other. Also virtually an exact match of the readings from my old Oasis hygrometers (which I know are accurate). Love the convenience of checking case conditions on my phone. Only slight disappointment is that you can only set for warnings when the humidity is too high. For me - and I suspect most of us - I’d prefer to be warned when the humidity dips too low. That’s a much more likely threat in my environment.

Still, seems to be a great, relatively inexpensive product. Thanks again for the heads up, Ray!

You can set both high and low alarms. On the settings screen for each device you can set it like this:

unnamed by Ray, on Flickr

And then it looks like this on the main display:

Old 11-21-2020, 06:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post

So the Govee shows roughly a 2% variation and the Sensor Push a 3% variation. Also slightly different levels. Did you calibrate both of them? No way to know which is more accurate, I guess... But either would do for my purposes. I calibrated one of mine using the Boveda calibration kit, placed all of them immediately adjacent to each other in a small space on my desk, and let them all settle. They were all within a few 10ths of a percent and I calibrated them so they were all identical to the one I'd calibrated in the Boveda kit. Then I put them each in their own spots, where the readings are different. Then a day later, put them all in the same spot on my desk again, and they all read within .1 percent of each other. Close enough for guitars!

-Ray
Old 11-21-2020, 06:20 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Thanks, Ray! Got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
You can set both high and low alarms. On the settings screen for each device you can set it like this:

And then it looks like this on the main display:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion