The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-25-2019, 05:32 PM

Default Opinion on finger ache

Thought I would ask some of you veterans this questions:

I play Martin 1 3/4 nut guitar with 13s in standard tuning. I am 56 and have smaller hands. Lately my fingers are beginning to ache—- not so much ache on my Yamaha 1 11/16 with 11s. So, before I go switching anything I thought I would ask for an opinion.

Wider neck, heavy strings, or smaller hands reaching on wider neck? I thought arthritis but I don’t get pain doing anything else...typing, etc. the pain seems to ease up if I switch over to Yamaha with smaller neck and lighter strings.

Anyone experienced this ?

Thanks jed
Old 09-25-2019, 05:48 PM

I'm assuming your Martin set-up is good?
You obviously can't make your hands bigger and making the guitar neck thinner seems a bit over the top but you can try some different strings.

Start with .012's see how they sound and feel.

Then there's soft feel strings like Thomastik-Infeld Plectrums and Martin/D'Addario/John Pearse/La Bella Silk & Steel strings.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 09-25-2019, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Yes. I also tend to get pain with 13s on a 1 3/4”. I might suggest dropping to 12s on your 1 3/4” and see if that changes anything. Also, a good set up can make a world of difference.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I'm assuming your Martin set-up is good?
You obviously can't make your hands bigger and making the guitar neck thinner seems a bit over the top but you can try some different strings.

Start with .012's see how they sound and feel.

Then there's soft feel strings like Thomastik-Infeld Plectrums and Martin/D'Addario/John Pearse/La Bella Silk & Steel strings.
The Martin is set up good. Maybe a tad higher than the Yamaha. The Yamaha is just easier to play for some reason but the Martin sounds better and louder. Cost more too LOL. I thinking the standard tuning with 13s may be causing some of it. Thanks
Old 09-25-2019, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

If I play for long durations at one time I'll develop some finger pain in my fretting hand. I also play mostly Martin dreads with 13's and 1 3/4" nuts. My guess would be some combination of the stiffer 13's and the somewhat higher action on the Martin. Like others have said...try some 12's on the Martin and that in itself should bring the action down a touch. A truss rod adjustment may be needed as well? Let us know how you make out...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 09-25-2019, 06:15 PM

Put on lighter strings and see how that feels. It may be a cheap fix is all you need. I'd use 11's and then you can compare to your Yamaha and will know if it is the guitar or the strings. My bet, like others here, is that it is the strings.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 09-25-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
If I play for long durations at one time I'll develop some finger pain in my fretting hand. I also play mostly Martin dreads with 13's and 1 3/4" nuts. My guess would be some combination of the stiffer 13's and the somewhat higher action on the Martin. Like others have said...try some 12's on the Martin and that in itself should bring the action down a touch. A truss rod adjustment may be needed as well? Let us know how you make out...
Thanks. Interesting. I’m thinking here but how does lighter strings bring down action? Totally believe you — just want to learn something. I would think a wider string would have lower action. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-25-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
Put on lighter strings and see how that feels. It may be a cheap fix is all you need. I'd use 11's and then you can compare to your Yamaha and will know if it is the guitar or the strings. My bet, like others here, is that it is the strings.
Yep. Good idea.
Old 09-25-2019, 06:33 PM

It sounds like you described my problem explicitly, except that I'm age 65. I can't play a 1 3/4" nut without developing pain at some point, and the heavier the strings, the less time it takes for pain to develop. With a 1 11/16" nut and light strings, I can play for hours without pain.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:06 PM

Lighter strings don't literally bring the physical action height down. But they are more pliable, so it takes less effort to press them to the frets.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed1894 View Post
Thanks. Interesting. I’m thinking here but how does lighter strings bring down action? Totally believe you — just want to learn something. I would think a wider string would have lower action. Thanks in advance.
Well on average a set of light gauge strings (.012) will have somewhere around 20 pounds less pull for the set of six than a similar set of medium (.013) gauge strings as per the D'Addario specs. A little less tension against the truss rod might allow for the neck to straighten just a touch thereby reducing the amount of relief. It is minimal but I've experienced it on one or more of my guitars. That's why I mentioned a minor truss rod adjustment may be in order but not necessarily?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 09-25-2019, 07:25 PM
Guitar Gourmet

A refret to taller frets might help. Taller frets require you ease off fret pressure or you will pull the strings sharp.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-25-2019, 07:48 PM

Some good tips above. You're 56. You might want to run this by your physician your next time in.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
It sounds like you described my problem explicitly, except that I'm age 65. I can't play a 1 3/4" nut without developing pain at some point, and the heavier the strings, the less time it takes for pain to develop. With a 1 11/16" nut and light strings, I can play for hours without pain.

Dang. Exactly... amazing that little bit more causes this. Thanks
Old 09-25-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpguitar View Post
Lighter strings don't literally bring the physical action height down. But they are more pliable, so it takes less effort to press them to the frets.

Got it... makes perfect sense

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion