The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-20-2020, 07:17 AM

I find I play better and enjoy it more on a nicer guitar, so that's an argument to get the best you can afford.

The counter argument is that if you are new at it, it is reasonable to expect your tastes and need will evolve.

The middle ground is to get something used that is better than what you might otherwise get so if you do change in your wants, you have a better chance of not losing money. Sometimes the fear of losing money keeps some folks from getting what they (now) want.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 11-20-2020, 02:03 PM

When I started acoustic guitar 44 years ago I bought what I could afford. If I could have afforded more I would have bought a nicer guitar then.

About 13 years ago I got into mandolin and didn't know anything about them. I bought a new Chinese built Ibanez which to be honest wasn't very good. I decided to play octave mandolin as well, and bought a Chinese built Michael Kelly Octave Plus.

As I learned and grew into a decent player I realized these both were way below the build quality, tone and playability that I needed. I started buying custom built instruments from small (one man shop) US builders. I was blown away at how much better they were. I sold my Ibanez to a friend for less than half of what it cost new. I've attempted to sell the MK OM for almost three hundred less than I paid and got no bites. To move it along I'll have to drop to about half its original price.

So my advice is buy the best instrument for whatever your budget is. Beginner instruments can be very disappointing. You can get a great deal on a gently used guitar - this past March I bought a very lightly used Martin HD-28 for nearly half of the list price of a new one.

An important edit item: please note I am NOT disparaging all Chinese instruments. I have a Chinese built Eastman archtop that sounds and plays beautifully. I also recently bought a Gold Tone Paul Beard roundneck resonator guitar that I really like.
So don't overlook Eastman, Gold Tone, Blueridge etc. guitars as you search.

Last edited by Mandobart; 11-20-2020 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-20-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargabor View Post
I don't understand this myth that one does not "deserve' an expensive guitar being an entry player.

Go for the best guitar you can comfortably afford.

Enjoy the hobby!
I'm not sure that "deserve" is the best word for it, but I certainly understand the thinking. I began learning about 7 months ago. Ordered $100 acoustic from GC online (couldn't go see it in person because of the pandemic).

My plan is to treat myself to a nicer guitar when I feel like I've earned with where my playing ability is. I could easily afford a very expensive guitar today, but I would feel like a jerk if I had a Hummingbird or Martin or J45 (or whatever) and couldn't play it worth a ****. But that's just my opinion =).

I think there is also value in getting something cheaper to start which will give you a sense of what physical qualities you want (ie scale length, nut width, neck size, etc). In this case the OP has been playing electric for a while so that might be less of a concern.

But at the end of the day it seems like the most important thing is to keep having fun with it. Like @guitargabor said, enjoy the hobby!
Old 11-20-2020, 03:53 PM

I'd suggest going to a few guitar stores and trying many different guitars from cheap all the way up to your max budget and the guitar will choose you. I definitely would not buy a j45 without testing it first, I was looking for a j45 a while ago, I played 3 of them, 1 was a complete dud, sounded dead, the other was ok, an the 3rd one sounded pretty **** good, so they can vary massively. However, I ended up getting an Eastman e10ss slope shoulder, I found the sound fitted me much better, it sounds incredible, plus it has an ADI spruce top, so if it sounds this good now, I can't imagine how good it will sound in years to come when the ADI top really starts to open up.

So again, my advise would be try,try and try many guitars, and you'll find one that suits you.
Old 11-20-2020, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawmow View Post
Nice problem...

I am not an electric player and became a fingerstyle many year ago now.

I do not know if electric players really stick to the acoustic world...
You would go from 0,010" to 0,012" gauge strings :
This is a big difference ! Did you try some ?

Nowadays, we can get nice guitars brand new under one gran and
even better used guitars under one gran.

My best suggestion : Look through used market so that if you do not want
to keep the beast, you would not loose money as selling a guitar bought brand new.

Second, be it used or new, look carefully for neck bow and action :
Too high at first fret ? Bridge shaved down to compensate a bowed neck ?
The first is easily corrected while the second is quite expensive to work.

I do not own a Gibson J-45 (I need 1,75" nut width) but I read many times
here and there that the "working horse" used to suffer quality issues :
So you have to try many before you find the one.

Now, here are some suggestions under one gran, since I own these :
Alvarez AP66ESB (a parlor), Eastman AC122ce and Seagull Performer CW QIT.
I would say the Seagull is the best value so far.

I also own some Taylors, Gibsons, Larrivees, Martins, Guild
and I can say the Seagull has nothing to be shy of.

Taylor Academy series sounds great.

Good luck !

I'm an electric player. I put electric .008's on my first acoustic.
I'm now up to .011's
It's taken me 50 years to get there.
Old 11-20-2020, 04:18 PM

Pro: a nicer guitar will be easier to play and more inspiring, plus you will feel less pressure to progressively trade up.
Con: You don't yet know what you don't know. What you buy now may not be ideal for the player that you will become.

If I go back and total up all the lesser guitars bought while working up the food chain, I should have just bought the D-28 that I wanted. But then I would not have experienced extended ownership of those others, and learned some lessons. The Martin J-40 that I saved up for and bought as a "lifetime" guitar in 1990 got sold three years ago because it bothered my fretting hand (nut width and neck carve). Twenty minutes of playing and I was done for the day with an aching hand. I still have to be cautious of 1-11/16" Martin necks with the MLO neck carve when someone wants to hear their guitar. But I can play my other guitars for 2-3 hours at a time without hand pain.
Old 11-21-2020, 02:14 AM

Smile Go for the more expensive guitar!

The fact that you're drawn to the AD27 or AD17 or J-45 shows that you have an interest in better than entry level guitars. Since the J-45 is likely cheaper than the new AD27 or AD17, the J-45 should be a better choice. Your taste in guitars may change after sometime and you won't lose much if you buy a used J-45 versus a new AD27. Almost everyone likes a J-45 because it's an iconic guitar.

It's good if you can have someone (a friend) with more experience on acoustic guitars accompany you (if possible) to help you test if that J-45 is a good sounding guitar. If not, you can still trust your own judgement of how you think the guitar sounds. Ask the salesperson to play for you while you listen. It's important to get the guitar setup so that it's comfortable to play. Playing an acoustic guitar is more painful (on the fingertips) than playing an electric guitar.

Happy searching and hunting!
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 11-21-2020, 07:45 AM

My first acoustic was a Fender 140SCE, Fantastic sounding dread with electrics and an easier to play neck for under £300 including a case. Sounds good too.

Recently picked up a RK RD318 as i wanted a more vintage sound, again not an expensive guitar at £400. Apart from picking up a small travel 'beater' that will do me for a few years until I get a lot better (i'm having weekly classes too)

Whilst undoubtedly the J45 is a fab guitar, think I would be looking at boutique guitars once the price gets above £2k
Old 11-21-2020, 10:15 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameOver View Post
Hi all!

Love the thread and looking for advice...I picked up electric guitar this past January. Never played musical instruments in my life and I am really enjoying it. Weekly lesson with an instructor and now would like to purchase acoustic guitar.

I am doing my due diligence and trying them all out for some time now. I really like Taylor's AD27 but would love to try AD17 (black top) seems more versatile from what I read (anyone own one to give feedback). Issue is, does it make sense to spend this much early or I've been told to spend less and learn to play and hear what you want before dropping that kind of money?

Now my local dealer has a 2018 J-45 for $2,300 + HST (used/Canada) and I feel that is pretty sweet but again.....do I pull the reins and take a seat back with a more intro guitar?
Just starting out with acoustic and a $2,300 budget - I'd go with a Taylor 300 series. 314 or 310. Nice playing guitars with good tone and sustain.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-21-2020, 01:22 PM

Lightbulb

First and foremost, I am absolutely amazed at the amount of feedback and advice given on this topic....I truly thank you all!! I’ve been going back and forth to a few different places and trying them all. I also reached out to my instructor for his advice, as some have recommended! It’s amazing what you notice to like and not like trying out so many brands and price ranges. My heart kept going to the J-45, AD27 along with the Martin D-15. So, I headed to the shop who had all three to have a final listen/play. The sales staff got to know me for some reason, lol and one of them quickly mentioned a trade that just came in two hours ago and I had to try it! Loved the tone, felt comfortable to play and in immaculate shape. Price was approx $2000 Canadian cheaper all said and done to the ones I was planning to buy....Seagull S6 Slim with a hard case $450 Canadian!! Really lucked out here and so happy with my decision! Thanks again to all!!
Old 11-21-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameOver View Post
First and foremost, I am absolutely amazed at the amount of feedback and advice given on this topic....I truly thank you all!! I’ve been going back and forth to a few different places and trying them all. I also reached out to my instructor for his advice, as some have recommended! It’s amazing what you notice to like and not like trying out so many brands and price ranges. My heart kept going to the J-45, AD27 along with the Martin D-15. So, I headed to the shop who had all three to have a final listen/play. The sales staff got to know me for some reason, lol and one of them quickly mentioned a trade that just came in two hours ago and I had to try it! Loved the tone, felt comfortable to play and in immaculate shape. Price was approx $2000 Canadian cheaper all said and done to the ones I was planning to buy....Seagull S6 Slim with a hard case $450 Canadian!! Really lucked out here and so happy with my decision! Thanks again to all!!
Congratulations !!!
Old 11-21-2020, 03:27 PM

Default A thought

Spectacularly wonderful! Good going, and good for you to keep your mind on the goal!
Old 11-21-2020, 03:47 PM

seagull make fantastic guitars, I'm sure you'll enjoy that guitar for a very long time. When a guitar speaks to you, it just does.
Old 11-21-2020, 07:52 PM

J45 is sweet.
Also, if you want to spend a little less but still want a high end guitar, Godin is making higher end acoustic guitars under the Godin name now, check them out, good deals especially for us Canadians as they're made here so they don't have to ship across the border to Canada for us to get hit hard with the exchange rate.
https://godinguitars.com/product-cat...coustics/steel

Edit**
Sorry I didn't see you bought a Seagull, congrats, I've owned an S6 before and loved it, owned the Simon & Patrick Woodland Cedar as well, which is the same thing different headstock mostly, had that for 10 or so years. Going to sell my Pro Folk soon hopefully so I can buy another S&P Woodland Cedar again as I really regret selling it. Miss that unique cherry/Cedar combo.

Last edited by Wellington; 11-21-2020 at 09:21 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion