The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Yeah, that's the entire point of that photo.
Yeah, I should have read the text better. I guess a picture really is worth a thousand words.

Martin OM-28 Authentic 1931
Taylor Cocobolo GCce 2008 Fall Limited Edition
Paragon Cocobolo/cedar GOM
Cervantes Signature Rodriguez
Eastman Cabaret JB
Tacoma JM1612C
Old 06-28-2020, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Yeah, that's the entire point of that photo.
And the point of my post ... Kinda like wearing a dunce cap point down

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 06-28-2020, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
And the point of my post ... Kinda like wearing a dunce cap point down
Haha... Kev, you got a picture?
Old 06-28-2020, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Haha... Kev, you got a picture?
Ha , No I pulled that one from my imagination
Maybe the guy in photo is wearing this ball cap

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 06-28-2020, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

That would work.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Ha , No I pulled that one from my imagination
Maybe the guy in photo is wearing this ball cap

And he turned it around backwards so nobody would see the writing...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 06-28-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
I was surprised to see this article that investigated and concluded that outdoor protests weren’t the source of any significant coronavirus growth. The article focused on the state of Utah, but wasn't limited to that state. Remarkably, "Given that there have been 4,613 positive cases in Salt Lake County in June, according to the health department, and thousands of people who attended protests over the course of multiple weeks, [there were] only five cases tied to the protests..."
Looks like Houston is having the opposite problem. Honestly it’s hard to trust several sources in either direction.

On the lighter side, the baseball hat pic is hilarious .
Old 06-28-2020, 10:01 PM

96 new cases here in my county today, the highest spike to date going all the way back to date. That’s nothing compared to the entire state of Florida which has had 9000 IIRC. Whether it’s only young people getting tested and the ICUs still only being at 25% capacity is immaterial. Contact tracing here has shown that some of the new cases were brought back from vacations in Florida, South Carolina, etc. and were likely contracted in bars and restaurants while not wearing masks. The rest are people 21-49 crowding into bars here so as such, our county will be closing bars and ceasing liquor sales in restaurants effective 5pm Tuesday.

Talk about liquor causing poor life choices!
Old 06-29-2020, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post
Looks like Houston is having the opposite problem. Honestly it’s hard to trust several sources in either direction.

On the lighter side, the baseball hat pic is hilarious .
I continue to be baffled by the assertion that “it is hard to trust sources”, or the similar “we have lost faith in the experts”. I understand that there is no source that has a perfect track record of consistency or accurate predictions...but I liken this to the inconsistencies encountered in any dynamic/chaotic situation, whether that be a military battle, a panicked crowd, an emergency surgery where there is a quick succession or cascade of urgent matters, a birth that is not proceeding normally, etc.

To get close to the truth, one must sort through the details, sort through the research and weigh the higher quality more than the lower quality research, sort through the differing perspectives, examine the timeline of events and changing perspectives....and still, much of the truth will only be known retrospectively. But I think it is safe to say that some of the analysis I am describing can only be done by highly trained medical professionals.

I am thankful that the vast majority of Americans choose to trust the opinions of medical professionals and the CDC. I am also thankful that there are still many threads of altruism and compassion woven into our culture. Self-crnteredness and emphasizing personal liberty is not the solution to this predicament, nor to many of the modern predicaments. IMO.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:53 AM

NYC
June 29, 2020

One of many things I find concerning and confusing is the parameters of the asymptomatic carrier- it may be that different parts of America are subject to different strains of this virus and one is more contagious than another.

From the statistics Florida seems to have a very contagious variety and NY government is looking into a Weschester spike resultant they think from contact with a carrier from Florida who attended a graduation ceremony. Yet many states seem not to have been effected by the large crowds that the protests have drawn

Its not really clear to me whether contact with an asymptomatic carrier automatically infects, how long is an asymptomatic carrier able to do that or if all asymptomatic carriers are carrying the same strain.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
I continue to be baffled by the assertion that “it is hard to trust sources”, or the similar “we have lost faith in the experts”. I understand that there is no source that has a perfect track record of consistency or accurate predictions...but I liken this to the inconsistencies encountered in any dynamic/chaotic situation, whether that be a military battle, a panicked crowd, an emergency surgery where there is a quick succession or cascade of urgent matters, a birth that is not proceeding normally, etc.

To get close to the truth, one must sort through the details, sort through the research and weigh the higher quality more than the lower quality research, sort through the differing perspectives, examine the timeline of events and changing perspectives....and still, much of the truth will only be known retrospectively. But I think it is safe to say that some of the analysis I am describing can only be done by highly trained medical professionals.
You hit the nail on the head Rich. And there is a bias in all media to go for the emotional story when in actuality, the vast majority of COVID infections are no big deal. This is not meant to minimize the threat of this virus as it can become life-threatening very quickly.

Gradually, I see things starting to sort themselves out. Fingers are crossed.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide496 View Post
NYC
June 29, 2020

One of many things I find concerning and confusing is the parameters of the asymptomatic carrier- it may be that different parts of America are subject to different strains of this virus and one is more contagious than another.

From the statistics Florida seems to have a very contagious variety and NY government is looking into a Weschester spike resultant they think from contact with a carrier from Florida who attended a graduation ceremony. Yet many states seem not to have been effected by the large crowds that the protests have drawn

Its not really clear to me whether contact with an asymptomatic carrier automatically infects, how long is an asymptomatic carrier able to do that or if all asymptomatic carriers are carrying the same strain.
This has been stated multiple times BUT needs to be repeated enough times that it becomes general knowledge .
This is a "NOVEL" Virus ( new that had not been previously identified ) and thus info will be changing and evolving as time goes on . And that is what the problem is, people do not like uncertainty or the unexplained and often resort to concocted theories to try to explain away that uncertainty.

But back to your questions::: Yes there could be different strains. BUT we currently do not know for certain (yet) BUT I think there are far too many variables to draw much in the way of conclusions from the wide variation of situations and or the differences in infection rates .
For example it is not very accurate to compare a graduation ceremony ( for which tracking is likely possible) to a street demonstration for which tracking is virtually impossible.

But I think it is safe to say
No,,, infection is probably not totally "automatic" with exposure , because everyones immune system is different

BUT , it was known fairly early on, like back in Covid 19 thread #1 or #2 (maybe Feb- March ),
#1 That people can be infected and potentially contagious for up to 14 days before showing symptoms.
#2 That people can be infected and not show symptoms at all.
#3 It appears that people (both those showing symptoms and those that remain asymptomatic) , do develop antibodies (which is how we know they were infected ) and at some point those antibodies will kill off the infection. (I don't know if they have determined a time frame yet) And we do not know how log those antibodies will remain effective.

My brothers X wife (who is an emergency room head nurse, who is 68 but healthy, and likely has a highly developed immune system from her job ) was never symptomatic at all, but did in fact test positive for antibodies during the course of routine periodic testing for her and her staff (I do not know the time frame)

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 06-29-2020 at 08:57 AM.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
. . . the vast majority of COVID infections are no big deal.
I hope you're right, but because this virus is so new, there is actually no way of knowing right now whether this is true. It could turn out to be "no big deal," or it could turn out to be one of those viruses that cause problems years or even decades down the road. Chickenpox is no big deal for most kids, but shingles can cause serious problems for those same kids decades later. Human papillomavirus usually has no symptoms at all, but in some people it eventually causes cancer. Hopefully COVID-19 will turn out to be "no big deal" for most of the people who get it, but I'm not willing to bet my life on it at this point.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd612 View Post
I hope you're right, but because this virus is so new, there is actually no way of knowing right now whether this is true. It could turn out to be "no big deal," or it could turn out to be one of those viruses that cause problems years or even decades down the road. Chickenpox is no big deal for most kids, but shingles can cause serious problems for those same kids decades later. Human papillomavirus usually has no symptoms at all, but in some people it eventually causes cancer. Hopefully COVID-19 will turn out to be "no big deal" for most of the people who get it, but I'm not willing to bet my life on it at this point.
You raise some points that I hadn’t considered. Thank You. The issue of how to live with the many uncertainties presented by the novel coronavirus (thanks Kevwind for timely reminders) remains. But, more and more, it appears humility and caution are the most appropriate responses.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd612 View Post
Your point is well-taken. Let's all hope that we all can stay virus free.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic