The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

View Poll Results: When is it appropriate to pull out?
I'll pull out so long as I think the approaching car can manage to avoid hitting me 0 0%
I'll pull out so long as I think the approaching car won't have to "jam" on their brakes 0 0%
I'll pull out if I think the approaching car will have to brake lightly 1 1.12%
I'll pull out if I think the approaching car will only have to lift off the the gas for me 7 7.87%
I'll only pull out if I think the approaching car won't have to change anything for me 81 91.01%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2020, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Gone Daddy View Post
I live in Texas, so I don't pull out in front of no one- unless I suddenly feel like getting shot!

At my ripe old age now, I don't do anything behind the wheel that might cause anyone to get too overly-emotional about.

And if the cops pull me over, I just hold up both hands and say- DON'T SHOOT! DON'T SHOOT!
I pretty much just wait it out. Not because I am considerate of others necissarily, which I am though, but mostly because I'm never in a hurry. But I am not as perfect as some people seem to think they are. It irritates me when people get all in my face and flip me off when they situate themselves in my blind spot going down the interstate at seventy and I try to change lanes. I mean, come on, like there is someone out there who has never done that. Anyway, like I said, I'm never in a hurry and I'm not a competitive person. I do however take my turn when I'm sitting at a four way stop and I don't slow down abruptly and disrupt the flow of traffic for everyone else just to be the nice guy and let let someone in. I try to be predictable.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:07 AM

Thanks for the votes and replies so far!

It appears that NO ONE thinks it's reasonable to pull out when that would cause approaching traffic to have to brake heavily...

Which makes me wonder why it happens so frequently! Either people aren't looking before they pull out, or their ability to judge speed/distance/time is subpar.

I'm sure it's some of both (and likely for other reasons, also), but it's not uncommon for me to see the person look at me, and choose to pull out - so I think many people's judgement is just lousy. (which is troubling)

I'm not perfect, I've mis-judged in traffic and caused grief to others. I do try to learn from it and not do it again.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:09 AM

Here in Northern Alabama, there is a pervasive driving etiquette phenomenon I've never seen elsewhere:

Not using turn signal until way, way late. I was taught the blinker goes on well before you begin to brake. Aside from the lazy/entitled types, I'd say this is the "norm" everywhere else I've ever driven.

But here in Alabama, most people don't turn on the blinker until the braking is about done and they're JUST about to actually begin steering for your turn.

Infuriating to me. It's adding insult to injury. I'd rather they just be lazy and not bother with the blinker at all!
Old 06-29-2020, 09:20 AM

I can't pick one of those options, because none of those options includes the most basic choice of all:

"I'll pull out when I believe I can safely do so."
Old 06-29-2020, 01:31 PM

As stated before, I cannot claim to be perfect - only that I try to be less aggressive than the majority of drivers I come in contact with. This includes police officers who often seem to be the worst offenders - even when not in pursuit of violators or en route to a call. In fact, I'd go so far to say that for any number of reasons the ability of others to operate motor vehicles safely has become even more diminished in the last few months.

That being said, yesterday I nearly got into a confrontation with an aggressive driver. In our area there is a single lane underpass (a tunnel situated under an active rail line) with a blind turn at one end with only a stop sign at each end and no mirror or traffic signal to indicate right of way. After honking my horn and listening for a response I negotiated the turn and halfway through the tunnel found myself face to face with an enraged pickup truck driver. Not only was he not willing to stop, he seemed to actually want to enter into a confrontation by hanging out his window and yelling profanities. In my defense I heard no horn and he had no headlights on so I didn't see him until I was actually in the tunnel. Not only did he not yield but he continued to advance on me - even after I'd put my vehicle in reverse. I actually felt I was in danger of both a collision with his vehicle or the wall of the tunnel - and potentially another vehicle if one had followed me but had not cleared the blind turn. Once I exited the tunnel and made the turn there was still a length of road that was not wide enough for two vehicles to maintain safe distance - yet they other driver still didn't seem to care.

FWIW I'm even less likely to venture forth outside my neighborhood - much less challenge social distancing mandates in my area. Political beliefs and restrictions on our way of life have made socializing a risky endeavor.

As for driving, I'm copyrighting the term "COVIDiot driver." I'll be waiting for my royalty check from All State, State Farm, Progressive, Liberty Mutual, Geico, et al should they decide to use that term in their catchy cutesy commercials.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
Thanks for the votes and replies so far!

It appears that NO ONE thinks it's reasonable to pull out when that would cause approaching traffic to have to brake heavily...

Which makes me wonder why it happens so frequently! Either people aren't looking before they pull out, or their ability to judge speed/distance/time is subpar.

I'm sure it's some of both (and likely for other reasons, also), but it's not uncommon for me to see the person look at me, and choose to pull out - so I think many people's judgement is just lousy. (which is troubling)

I'm not perfect, I've mis-judged in traffic and caused grief to others. I do try to learn from it and not do it again.
Quote:
Here in Northern Alabama, there is a pervasive driving etiquette phenomenon I've never seen elsewhere:

Not using turn signal until way, way late. I was taught the blinker goes on well before you begin to brake. Aside from the lazy/entitled types, I'd say this is the "norm" everywhere else I've ever driven.

But here in Alabama, most people don't turn on the blinker until the braking is about done and they're JUST about to actually begin steering for your turn.

Infuriating to me. It's adding insult to injury. I'd rather they just be lazy and not bother with the blinker at all!
I think you are correct many peoples ability to judge the motion of other vehicles and judgement in general is suspect, and no doubts contributes to the issue probably more so than the true jerk that just doesn't care. Doesn't make them any less of a problem but maybe a bit less dangerous elsewhere on the road .

And not signaling until actually turning the steering wheel is not confined to your neck of woods and seems to on the rise just about everywhere I drive (mostly the intermountain states) Yes learning to drive in mid 60's the SBT ---Signal, Brake, Turn, rule, was definitely emphasized, and not doing so does give me the occasional opportunity for an "expletive deleted"

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 06-29-2020, 05:41 PM

I only pull out "unsafely" when the guy coming speeds up to not allow me to pull out safely.

scott
Old 06-29-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:

Let's face it, we live in a very selfish society, and one I have very low expectations for. Therefore, when someone does something "nice" I find a way to acknowledge them for their effort.

I'm never shocked by the stuff I see on the road on a daily basis. Don't even start me on the fella that drives in the fast lane below the speed limit and will not budge no matter how many are behind him.

scott
Old 06-29-2020, 07:24 PM

I don't know that selfishness explains the late blinker.

Selfish would be not bothering to use the blinker altogether, because you don't care, or simply can't be bothered to put forth the "effort".

But the late blinker indicates they care enough to signal, and ARE willing to put forth the effort.

To me, it seems like they've never really stopped for moment to think about how the whole thing works. Which kinda implies they themselves have never been annoyed by the person they're following doing the late blinker thing - which implies there is really not much "thought" going on, period. Troubling.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Default You guys have blinkers?

Quote:

Selfish would be not bothering to use the blinker altogether, because you don't care, or simply can't be bothered to put forth the "effort".

But the late blinker indicates they care enough to signal, and ARE willing to put forth the effort.

To me, it seems like they've never really stopped for moment to think about how the whole thing works. Which kinda implies they themselves have never been annoyed by the person they're following doing the late blinker thing - which implies there is really not much "thought" going on, period. Troubling.
I’d assumed the cars shipped to Ga and ALa didn’t come standard with blinkers since nobody knew what they were for.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 06-30-2020, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Driving etiquette is an oxymoron isn't it? Where I live anything goes and usually does. Our city is a size that people that can't see or think can still get away with driving. Cellphones have taken the place of drunk drivers. And then road rage and people in a hurry are always in the mix. People stop to make right hand turns. Others may stop on a corner with no stop sign to wave on the person at a stop sign. Driving etiquette..... funny

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 06-30-2020, 09:02 AM

I drive a beat up old truck. Everyone else gives me lots of room.
~Bob
Old 06-30-2020, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

What always runs through my mind is "It's a turn indicator, not a turn confirmer".
Old 07-01-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungBeatle View Post
I drive a beat up old truck. Everyone else gives me lots of room.
~Bob
So you were the guy who nearly ran me into the wall in that tunnel? You're lucky I wasn't in my minivan that I live in down by the river. It's paid for.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:21 PM

I'm sure these are different answers than my teen years. They are influenced by time spent driving semi and losing a family member to someone's bad behavior behind the wheel.

I really try to do a good job at polite behind the wheel and safe behind the wheel. My action sports satisfy things some foolish people fulfill while driving.

So far I've not messed up behind the wheel and I hope it stays that way.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic