The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-06-2020, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Default NEBD (New Exercise Bike Day).......

I really miss my regular swimming prior to my club's shutdown, and I haven't yet warmed up to going back so I've been on the lookout for a Schwinn Airdyne exercise bike. I suppose due to the gym shutdowns, Schwinn Airdynes have been really tough to find. Schwinn Fitness didn't have any, stores didn't have any and the used ones I saw online sold really fast and for top dollar. In addition, they always seemed to show up in places where I wasn't. I just came back from Philadelphia and looked online up there, but the back of my CRV was filled with guitars and luggage.

So when I got home last night I checked Facebook Marketplace, and there was a like new Schwinn AD7 (actually a step up from the one I was planning to order from Schwinn Fitness) in Charlottesville for a very decent price. And then I was able to get it for even $50 less. Unfortunately it was in a second story bedroom, and I ended up having to bring it down the steps although the heavy work was done by their lawn guy who supported the business end of this 113 pound exercise bike. Then he and another lawn guy loaded it into my car. Unfortunately they weren't willing to come home with me to unload it, but fortunately I was able to get it out of the car and into my living room myself.

I've owned Schwinn's older model Airdynes, but this one is vastly improved. It has a very quiet belt drive, all kinds of things it will monitor electronically, a cool console with a built-in drink holder, larger wheel and fan, fore and aft seat adjustment and it seems very substantial. I like it....

PS-The definition of an unused exercise bike is when the seller sends a stranger upstairs to find the bike, and the seller doesn't know what room it's in. Or is that the definition of trust? Not sure which....
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 07:04 AM.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:58 PM

Holy Smokes - does it have a flux capacitor?

Ride it in fun and in health, RP.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Holy Smokes - does it have a flux capacitor?

Ride it in fun and in health, RP.
Thanks for that, Dru, but my attempt at health may be futile. It was pointed out that being >70 in Virginia right now is a death sentence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
There is the answer! If you are in your 70’s or 80’s ............don’t live in Virginia! Problem solved. Next question please.
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-07-2020, 06:31 AM

Default High Intensity Interval Training

Because you use so many muscle groups with the Airdyne it is perfect for high intensity interval training. It has two programs built into the console. One is 30 seconds full blast followed by 90 seconds of easy going for a total of eight intervals. In just 12 minutes it slays you but the health benefits are enormous.

Russ
Old 07-07-2020, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Thanks for that, Dru, but my attempt at health may be futile. It was pointed out that being >70 in Virginia right now is a death sentence...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjathon View Post
Because you use so many muscle groups with the Airdyne it is perfect for high intensity interval training. It has two programs built into the console. One is 30 seconds full blast followed by 90 seconds of easy going for a total of eight intervals. In just 12 minutes it slays you but the health benefits are enormous.

Russ
RP, I was going to say soon you'll be able to ride that baby out of Virginia, but now, I don't know. Dibs on your guitars.

That bike looks cool, though, so dibs on that as well. Just moving it is a full body HIIT workout.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
RP, I was going to say soon you'll be able to ride that baby out of Virginia, but now, I don't know. Dibs on your guitars.

That bike looks cool, though, so dibs on that as well. Just moving it is a full body HIIT workout.
It's all yours....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-07-2020, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Life is a death sentence. The only question is how long it takes for the appeals to run out...
Old 07-07-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
It's all yours....
WooHoo! NEBD! You are too kind. Take good care of it.
Old 07-07-2020, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Life is a death sentence. The only question is how long it takes for the appeals to run out...
I object!!
Old 07-07-2020, 11:47 PM

Congratulations, but is there a reason why you don’t have an actual bicycle for riding outdoors?
Old 07-08-2020, 12:06 AM
Charter Member

Congrats, RP! Your at-home gym.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
Congratulations, but is there a reason why you don’t have an actual bicycle for riding outdoors?
I'm not RP, but I can speak to at least some of the reasons many of us choose to exercise indoors:

Jobs that make exercise during daylight hours impossible much of the year;
Poor air quality making exercise outdoors unhealthy;
Weather that makes exercise outdoors dangerous; and
Traffic that makes exercise on the roads potentially deadly. (I quit riding on the roads after a close friend got hit by drivers who just weren't paying attention three times in less than 2 years. He survived and recovered, but I'm not going to ride a bike around here-too many terrible drivers.)
Old 07-08-2020, 06:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
I do have a bicycle and used to ride a lot, but between my my current lack of fitness and aversion to riding on the narrow hilly roads around my home I've have narrowed my riding interest to fairly flat rail-trails, greenways and the like. I returned to the pool yesterday and will continue to couple regular swims with "riding" the Airdyne several times per week. When I go to Virginia Beach I take my TREK Dual Sport 4 and thoroughly enjoy riding the boardwalk and trails at First Landing and False Cape State Parks....
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 07-08-2020 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:23 AM
Charter Member

I can understand riding indoors. It's a lot harder to get hit by a truck in here.

I've had a wind trainer for decades which is just fabulous. It lets you ride your own bike rather than an exercise bike. RP... if you really want to enjoy riding indoors, check out a trainer especially if you already have a bike. They're not terribly expensive and they last forever.
Old 07-08-2020, 02:30 PM

Hey RP, serious question, how does the butt feel after riding it? It looks like a well padded seat. When I used to ride a stationary bike I would put a pillow on top of the seat. Much more comfortable.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic