The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-29-2020, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Default Fishman Platinum Pro vs Baggs Venue with K&K

I'm looking for a new preamp to use with my K&K equipped guitars. Have been using a Pure XLR for the last year or two but haven't been all that happy with it, just a bit too harsh.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Fishman Platinum Pro and the Baggs Venue, but not sure if one might work better with the K&K, so curious to hear some opinions. I've also looked at the Red Eye but really want something with more EQ capabilities. Also have considered the ToneDexter but I don't have any nice mics (my "best" mic is a Shure SM57) and I'd rather not go down that rabbit hole.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:04 PM

I think you should go with ToneDexter, no IR. You can get decent results with your SM57, but you could also look around for a ToneDexter IR you could download that matches your pickup (plentiful) and instrument.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 06-30-2020, 04:31 AM

I tried or own some of them and really can recommend the Fishman with the K&K.
TD is great, but yes, it's a rabbit hole.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 06-30-2020, 06:33 AM

I'd rather have the Fishman Platinum Pro eq (all analog) than a computer based Tonedexter. You can also use a Fishman ToneDeQ which sounds good and has effects. You can find Youtube videos of K&k pickups with both of these. I own both and can recommend both.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:40 AM

If you don't bother with an IR, ToneDexter is just a full featured analog preamp physically built incredibly well (that is my EE opinion) that should you change your mind, could load or generate an IR.

I think to spend dramatically more than the $33 for a Behringer ADI21 and not get an IR loader/generator is not a good value with where technology is today.

At least a ToneDeq has effects and a compressor. It is not built like a tank but it is very light.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 06-30-2020, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Appreciate the thoughts so far! Have been leaning toward the Fishman lately so might just go that route.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:31 PM

I have a Baggs venue that works fine with K&K - also had a Fishman platinum stage. I liked using the low cut on the Fishman with the K&K

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 06-30-2020, 02:14 PM

Yes, Lo Cut and presence knob makes the Platinum Pro EQ a perfect choice with the K&K - as long as you do not want to go the TD route.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 06-30-2020, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
I'm looking for a new preamp to use with my K&K equipped guitars. Have been using a Pure XLR for the last year or two but haven't been all that happy with it, just a bit too harsh.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Fishman Platinum Pro and the Baggs Venue, but not sure if one might work better with the K&K, so curious to hear some opinions. I've also looked at the Red Eye but really want something with more EQ capabilities. Also have considered the ToneDexter but I don't have any nice mics (my "best" mic is a Shure SM57) and I'd rather not go down that rabbit hole.
Hi pagedr

I prefer the Fishman over the Aura, and both are great. The Fishman gives one more control over the signal…
  • Input gain
  • Ground lift
  • Adjustable Compressor
  • Low cut (adjustable)
  • Phase invert
  • Pre/Post EQ

Both of them have tuners built in, but they are actually pretty lame compared to a good clip on tuner. The tuner works as a good mute control…

Just my two cents worth…(which is worth less every year)

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-04-2020, 10:36 AM

Incoming opinion...kinda apples & beer also.

Fishman Platinum Pro. I had the Baggs Venue and yeah it does have an extra band of Para EQ I believe but I still prefer the Fishman. I like the design better.
In all fairness though, I didn't have a K&K guitar when I owned the Venue. My K&K Collings sounded ok with the Platinum Pro although I didn't really care for the K&K so I tossed it, so there's that. I had a ToneDexter with the K&K and it was certainly interesting. I have a Felix and it was decent with the K&K but...

Platinum Pro, it's solid and the Tuner actually works....at least for me. It's a little noisy though but bearable in a live situation, IMHO of course, if there are ever any more of those that is.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:00 AM

You might like this. I use it with K&K and Baggs pickups with success.

https://www.amazon.com/Fire-Eye-Deve.../dp/B0089EUZ4A
Old 07-04-2020, 02:22 PM

To the OP, I really think they are all rabbit holes. We get to where we want with trial and error. Thank God some of the rabbit holes have a bottom!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification