The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 02-12-2018, 03:23 PM

Mr. Clapton lives in Columbus, Ohio and has been known to stop in at Wildwood Music in Coshocton on occasion. We just missed him one day. Dang!
From what Don and Marty told us, he's just about at the end of his guitar playing days at least as we know him.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-12-2018, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

Got to say the movie was a bit of a downer for me. So much pain. Not as much emphasis on his music as I would have liked. Lots of drugs, alcohol, abuse, tragedy, adultery and acrimony, though
Old 02-12-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Got to say the movie was a bit of a downer for me. So much pain. Not as much emphasis on his music as I would have liked. Lots of drugs, alcohol, abuse, tragedy, adultery and acrimony, though
I'm thinking anyone watching that show would be very familiar with his music already but maybe not so much with the backstories.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:27 PM

It's an excruciatingly candid examination of Eric Clapton. A remarkable film--ultimately, an inspirational redemption story. Catch it if you can.

All kinds of astounding archival vintage footage found--including, unbelievably, a 1965 scene where Bob Dylan is actually watching a Bluesbreakers performance on television--and, Dylan is blown away by the lead guitarist (AKA, EC).

Too, they cover rather briefly EC's classic guitar work on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." Interestingly, the solo provided in the segment sounds quite like an early take without the audio tweaks added later by the sound engineer, after EC commented on his own guitar playing: "That just wasn't Beatley enough."

I was particularly interested in EC's Cream and Derek And The Dominos days. Some fascinating insights provided. Was great to hear Bobby Whitlock talk about D and the Ds.

Speaking of Cream, it's my own opinion that EC--before Cream broke up--never played "Sitting On Top Of The World" any better than this specific live rendition, from the Whisky A Go-Go, September 4, 1967--one of my very favorite Clapton solos of all time. The Detroit, Michigan, performance of SOTOTW from 10-10-1967 is also noteworthy, of course.

Last edited by Inyo; 09-15-2022 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:53 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
I'm thinking anyone watching that show would be very familiar with his music already but maybe not so much with the backstories.
I also found that the film focussed too much on the painful, dark side of Eric’s life. I didn’t mind that there was not much attention paid to his music, but surely, amidst all the sadness, he must have experienced many high points and periods of happiness throughout his life, but for whatever reason, it was way under-portrayed. I was left feeling sorry for him. I wonder if this is how he really wants to represent his legacy.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyo View Post
Speaking of Cream, it's my own opinion that EC never played "Sitting On Top Of The World" any better than this specific live rendition, from the Whisky A Go-Go, September 4, 1967--one of my very favorite Clapton solos of all time. The Detroit, Michigan, performance of SOTOTW from 10-10-1967 is also noteworthy, of course.
Interesting, for me It would probably be the reunion performance of that song at The Royal Albert Hall in 2005... But is could just the vast difference in the sound quality of the video's

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 02-14-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Mr. Clapton lives in Columbus, Ohio and has been known to stop in at Wildwood Music in Coshocton on occasion. We just missed him one day. Dang!
Wait, you're talking about Mr. Clapton the plumber who hangs out a Bowl-o-Rama, not Mr. Clapton who played with Cream, right?
Old 02-14-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyo View Post
Speaking of Cream, it's my own opinion that EC never played "Sitting On Top Of The World" any better than this specific live rendition, from the Whisky A Go-Go, September 4, 1967--one of my very favorite Clapton solos of all time. The Detroit, Michigan, performance of SOTOTW from 10-10-1967 is also noteworthy, of course.
I was always sorry he abandoned that fat Gibson-thru-Marshall tone for Strats-thru-Fenders tone in his later years. He lost his power and beefiness.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
I was always sorry he abandoned that fat Gibson-thru-Marshall tone for Strats-thru-Fenders tone in his later years. He lost his power and beefiness.
You must have missed his album: "From the Cradle"....Highly recommended for beefiness.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:29 AM

Never feel sorry for a millionaire.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:07 AM
Charter Member

I quit following Clapton after he left John Mayall. That's what got me really jazzed about guitar. After that I think he went down hill. I got his book for christmas one year and what I got out from that is he was a guy that was blessed/cursed with a guitar playing feel that turned him into a money making brand. It enabled him to be a drunk and drug addict cash cow. Everyone around him worked to make him look good so they could get paid.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 03-07-2018, 09:10 PM

I was pleased they skipped the "dating Sheryl Crow" years. Not even a mention. I was hoping for a little more meat on the 90's years when he got back into the blues.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:31 AM
Charter Member

Looking forward to this. SHO is killing it with their music documentaries. The George Michael doc was great, and the XTC one was simply outstanding!
Old 03-08-2018, 04:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
You must have missed his album: "From the Cradle"....Highly recommended for beefiness.
Yep! I saw him in NYC on that tour and he was a-MA-zing. 😳
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 03-19-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
Yep! I saw him in NYC on that tour and he was a-MA-zing. 😳
Me too, on his DC stop. Clarence 'Gatemouth' Brown opened. It was an outstanding show.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN