The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 06-13-2018, 07:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

Sad, thanks for the interview. Will try to maybe listen to this in the car. Always a crack-up.

Last time I saw Prine, during "Lake Marie," the whole audience was saying, "Sizzzzzzzling!" Also, in the line about what blood looks like on a black and white video, same thing, whole audience shouting, "Shadows!" That's gotta be a kick in the pants for John.

scott memmer
Old 06-24-2018, 12:34 AM
AGF Sponsor

Just love this guy. Your thoughts?

scott
Old 06-24-2018, 03:07 AM

Great interview with JP recently on “Fresh Air” with Terry Gross on NPR.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:01 AM
Charter Member

I got turned on to the first album back in the 70's by one of my buddies ... Learned the songs on that first album, my first was 'Paradise'. And the rest spawned my love of finger picking.

And guess what? I drove 5 hours to see him a few weeks ago, and he's just as great! Maybe more so. He did all the 'Tree of Forgiveness' plus many old classics (Hello, Angel, Pipedream, Flag Decal, Abby, etc). At the end, I was disappointed because he hadn't done 'Paradise'.

.... Until he came back out and did it encore-style with full backup. That's when I got misty. Truly a high point of the year this year.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

Very honestly, although I’d known the name many years through my time in music as a singer & in the radio business for years...since I was really more into hard rock and things of that nature, Prine’s music wasn’t anything I listened to or even had a desire for.

Years have past, and tastes have changed with maturity. Now, I’m 59 and attempting to learn my instrument. My tastes have changed to more folk, Americana & country since my instrument of choice is an acoustic guitar...so I’ve begun to listen to John’s music...and I am completely fascinated by his words and the amazing way he weaves words and effects emotions with them. Everybody pisses & moans about getting older...but I feel like I’m happy to have made it so that I can finally appreciate the finer things in life...and the music of John Prine is but one example.

I would jump at the opportunity to see him in concert.
Old 06-24-2018, 02:01 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoawelch View Post
Great interview with JP recently on “Fresh Air” with Terry Gross on NPR.
Geo, gonna listen to it right now.

If anyone else is interested, here's the direct link:

https://www.npr.org/programs/fresh-a...-01/09/2004-01

sm
Old 06-24-2018, 02:08 PM

He will be 3 hours away from me next Saturday! I am tempted to just go by myself, but don't know how the wife would react? Lol.

She is not a fan of his and a ticket for her would be a waste of $100. I don't know what to do. I'm probably gonna pass and really regret it.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:48 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaptonWannabe2 View Post
He will be 3 hours away from me next Saturday! I am tempted to just go by myself, but don't know how the wife would react? Lol.

She is not a fan of his and a ticket for her would be a waste of $100. I don't know what to do. I'm probably gonna pass and really regret it.
CW:

A lot of folks are unaware that if you wait till the day before the show, or even the day of, you can snag awesome seats at face value. For one thing, the band has to release its ununsed comps before the show. Second, good ebay scalpers unload their unsold tix a few days before the show. They've already made their money on previous sales and are just trying to get out from under their remaining tix and get out while the getting's good.

Using this technique over the past decade or so, I've gotten the following tickets, all at face value:

Van Halen: 6th row pit
Jackson Browne: 3rd row
John Prine, 2nd row, center, pit
Paul Simon, 4th row, center, pit
Buffalo Springfield Reunion, 8th row

I swear on a stack of Bibles this is true.

Scott Memmer
Old 06-24-2018, 04:52 PM

John Prine is an absolute genius because of the relative simplicity of his music, words, subjects.
At a family reunion recently, we were having a jam and my turn came up and I played Angel from Montgomery. The other players were easily able to strum along and the relatives in the general crowd were as quiet as I've ever seen them. And not because I'm good or anything. But the folks here are country folks, mostly ranchers or descendants of. Words like "rodeo", "flys in the kitchen" and "Cowboys" catch the ears and they pay attention. The subject matter got to them, and they could sort of relate. Afterwards I had many questions about the song, writer, do I have copies etc.
John Prine at his finest. As somebody famous once said, "Three cords and the truth".
Taylor T5Z
Big Muddy Mandolin-Ziricote b&s
Old 06-28-2018, 10:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62&climbing View Post
John Prine is an absolute genius because of the relative simplicity of his music, words, subjects.
At a family reunion recently, we were having a jam and my turn came up and I played Angel from Montgomery. The other players were easily able to strum along and the relatives in the general crowd were as quiet as I've ever seen them. And not because I'm good or anything. But the folks here are country folks, mostly ranchers or descendants of. Words like "rodeo", "flys in the kitchen" and "Cowboys" catch the ears and they pay attention. The subject matter got to them, and they could sort of relate. Afterwards I had many questions about the song, writer, do I have copies etc.
John Prine at his finest. As somebody famous once said, "Three cords and the truth".
Yep, that's John. And that simplicity and directness are a trademark of all great art. Plus, it is distinctly American.

So glad the music of John Prine is in my life.

scott memmer
Old 07-06-2018, 12:24 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
Very honestly, although I’d known the name many years through my time in music as a singer & in the radio business for years...since I was really more into hard rock and things of that nature, Prine’s music wasn’t anything I listened to or even had a desire for.

Years have past, and tastes have changed with maturity. Now, I’m 59 and attempting to learn my instrument. My tastes have changed to more folk, Americana & country since my instrument of choice is an acoustic guitar...so I’ve begun to listen to John’s music...and I am completely fascinated by his words and the amazing way he weaves words and effects emotions with them. Everybody pisses & moans about getting older...but I feel like I’m happy to have made it so that I can finally appreciate the finer things in life...and the music of John Prine is but one example.

I would jump at the opportunity to see him in concert.
Jump on it when you can, Davis. He won't be out there too much longer.

scott memmer
Old 07-07-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sad99 View Post
No Red Rocks show for John this year, so I have to wait until November when he comes to Breckenridge. Almost 10,000 feet high. Wonder if he's ever sung at that altitude before.

I bet he’s sung pretty high before! I’m seeing him at the Buell in Denver a couple days after the Breck show. My wife was nice enough to buy us tickets for Christmas. Can’t wait! He’s been sounding energized in all the interviews I’ve heard him giving in support of the new album, so I’m hoping for Prine shows for years to come.

Any fellow Denverites want to form a John Prine cover band with me?
Old 07-08-2018, 01:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentKooper View Post
I bet he’s sung pretty high before! I’m seeing him at the Buell in Denver a couple days after the Breck show. My wife was nice enough to buy us tickets for Christmas. Can’t wait! He’s been sounding energized in all the interviews I’ve heard him giving in support of the new album, so I’m hoping for Prine shows for years to come.

Any fellow Denverites want to form a John Prine cover band with me?
Koop, if I didn't live in L.A. but Denver, I'd be all over that band.

scott memmer
Old 07-08-2018, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Now if this was a John Prine and Steve Goodman cover band, he'd probably commute!!!!!!
Old 07-08-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Now if this was a John Prine and Steve Goodman cover band, he'd probably commute!!!!!!

I’d be up for that!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN