The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-05-2019, 04:15 PM

Default Guitar case humidity systems

Hi all, I'm looking for recommendations for a good humidity system in a guitar case. I currently have the Daddario humidipaks, but it seems like in the winter they are completely dry and in the summer they are bags of water.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:59 PM

That's kind of how they work though. In the Winter the air is dryer so they put out moisture and get dry. In the summer they soak the humidity from the air and so get "wet". You likely either need to replace them more often, do a better job of monitoring them or both. I can't say more than that as I just use the sponge in a soap dish (with holes drilled) method on all my guitars.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amwolf607 View Post
Hi all, I'm looking for recommendations for a good humidity system in a guitar case. I currently have the Daddario humidipaks, but it seems like in the winter they are completely dry and in the summer they are bags of water.
I use Humipaks as well. They hold up fine over the summer, but need changing every few weeks in the winter. I don't simply replace them though, once they're dried out I soak them in distilled water for a day or two to recharge them. I have plenty to keep in rotation, and it works great.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:43 PM

I happen to live in guitar-friendly climate, but if I ever needed to put a humidifying thing in my guitar case, I'd want to be super sure there's not going to be leakage.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:35 PM

Since joining this forum a while back, if there's something one thing that is a constant thread, it's humidifying guitars.
Check in the archives - there must be over a hundred, and the posts are consistent.
1977 Alvarez Yairi DY 57 / 2002 Martin DC-1E/ 2010 The Loar LH-700-VS/ 2012 Taylor Mini GS / 2015 Taylor 150e / 2015 Taylor 324ce SEB / 2018 Taylor 214e DLX / 2020 Taylor AD12e / 2021 Gibson J-185ce / 2022 Martin 000-15M
... and some electrics and such.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Beamish View Post
I happen to live in guitar-friendly climate, but if I ever needed to put a humidifying thing in my guitar case, I'd want to be super sure there's not going to be leakage.
One of the reasons I make my own. That way I'm in control of the amount of liquid being used. A damp sponge in a soap holder isn't going to leak at all, just slowly release the moisture into the air in the case.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
....I just use the sponge in a soap dish (with holes drilled) method on all my guitars.
Same here, but I just use a sponge in a baggie stuck with holes. Gotta check 'em every week or so. Need more moisture? Don't squeeze so much water out of the sponge.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 12-06-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Adams View Post
I use Humipaks as well. They hold up fine over the summer, but need changing every few weeks in the winter. I don't simply replace them though, once they're dried out I soak them in distilled water for a day or two to recharge them. I have plenty to keep in rotation, and it works great.
So you literally place the humidipaks in water? Are they submerged? I never attempted recharging mine because when I researched what people do, it was always said not to put them it water, but instead to find a way to enclose them in a container with water but suspended out of the water. The water doesn't damage the outside of the pack? I have a few lying around - I might as well try it!

Last edited by LoveTheDrake; 12-06-2019 at 07:00 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-06-2019, 07:15 AM

My "complaint" about these is that I prefer to put the moisture where it's most needed, inside the guitar's body. Sponge boxes, at least in my cases, have to either fit in the accessory compartment or maybe under the head where it can rattle around. But they work and are cheap and easily constructed. I use pouches of waterbeads put in fleece jackets connected together so i can drape it over the strings and into the body cavity. Nothing to drip and nothing wet on the outside to touch any part of the guitar.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
Same here, but I just use a sponge in a baggie stuck with holes. Gotta check 'em every week or so. Need more moisture? Don't squeeze so much water out of the sponge.
That's what I do also, and I place the baggie through the sound hole and inside the guitar body.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:29 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveTheDrake View Post
So you literally place the humidipaks in water? Are they submerged? I never attempted recharging mine because when I researched what people do, it was always said not to put them it water, but instead to find a way to enclose them in a container with water but suspended out of the water. The water doesn't damage the outside of the pack? I have a few lying around - I might as well try it!
I’ve been using Humidipaks for years and they work great. The new pouches that hold them are leakproof. I rehydrate them...but would never put them directly in water. Here’s the system I use...and it saves me a bundle.

Old 12-06-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
I’ve been using Humidipaks for years and they work great. The new pouches that hold them are leakproof. I rehydrate them...but would never put them directly in water. Here’s the system I use...and it saves me a bundle.
Thanks - About how long does it take to rehydrate the paks with that setup?
Old 12-06-2019, 07:37 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

A few days to a week if the packets are really dry...

Old 12-06-2019, 08:24 AM

The Herco clay packs are by fare the easiest and most reliable humidifier I have ever used. You over fill them with water for 5 minutes. After the first soak all you have do do is sprinkle a little water in them 1 or 2 times a month depending on the conditions. The trick is always use filtered or bottle water and never ever use tap water. My cases are always 46-52% year round.

Assuming your not using a super cheap gig bag that does not hold in humidity putting humidifiers inside guitars has almost no upside. In extremely rare cases when ultra plush lid fabric will block the sound hole you may require a pack inside your guitar. Thats it. The craze about sound hole humidification is just a fad. Thats not how humidity works. Thats not how it is distributed through the space inside the case and your guitar. There is not one spec of science around it. All you are doing is risking damage to your guitar. Putting moisture rich devices inside a guitar is the LAST place you want one statistically.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveTheDrake View Post
Yes, I submerge them. Initially I tried just putting them in a container with water and letting them absorb the vapor, but it took forever to recharge them that way. Soaking them gets the job done a whole lot faster, and seems to have no negative effects on the packs so far.

When I remove them from the water I wrap them in paper towels and let them sit out for a couple hours. Once they're dry I put them in an airtight container separated by paper towels, where they stay until I need to use them. It's not fancy but it seems to work well.

I have a few packs that need to be recharged soon. I'll try to get some pics to document my process.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion