The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 09-24-2014, 08:37 AM

Still have mine! Dual cassette deck, 1st-gen CD player (single disc) which doesn't play CD-Rs any more, tuner and amp-preamp. Replaced the turntable twice (first one was crappy generic, 2nd one direct drive died). Big hulking speakers with 12" woofers!

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 09-24-2014, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

I still have a component system and don't plan on switching, not anytime soon! Unless my space requirements force me to jettison my LPs and CDs, I imagine I will always have something along those lines.

Currently, I have an NAD "power envelope" 7600 amp/receiver that I bought in the late 80's... the thing has truly been bulletproof! Paired with a set of bookshelf B&W speakers, they sound wonderful for all types of music that I like, very transparent and even response...

When my dad passed away, he left me his original JBL L-1's. They are solid teak/mahogany cabinets on turned stainless steel legs, probably 2' cubes. VERY power efficient, like 1 watt gets them plenty loud... but they're a bit ungainly, so I have them stashed at a friend's home in Portland...

I am really surprised at how many folks actually listen to compressed squashed mp3 files and the like. Even with 63 year old ears that have played live music for decades (and went to a lot of concerts where I just HAD to get as close as I could to the stage), I can hear how poor those files sound. I know there's a lot of convenience to having a bazillion songs on an ipod, but if I care about the music at all, I would not be satisfied with that format...

...and I pretty much ONLY listen to music that I care about, so it's good gear or nothing, for me...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 09-24-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
I still have a component system and don't plan on switching, not anytime soon! Unless my space requirements force me to jettison my LPs and CDs, I imagine I will always have something along those lines.

Currently, I have an NAD "power envelope" 7600 amp/receiver that I bought in the late 80's... the thing has truly been bulletproof! Paired with a set of bookshelf B&W speakers, they sound wonderful for all types of music that I like, very transparent and even response...

When my dad passed away, he left me his original JBL L-1's. They are solid teak/mahogany cabinets on turned stainless steel legs, probably 2' cubes. VERY power efficient, like 1 watt gets them plenty loud... but they're a bit ungainly, so I have them stashed at a friend's home in Portland...

I am really surprised at how many folks actually listen to compressed squashed mp3 files and the like. Even with 63 year old ears that have played live music for decades (and went to a lot of concerts where I just HAD to get as close as I could to the stage), I can hear how poor those files sound. I know there's a lot of convenience to having a bazillion songs on an ipod, but if I care about the music at all, I would not be satisfied with that format...

...and I pretty much ONLY listen to music that I care about, so it's good gear or nothing, for me...
LP's and CD's definitely sound better than MP3's. However, a lot depends on the DAC or Digital to Analog Converter which is the device in all CD players and MP3 players which convert the digital signal to analog. I have a decent external DAC for my computer and it makes 320 kps and higher MP3 sound very good. Very hard to distinguish from a CD with its standard DAC. I have been listening though to high def. music which is a format which is recorded higher than CD quality. They sound amazing!
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 09-24-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
When my dad passed away, he left me his original JBL L-1's. They are solid teak/mahogany cabinets on turned stainless steel legs, probably 2' cubes. VERY power efficient, like 1 watt gets them plenty loud... but they're a bit ungainly, so I have them stashed at a friend's home in Portland…
You seem to be describing a different speaker system so I may not have found the right one but are these the L-1s you mention? If so, their manual lists a sensitivity of 87 dB (1 watt @ 1 meter).

Old 09-25-2014, 07:27 AM

Upgraded 2 years ago.

This + Linn Majik CD player and Vandersteen 2CE Sig II speakers.

Need to add a DAC and streamer in the future.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbuster View Post
Upgraded 2 years ago.

I have wanted one of those (well, over the years there have been various versions of McIntosh preamps and power amps that I coveted) ever since I took a Marantz integrated amp to a free McIntosh clinic back in the early ‘70s to have its distortion level measured (the test results were ever so slightly better than Marantz’s claim). I spent quite a bit of time at the clinic asking the McIntosh engineer questions which he enthusiastically answered.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:34 AM

My system purchased in 1976 while serving in the US Army in Germany was:
Harmon/Kardon A430 twin powered receiver
Pioneer SG 9500 graphic equalizer
2) Sansui SP 2500 speakers
Technics turntable
Akai cassette deck
My teenage sons destroyed the speakers and the Harmon Kardon just died at some point.
But the Pioneer Equalizer lives on within my current sound equipment and just for fun I sometimes spin a few 33’s on the Technics.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwstl01 View Post
Ordered mine overseas through PACEX while in the Air Force in 1972. Still have it and it still works.

Pioneer SX-600 Receiver/Amp, Dual 1229 turntable, Akai GX-260-D tape deck, 2 Pioneer CS-99-A speakers (5-way, 15" woofers).

My plan was to play each record once and record it on tape, then play the tapes to death and re-record as needed. Figured the records would last forever! Who new the digital age would make them obsolete?

My oldest daughter "discovered" the record collection when she was 13, and I had to refurb the turntable and put it back into service. She couldn't get enough of the Monkeys, Beatles, PP&M etc. Nice legacy...
I too had same mentality of playing records only once to record to tape. Got a boatload of perfect LPs.

Taylor 214 CE
Epiphone PR-5E
Yamaha FG430 with Fishman Prefix Blender
Guild OM-260CE Deluxe Antique Burst with Fishman Ellipse Matrix Blend
Old 01-30-2019, 06:18 AM
Charter Member

What I remember was, back in the day, my friends and I would hang out and party listening to albums. Sometimes the talk would stop and then when the music stopped you'd hear "whoa". It seemed like every time an album came out it'd take the music a little further and a new threshold was crossed. I guess there's a limit to that.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-30-2019, 08:11 PM

Linn turntable
Quad electrostatic speakers
Pair of Luxman mono amps
Yamaha tuner
This was the roomates stuff.

I had Thorens turntable
2 pairs large Advent speakers in the stacked config.
Pair on McIntosh mono amps.
Fisher receiver modded to use the tuner.

The McIntosh amps did not sound quite right with the Quad's. The Luxman anps did not sound quite right with the stacked Advents. I also liked the Thorens better but mostly I thought the Linn was WAY overpriced.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN