The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-29-2019, 10:10 AM

Default SBT matched with which preamp?

Hi! Thanks for reading...

Ive a H&D TD-M fitted with a LR Baggs iBeam active preamp with 600 impedance. Im goin buying a preamp and am at odds which one to get between the Para DI, Headway EDB-2, and Radial PZ-Pre.

My main issue is that my P/U is an SBT (and muddy enough sounding tbh), and its hard enough to find threads regarding preamps and SBT's in particular. The Pz- Pre for example, has a magnetic input and a piezo input - since mine is neither of these, im guessin i just need the one with the best EQ so I can dial in what i need to hear in the difference?

I assume impedance is the only issue regarding the inputs or am i mistaken in this?

I already have a tuning pedal, but definitely wouldnt mind a boost function either, but i could buy a cheap boost/volume pedal seperately. The baggs venue is known for crappy tuning and doesnt have the eq options of the Para DI or the EDB-2, so im guessin that rules it out?

Any advice from you helpful altruists much appreciated
Old 07-29-2019, 10:23 AM

The active iBeam will drive anything because of its low impedance output. The Radial Magnetic/Piezo switch might engage some EQ that you could live without and maybe an input impedance change that won't matter with an active pickup, but ultimately your pickup is a buffered piezo SBT. I agree the Baggs tuner is not as good as others, but usable with the harmonic of the lower strings.

Find the product with the right features and don't worry about impedance.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 07-29-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimePickle View Post
…The baggs venue is known for crappy tuning and doesnt have the eq options of the Para DI or the EDB-2, so im guessin that rules it out?
Hi LP

Actually the Venue has ALL of the same adjustments of the Baggs ParaDI (with an additional sweepable midrange adjustment), 15 year newer technology, an adjustable boost switch, it's very stage friendly, artist friendly (all labels in English), and sound-tech friendly. It is the update to the ParaDI (and a good one).

The thing some artists ding it for is the lack of being able to power it with Phantom from the board. So it's internal 9V or power supply.

I use clip-on tuners even when a pedal has tuning built in, because the audience is "Out There" not "Down There". And if you are sitting, "Down There" is pretty much out of sight without leaning over.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-30-2019, 06:07 AM

Thanks a bunch for the replies folks!

I think you've both settled it for me, the venue it is. Tuning with harmonics could work for me, and i have a clip on and pedal tuner as well, so no problem there. Didnt realise the eq was the same (or that it was an update) as the PADI.

TBH, its all in one, small, lightweight, has a bag, and has the boost function too which i really do want as I play in a duo and have fingerstyle parts and soloish parts too. Was checking out boost pedals yesterday for ages and it seemed more hassle than i thought it was initially. Iv no problem buying 9V batteries as actually gettin a few gigs now so the odd fiver here and there wont be an issue.

The PZ pre is a bit expensive here at 370 on thomman.de, and doesnt have the eq options of the other pedals, and the rest have no boost function so its a no brainer here. I do confuse myself looking at so much conflicting info, so thanks again for clarifying the whole issue for me.

Just to be greedy....
we're going into a soundcraft mtk12 mxr, once im goin thru the venue, is it best just to leave the eq on the desk and do all from the DI, or does it not matter really which way i get the sound I want? ie. Does more EQ on the desk equal more degradation in sound quality or anything like that?
Old 07-30-2019, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimePickle View Post
we're going into a soundcraft mtk12 mxr, once im goin thru the venue, is it best just to leave the eq on the desk and do all from the DI, or does it not matter really which way i get the sound I want? ie. Does more EQ on the desk equal more degradation in sound quality or anything like that?
Either the mixer or the pedal will get the job done. The pedal's EQ frequencies and features are optimized for acoustic guitar, but the difference is subtle to most people.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 07-30-2019, 06:32 AM
AGF Sponsor

I have an LR Baggs Anthem in my Flammang, but I removed the saddle transducer, and instead plugged my Fishman SBT-E into that input.

Between the Baggs mic and the SBT I get a very palatable sound that’s easy to balance & work with.

I never even thought about impedance, etc. The hard part is soldering such a tiny connector!

Regards,
Howard Emerson

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
edb, para di, pre-amp, preamp, sbt